Best FM Programs?

Started by PACtoDOC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What FM programs are considered "top ten%" or simply which programs are know to be the best programs to get into? I figure if I am going to flush my future earning potential down the drain to do what I love, I should at least find an excellent program. When I think of great programs I think of JPS in Fort Worth, UW in Seattle, UNM in Albuquerque, Ventura County in Cali. Others anyone? What types of stats does it take to get into the top teir programs, or are there really not any top teir in FM. I just don't know enough about this issue, but it interests me greatly.
 
I would add contra costa county(ca), natividad medical ctr(ca), and tacoma family medicine(wa) to that list as well. all are stand alone(unopposed ) programs where the residents run the ED/ICU/ob services and act as primary surgeon on c-sections and the occassional appy
 
Thanks emed, I'll add them to my list. Since you are up that way, what do you see as the biggest barrier for a DO grad to getting into an FM program like OHSU, UW, where I cannot seem to find any DO alumns in their directory? I am just wondering if I ace the USMLE will I have a decent chance of getting in. I really like the UW program in Seattle from what I have read about them. Do few DO's apply up that way or are they just cliquish?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
most of the FM residencies up here have no problem with DO's, just very few DO applicants. there is a DO FM residency in portland, or at eastmoreland hospital. my impression is that they focus on outpt. practice. southwest washington medical center (level 2 trauma)(vancouver, wa)has a few DO's in their residency now and a few on staff in every dept.
 
PAC:
I cannot comment about the programs in Seattle or Portland, but can definitely say a word or two about UNM Albuquerque. I was accepted into their program. It is in my mind a great place to learn family and community medicine in an atmosphere that encourages independence, and research. Plus they have tremendous faculty, and an opportunity to do international rotations in your second and third years.
Eventually, you should chose the program that makes you feel comfortable, and where the residents seem happy. Of course, if you were to think about going into academics or pursuing a fellowship, having a "big name" behind you may help. If you are all about taking up a job in a small/mid sized community, then by all means, go where you please, you'll end up doing great.
Take care.
p.s. my stats were average.
 
IMHO,

Where did you go to med school? If you don't mind, when you get to your program, would you see what you can do to have a resident come give us a recruiting presentation? I am the president of our family medicine club and we bring in a program monthly, and I had originally got good feedback from UNM Albuquerque about coming. Now they are not returning my emails. The main reason I want to bring them in is because they are now dually accredited for AOA, ACGME. I talked a couple of times with Tiffany Snyder DO, and I was actually hoping she could come, but I think she is a 3rd year and will be gone. Any help you can give would be awesome! Thanks, and congrats on getting into what USNEWS calls the number 6 FM program in the country. I was there over Spring Break and if it wasn't so darn dry I might consider it. My nose peeled and bled for days!!! What I liked most was that the hospital was right in the middle of a neighborhood and right off the main campus of the university itself. You could be involved with medical student education and undergrad Lobo games!!!


Matt
 
I know a guy who got about a billion % on the USMLE's and went to a FP program in Kentucky - lots of people said it was the best, or one of them.

I know that's vague, but you might look into it.
 
Originally posted by PACtoDOC
...I figure if I am going to flush my future earning potential down the drain to do what I love...

Why is your earning potential so flushed? Won't you be able to have your own practice and create your own earnings eventually? I think you'll be able to live on your salary as a FP
 
If you're interested in going to one of the "top" FM programs and maybe doing academic family practice, how much does Step 1 score matter (kinda wondering, being as I am studying for it now -- should I put myself into high gear or relax a little?). And if FM programs don't consider board scores much, what else do they look at? (Beyond recommendations, which I assume are important).
 
Hey PAC:
I too have spoken with Tiffany on a couple of occasions. Seems like a really nice person, very helpful and forthcoming with information. Will keep you posted on the developments as they occur.
Mop:
Why wouldnt you want to try and perform your best on the boards? Admittedly, many FP programs dont really look at your scores as long as you have passed them but having an outstanding score can only help you. Perhaps in getting extra interviews, certainly not bad for your self esteem.Wouldnt hurt when time comes for applying into fellowship programs. So, by all means, try to crush the boards!
Most FP programs look at your people skills very carefully; the way you interact with your peers, attendings, and whether you appear to care about others etc.
 
Imhotep,

I'm stressed out! Now I have to go work on my damn people skills. I sound like the terminator for crying out loud. How's that gonna sound in an interview?

Why don't I go the whole hog and show up in a leather jacket and black sun glasses. I'll answer every question with "da!" or "hasta la vista, baby".

Seriously, us Scandinavians get flustered at the merest "how's it going?" We don't know what to say. I always feel like I have to come up with a complete summary of how I feel about life. Damn those lame people skills of mine.

I'll be back.
 
Oh, and nice sig......... (if you're shooting German scheisse porn, he he).
 
You are obviously beyond help. Might as well give it up right now. It's all over for you. Curtain call time. 🙂 The end/Fin/Finito


"gotta have colon!" lol
 
Bellkicker

I was in copenhagen a couple summers ago. that city had the best looking women of all the places i'd been in europe and i was there for 18 weeks
 
Originally posted by Imhotep
You are obviously beyond help. Might as well give it up right now. It's all over for you. Curtain call time. 🙂

The fat lady has sung (but then again, she could diet.......).

😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would those of you that wish to play footsie on the forum please keep your comments to each other restricted to private messages? People are being deterred from responding to a thread that
is useful because you guys take up useful space jerking each other's chains.
 
You're right. I actually thought about that when I posted. My apologies.

BellKicker.