Best GI fellowships for residents interested in hepatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDQS47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a resident interested in hepatology (pilot vs additional year after general GI training, unsure as of now). I was wondering, where are the best places in the country to do that? I have looked at what programs are transplant hepatology accredited, but I would love to get more insight!

I know of a few great programs: UCSF, Michigan (Anna Lok), Northwestern (Levitsky, Rinella), Yale (w/ Garcia-Tsao), etc. What about UChicago, Mayo (do you get enough clinical experience?), Columbia, OHSU, UW, Stanford, Wash U St. Louis?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to stay in research academia or clinical academia/practice?

Academia with 20% research and 80% clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)

If your plan is to do a transplant year but are not that into research I would strongly advise you to find a program that will let you do the pilot program and be done in 3 years. Don't waste yet another year of your life in training.

Reactions: 1 user
You should understand that, by this, they mean, "20% of your free time can be used for research, 100% of the time we pay you for will be used for clinical work. You are welcome to buy back some of that time with grant money, but it better come with indirects, or it's just going to be used to pay your research assistants."

Reactions: 1 user
This is kind of dumb question but are all transplant hepatologists academic? As someone who is interested in the clinical work of hepatology but not so much in research publications as part of my career and may or may not want to train fellows, are there opportunities to work as a private transplant hepatologist?

This is kind of dumb question but are all transplant hepatologists academic? As someone who is interested in the clinical work of hepatology but not so much in research publications as part of my career and may or may not want to train fellows, are there opportunities to work as a private transplant hepatologist?

Transplant centers tend to be larger academic hospitals but there are certain some pseudoacademic transplant centers.

Transplant Centers

Transplant centers tend to be larger academic hospitals but there are certain some pseudoacademic transplant centers.

Transplant Centers
Thanks for your reply. So then is the answer to my question no then? I'm not sure what a pseudoacademic transplant center means. Are you saying they don't have transplant fellows or no fellows at all and are the expectations entirely clinical work in these?

What's the current read on the success of the pilot program? Likely to stay around vs. convert permanently vs. stop altogether?