Best IM Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncgrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I would search for this if I could. Just wondering what people feel are the best (not necessarily most prestigious) categorical IM programs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Now this is probably totally hearsay, but a number of people I met felt that the Brigham & Women's Hospital Program and the Washington U St Louis/Barnes-Jewish Programs were the overall best-- while Hopkins and Mass General are certainly the most prestigious.

i agree wil hopkins, brigham and mass general... to add to thie list- i think columbia is tops in research and NYU is tops in terms of clinical education and exposure... also think u of chicago is another spectacular program

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an entirely subjective thing.

If by best you mean best "gold plated" name, then you can probably guess these: Hopkins, MGH, B&W, Columbia/New York Hosp, NYU, U of Chicago, UCSF, Stanford, etc.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If gold plating is your number one priority, then go for the gold. But there are a lot of excellent programs out there with slightly less weighty names that still afford their graduates excellent training and excellent felloship placement.

My final Rankings:

1. Brigham
2. Mass General
3. Columbia
4. U of Chicago
5. UCSF
6. NYU
7. Hopkins
8. Cornell
9. U of Pennsylvania
10. Beth Israel/Deakoness
11. Stanford
12. Mount Sinai, NY

Thanks for the replies! I am trying to compile a list of names to look into since I will be following my husband to wherever he gets a good post-doc position, so I will likely only have one or two cities to choose from. Luckily the places he is looking at include San Fran/Stanford, NYC, Boston, Seattle, etc. so I should hopefully have some good choices. I mostly want a solid program that will allow me to do a good fellowship afterwards. I would rather not go to a malignant program just for the name! Anyway, thanks for the info! uncgrad

What do you think about Texas Southwestern?

UTSW is one of the best programs in the nation. Often overlooked by northeasterners, UTSW has a very strong tradition in academic medicine, including 4 Nobel laureates on faculty. It is probably the strongest program in the state of Texas and likely the southern region of the US. I believe USNEWS ranked it 8th for IM. I interviewed there and found that it attracts the more "gung-ho" types....which was not my style. Parkland is a phenomenal training hospital and UTSW campus is very nice. From talking to residents, interns often cap out on call nights meaning that you are always busy. Thats good if you can learn solely on your feet (no pun intended), but bad if you like to supplement you hands-on experience with reading. Word has it that the outpatient experience is not very strong. As with many of the top ranked programs, residents at this program tend to have an aire of superiority, which is neither attractive nor helpful.

As for Dallas, it is a big, polluted, sprawling city with a cosmopolitan feel and some personality. Its flat, like Houston, but less hot and humid.

One day I mistakenly hit the Scutwork.com link at the top of the page, and found a great site. People actually rank and give details about their residency program. Hopefully this helps your search!