Best Indian Dentistry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiadenti

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a senior in high school right now, I was wondering what are the best schools in India for Dentistry. Also, which one of these are the best if you want to transfer as an advanced standing student to U.S. Thanks for any information.

California Dentist

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a senior in high school right now, I was wondering what are the best schools in India for Dentistry. Also, which one of these are the best if you want to transfer as an advanced standing student to U.S. Thanks for any information.

California Dentist
In my opinion any of the private schools are good ( easy also to get in), for example, MUHS dental Manipal(best), mangalore, DYpatil mumbai, RGUHS bangalore.You get really good GPA from private schools in comparison to govt. dental collleges in India. I hope it helps.

In my opinion any of the private schools are good ( easy also to get in), for example, MUHS dental Manipal(best), mangalore, DYpatil mumbai, RGUHS bangalore.You get really good GPA from private schools in comparison to govt. dental collleges in India. I hope it helps.

Thanks, I am applying to Manipal and SRMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

California Dentist

If your future plans involve even the SLIGHTEST possibility that you will want to practice dentistry in the US, don't go to dental school in India (or any other non-US/Canada country). You would be making a complicated, expensive, time consuming mistake. Trust me, I have first hand experience on this one.

If your future plans involve even the SLIGHTEST possibility that you will want to practice dentistry in the US, don't go to dental school in India (or any other non-US/Canada country). You would be making a complicated, expensive, time consuming mistake. Trust me, I have first hand experience on this one.

What Jaybe posted is absolutely true. I had trouble getting into residency...it took considerable amount of time, etc. Try getting into a dental school in U.S.
WireBender2010

well i am planin on joinin up at SRMC for dental this year..i heard its 1 among da best in india...1 of ma friends cousin studys there and she say its absolutely gr8...so im nearly 80% shure i will join for dental in india and if in india then SRMC for shure...and im not interested in workin in us but wat abt UK?...even if its difficult it aint impossible,rite?hard work pays of,rite?hope some1 will answer these questions and soon...
and californiadenti mabe we will b collegemates...who knows:)
cya

well..srmc is definetely grt for mbbs...but for bds i think you better reconsider your decision..facilities are def grt for bds too..but getting well with the staff is a bit difficult...me and lot of ppl after graduating from srmc are again here trying to enter dental schools..and coming to ur decision of pursuing in uk...many of my frnds are in a very difficult position...even they r trying for nbde part 1. as the exam pattern in uk is far difficult than usa...this is the case in 2007..you will be graduating after 5 yrs..think abt the competition u face after 5 yrs...my personal advice is u get into a dental school in usa..you will never regret ur decision..anyways all the best for your future..

SDM's (SDM College of Dental Sciences, Dharwad) , The Best

What Jaybe posted is absolutely true. I had trouble getting into residency...it took considerable amount of time, etc. Try getting into a dental school in U.S.
WireBender2010

I was wondering what exactly the problems were, I have a green card and soon will get citizenship, does that change things? Thanks for all the responses.

MANIPAL is the only school in INDIA which has 50% seats for foriegn students,
it not only helps international students to adjust better to the conditions but also its standards are as par as international ,
so dont committ a mistake of going to other school , other than MANIPAL UNIVERSITY

I was wondering what exactly the problems were, I have a green card and soon will get citizenship, does that change things? Thanks for all the responses.

No, it doesn't change things at all. A green card or citizenship will only make it easier for you to enter the US. If you want to practice dentistry here, the concern is with respect to your professional and educational credentials, not your immigration status.

There may come a time when certain foreign dental schools are ADA accredited (boy, is that a can of worms), but none are at this point in time.

Bottom line, you won't be able to get an unrestricted dental license with a foreign degree. Trust me on this one. If you want to live and practice dentistry in the US, just go to college and dental school in the US. It will be cheaper, quicker, simpler, and you won't have to pay bribes.

You just said dental education in US is easy, & cheap. Actually I have heard that admission for DDS is only after 3 yrs of college after Hsc & fees are also very high. Can you just give some info in this regard ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line, you won't be able to get an unrestricted dental license with a foreign degree. Trust me on this one. If you want to live and practice dentistry in the US, just go to college and dental school in the US. It will be cheaper, quicker, simpler, and you won't have to pay bribes.

I strongly disagree. With a foreign dental degree u would be able to get a license either by getting in an advanced standing (international dentist program) or by taking the bench test which is still offered (not in california anymore though). Once you recieve your state license there isn't a practival distinction between foreign and local grads (of course if you do advanced standing you won't be considered a foreign graduate).
However I agree with this posting on that it is advantageous to just move to the US now, go to college and then dental school (it's not cheaper by any means, even if you get into public university and counting the fees for advanced stading program).

I strongly disagree. With a foreign dental degree u would be able to get a license either by getting in an advanced standing (international dentist program) or by taking the bench test which is still offered (not in california anymore though). Once you recieve your state license there isn't a practival distinction between foreign and local grads (of course if you do advanced standing you won't be considered a foreign graduate).
However I agree with this posting on that it is advantageous to just move to the US now, go to college and then dental school (it's not cheaper by any means, even if you get into public university and counting the fees for advanced stading program).

Well, I happen to know this for a fact, since my wife is a FTD who just completed her Advanced standing program. Bench tests are for all practical purposes non-existent. Maybe one or two states have them.

An FTD can expect to pay 50,000 - 90,000 PER YEAR for 2 -3 years to complete their advanced standing program. 5 years for Indian BDS + 1-2 years sitting out studying for NBDE and getting ADV. standing admission and paying for living expenses in the US + 2-3 years Adv. Standing Program to get the DDS in order to finally get licensed = 9 - 11 years STUPID LONGER, and MORE EXPENSIVE OPTION than 4 years US college + 4 years US dental school.

Make life easy on yourself. If you are American (even if your skin is brown and your parents were born in India), just go to dental school in America.

Well, I happen to know this for a fact, since my wife is a FTD who just completed her Advanced standing program. Bench tests are for all practical purposes non-existent. Maybe one or two states have them.

An FTD can expect to pay 50,000 - 90,000 PER YEAR for 2 -3 years to complete their advanced standing program. 5 years for Indian BDS + 1-2 years sitting out studying for NBDE and getting ADV. standing admission and paying for living expenses in the US + 2-3 years Adv. Standing Program to get the DDS in order to finally get licensed = 9 - 11 years STUPID LONGER, and MORE EXPENSIVE OPTION than 4 years US college + 4 years US dental school.

Make life easy on yourself. If you are American (even if your skin is brown and your parents were born in India), just go to dental school in America.

True, also you can earn more while doing your four year college degree, both towards tuition and towards your resume by getting involved in research etc. You don't have that opportunity in your home country, India to be specific. It is a much easier and quicker route doing your school here.

I just wonder whether one can give DAT & get into a regular 4 year DDS after doing BDS in India. Can the seniors clear this point ?

Yes so you can try this path, in these states (I think Minnesota is one) if saving money is your primary goal. After you get your license and work for a couple of years you can get license by credentials in most states. So that's not a terrible option.

first $50,000-90,000 compared to what? I'll tell you, compared to $50,000-90,000 in many schools, since most private schools charge about the same for the adv. standing program and their regular DDS (examples are USC, UOP, tufts and many others), so unless you can guarantee you'll get into a regular DDS program in PUBLIC school then, there is no difference during the 2 years. Needless to say, public schools are more competitive, specially the decent ones.
Second, the overwhelming majority of programs are 2 years only (eg. UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC, Loma Linda, BU, tufts and many others). It's important to clarify that.
Third your proposed time line is something I have never seen done before, being a FTD myself who have just finished my adv. standing program. No one takes 2 years to study for part I and no one would spend these 2 years in the US unless burning dollars is a hobby of his. In reality most people study for a couple of months in their country and even apply from their ( you only need to be here to take the test itself and attend interviews).
Besides what about living expenses during the 8 years if you were to take the other option.
Having said that, there are some benefits to completing all of your education in the US. Specializing might be easy if you're interested, also you have a wider selection of dental schools to get into.

But is it possible to do BDS here in India, then give DAT during internship & then do a 4 year DDS in US ? I mean whether they accept such an international student who has done a 4 year BDS instead of 3-4 year liberal arts college after 12th ?

But is it possible to do BDS here in India, then give DAT during internship & then do a 4 year DDS in US ? I mean whether they accept such an international student who has done a 4 year BDS instead of 3-4 year liberal arts college after 12th ?

Why would you wanna do that, if with the same qualifications you can get into 3rd year of dental school ???!!!

Because I heard that getting into an advanced standing programme is very tough , getting into a regular dental school for DDS is not that tough, and also the career path after a regular DDS will be a smooth one.. that is my impression.. please correct me if I am wrong..

& Mask 80,thanks for the reply.. at least someone has responded on this forum.

Because I heard that getting into an advanced standing programme is very tough , getting into a regular dental school for DDS is not that tough, and also the career path after a regular DDS will be a smooth one.. that is my impression.. please correct me if I am wrong..

It's not very tough. If you do advanced standing you will get a DDS and unless ur applying for specific specialties, there is little if any difference between advanced standing DDS and 4 year DDS. Actually usually the advanced standing ones have more experience

I just wanted to know whether it is common to sit & study for 1-2 years to get admitted into advanced standing programme DDS ? whether it is possible to walk into an advanced standing DDS immediately after finishing your internship in India ?

I just wanted to know whether it is common to sit & study for 1-2 years to get admitted into advanced standing programme DDS ? whether it is possible to walk into an advanced standing DDS immediately after finishing your internship in India ?

It is possible to get into one pretty fast. You can study during your internship, take part I, apply and interview, and then depending on your internship length, you can get in as soon as possible. 1-2 years of dedicated studying is way too long. Of course everything depends on how good you are. I would say most ppl need a lot less than that to get decent scores.

well, like others said, if u wanna practice in US, then stay in US. Besides, if u plan to apply to 4 year DDS programs in the US (after BDS from India), then u should think about other application factors as well (such as Extra-curricullar activities, research experience, volunteer work experience, paid work experience, etc..). so if ur eventual goal is to apply to a 4 year DDS program in the US, then u should go to a college or univeristy in US. You can achieve good grades (with hard work, of course), get good references from profs or research supervisors or employers, participate in various actvities that will make u a well-rounded individual. because, your grades and DAT scores alone will not get you into a 4 year DDS program. besides, you should consider the grading scheme in India as well and how your grades will be converted when u apply. because, i am pretty sure, if u study harrd, you can easily achieve a 3.7 grade point average at a US university, while participating in other activities. This may not be the case in India. You may have to work even harder there.

and don't worry too much about the money issue, once u become a dentist in 11 or 12 years, u'll realize that all the hard work and monetary investment was totally worth it.

good luck.

Thank you Mask for answering our questions. :)

I'min SRMC for their Dental Program...after I finish my 4 years of the Course Period and Start on my Internship there, what should I do? I'm a bit confused abt the process..

Study for the NBDE Part 1 and 2, Pass It with Decent if not Good Marks. U had said that people usually study for their Part 1 when they are on their Internship. Can I get the Studying Material in India for the NBDE Part 1?

And Do u get into and Advanced Standing Program based on the Scores you get on the NBDE Parts? What is they Criteria they look for when u apply for the Advanced Standing Prog? Ur Dental School Grades, or the NBDE marks? How many States here actually allow us to do that? Can we apply for the Advanced Standing Program from India or should we come here?

So basically, we just study for the NDBE part 1 during our Internship Period in India, and then come here, write part one, and study for part 2 and finish that (How long might that take? Finishing Part 1 and Part 2) then apply for and Advanced Standing Program, hopefully get in. (When we get in, we get into the 3rd year DDS Course?) And after 2 years in that, (3rd and 4th) we can start Practicing right?

Which States are we as FDG allowed to Practice in?

I know it's a lotta questions, but it'd be GREAT if u could answer them. I'm Scared **** abt what I'm gonna do after I graduate from SRMC. Ur answers would really help me out a great deal! :hardy: Thank you very much! :)

I am lost, i am thinking of going to meenaksahi ammal dental college in madras. Can I get back into us?

hi Sk2005-06,
Admission to dental school in the US depends a lot on your part 1,2 scores, your GPA (grade point average) which is an assessment of your grades in your dental school in India and on your hand skills(didactic tests) required for some schools. In schools that require didactic tests, the tests carry a lot of weightage. Having said that, you can start preparing for NBDE exams during your internship and take up the exams. As far as I understand you can get material for preparing through Kaplan centers in India. As for dental decks, you can order them through their website or buy used ones from someone on SDN (there are quite a few ppl willing to sell material).
Passing part 2 is not a mandated requirement for admission to all schools though you're options are increased if you take both part 1 & 2. (I know some schools absolutely need part 2 scores to apply). Provided you have very good scores in part 1 you can apply for admission to schools. Once you graduate as an advanced standing student you are at liberty to practice in the state of your choice after you pass the necessary licensure exams and law and ethics exams pertaining to that state.Hope that helps.
Concentrate on good grades even in your dental school...and....Good luck with everything!!!:thumbup:

I am lost, i am thinking of going to meenaksahi ammal dental college in madras. Can I get back into us?

But why? You can... just amantain a high score in India. Make sure you do a lot of things/ extracurriculars, paper presentations at conferences, gold medals, volunteer work there. Start studying for your part 1 and make sure you get a high score. You may have to come back to the US and spend a year or two working as an assistant while trying to get into the advance standing here. I would say do your Bachelor's here and continue with the 4 yr DDS program. This is coming from a student who is going through the advanced standing program.

But why? You can... just amantain a high score in India. Make sure you do a lot of things/ extracurriculars, paper presentations at conferences, gold medals, volunteer work there. Start studying for your part 1 and make sure you get a high score. You may have to come back to the US and spend a year or two working as an assistant while trying to get into the advance standing here. I would say do your Bachelor's here and continue with the 4 yr DDS program. This is coming from a student who is going through the advanced standing program.

why 4 years?:oops:. Surely sitting part 1 and doing 2 more years is better right. Also why dont people go for uk, there seems to be more emphasis on US.

Hai Mass,
I graduated from Meenakshi Ammal too . I think the school is very good in terms of organisation and the patient flow. we had the best profs in the state( as they paid them well... I guess) I am into NYU. I think it should not be a problem for you guys once you start preparing for the boards from school. It took a while for us to take the boards as we had to understand the exams and took a while to decide. but give it a year to get into a school once you graduate from India and come here. It should be fine.

Hai Mass,
I graduated from Meenakshi Ammal too . I think the school is very good in terms of organisation and the patient flow. we had the best profs in the state( as they paid them well... I guess) I am into NYU. I think it should not be a problem for you guys once you start preparing for the boards from school. It took a while for us to take the boards as we had to understand the exams and took a while to decide. but give it a year to get into a school once you graduate from India and come here. It should be fine.

hi dental maniac , thats great to here some confidence compared to others in this thread who are totally agaisnt the idea. Do you have email so I can ask you more questions by any chance please.

why 4 years?:oops:. Surely sitting part 1 and doing 2 more years is better right. Also why dont people go for uk, there seems to be more emphasis on US.

5 years in school, 1-2 years of wait and 2- 3 years of advanced standing.... that is close to 8 - 10 years in school versus 8 years in the US. Also it is by chance you get accepted to the school of your choice here if you want to get in the advanced standing program. It is not easy. You have a higher chance of getting accepted to the school of your choice if you do your undergrad in the US and conitinue dental school here.
To answer your second question: most of the students here are people already in the US and that is why you see the emphasis on US dental schools. The population currently in UK or home country is lesser on SDN International dental forum.

5 years in school, 1-2 years of wait and 2- 3 years of advanced standing.... that is close to 8 - 10 years in school versus 8 years in the US. Also it is by chance you get accepted to the school of your choice here if you want to get in the advanced standing program. It is not easy. You have a higher chance of getting accepted to the school of your choice if you do your undergrad in the US and conitinue dental school here.
To answer your second question: most of the students here are people already in the US and that is why you see the emphasis on US dental schools. The population currently in UK or home country is lesser on SDN International dental forum.

the thing is I have done schooling in UK and failed to get into a dentla school here, so there is no possibility of me getting into US whereas I can get into UK. And why would it take 10 years?!. BDS is 5 years and then 2 years in american school right?

Last edited:

Last edited:
the thing is I have done schooling in UK and failed to get into a dentla school here, so there is no possibility of me getting into US whereas I can get into UK. And why would it take 10 years?!. BDS is 5 years and then 2 years in american school right?

Because there are a lot of factors that affect your admission into a 2 year program. There is no guarantee that you will get into a two year program. People have gone through rejections and that is why I said anywhere between 8 to 10 years; I didn't say 10. If you do get into a 2 year program on your first try - then, school would be 5 years BDS, 1 yr wait (application year - remember you cannot take your part 1 unless you have your ECE and you cannot get your ECE unless you get your degree, and you dont get your degree unless you finish your 5th year), 2 year program (assuming you score high on your part 1, your CV looks great, you apply and you got lucky to get accepted into a 2 year vs three year) then it is 8 years - that is the minimum. But things could go wrong, you can apply 2 years in a row (because you didn't get accepted during your first application cycle) and get accepted into a 3 year program (instead of 2 yr) then it is 10 years. That is why I said 8 to 10 years. Maybe your case is different. This explanation is more for those debating to go to their home country to do a BDS and Advanced standing in the US vs doing both a bachelors and a DDS in the US. Again it all boils down to personal preferences. But as far as risk factors go it is harder to do the former. Good Luck...