Best Interview Lunch Food?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best Interview Lunch Food?

• USC

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • UCLA

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • UCI

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Einstein

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Cornell

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Columbia

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • SUNY Downstate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MSSM

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters

BaseballFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who had the best food for interviews?

I think USC wins this competition hands down.

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

i would say yale, pitt, or dartmouth had the best interview food. baylor was the worst, with uf and usf running second.

usf?! you've gotta be kidding... finger sandwiches?! also, to anyone who interviewed at usf after september, did the sandwiches have mayo and mustard on them, or did the condiments come on the side? there's a story behind that, if you're curious, PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok ok, lunch was OK, but the spread for breakfast, bottled waters when you came back from interviews, cookies and milk in the afternoon, and cant look passed an embossed USF office of admissions chocolate bar to send you on your way.

Originally posted by mlw03
i would say yale, pitt, or dartmouth had the best interview food. baylor was the worst, with uf and usf running second.

usf?! you've gotta be kidding... finger sandwiches?! also, to anyone who interviewed at usf after september, did the sandwiches have mayo and mustard on them, or did the condiments come on the side? there's a story behind that, if you're curious, PM me.

I agree that Yale was pretty good - great selection and they give you plenty of money to cover it all. But I think that Baylor was pretty good, too. They had lots of healthy choices, unlike UT Houston, where everything was fried or dripping in butter.

MSSM had great quality food and if memory serves me correctly, you could get whatever you wanted. You weren't limited to a certain voucher amount. Pretty good I'd say.

Originally posted by ms. a
I agree that Yale was pretty good - great selection and they give you plenty of money to cover it all. But I think that Baylor was pretty good, too. They had lots of healthy choices, unlike UT Houston, where everything was fried or dripping in butter.

yale had the best food. you could get anything you wanted at marigolds, which has great food. ewww...talk about dripping in butter...did you hear about deep fried twinkies and oreos? btw, i wish they didnt tell us the presentation at baylor was going to be funny. i usually laugh at anything but only if it's unexpected.

Loma Linda, baby!

Steamed vegetables sprinkled with pine nuts, Lasagna, salad with your choice of raspberry vinegar, or ranch dressing, drinks, water bottles, cookies, and a personal lunch with the Dean. What more could you ask for?!?

USC had the best lunch for sure. Someone talked about it in the USC thread.

You can't make a poll with so few schools on it. If you wanted to make a more accurate poll, there should have been 126 choices. :thumbup:

I voted for the only one I actually had. Gotta love that kosher cuisine. :D

usc had a GREAT lunch....so tasty.....the pasta was the best pasta i've ever had, and i'm a pasta expert....the first time i interviewed i had the chinese chicken salad, which was pretty darn good....but the second time i opted for the chicken pasta thing, and seriously, i still think about it.....who would've expected that from a med school interview lunch?

Miami served Lasagna, caesar salad, alfredo.... YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG why is UCI's food so not good. It screams cafeteria food.

wash u hands down...tower restaurant...order whatever you want

Originally posted by mlw03
iusf?! you've gotta be kidding... finger sandwiches?! also, to anyone who interviewed at usf after september, did the sandwiches have mayo and mustard on them, or did the condiments come on the side? there's a story behind that, if you're curious, PM me.
I'm curious, as others likely are - why not share the story here?!?

Originally posted by somekevinguy
wash u hands down...tower restaurant...order whatever you want

i agree with wash u hands down, the view was spectacular, it was at the very top of the tower, you actually had nice silverware and plates! and they had a nice layout of delicious warm food, no boring sandwiches!

Well, the only schools of those on the list that I interviewed at are Einstein and Cornell... I thought Cornell had an ok lunch (nice sandwiches and soda), but I really disliked Einstein's - I honestly thought it was the worst lunch, by far, of all the ones i've been privy to. But food doesn't make a school, right? Right? ;)

Wash U. was the best I had and UVa was second. Your poll doesn't include enough schools.

I nominate wake forest. You get a freeforall at the hospital cafeteria/dining hall. Good stuff.

Miami's lunch was yummy!!!

it's not the world's greatest story, but since ya asked...

the lunch at usf was finger sandwiches, with some chips, cookies, and drinks. nothing special, but not bad either. only problem was that the sandwiches came with mayo and mustard on them. well, i like my sandwiches like i like my women - naked. so i had a hearty lunch of chips and cookies. (if you go to the interview feedback and look at usf around mid-sept 2003 you'll see my comments there too).

after the interview i emailed mr. larkin (usf's interview coordinator) and politely (seriously, i was polite, not smart#ssy) suggested they put the condiments on the side in the future, so as to prevent future interviewees of my problem. well, it looks like they did it, so i'm happy to hear my suggestion was implemented.

that's all.

Originally posted by SailCrazy
I'm curious, as others likely are - why not share the story here?!?

Drew/UCLA had a full on grease bucket morning buffet with sausage, egg, fried potatoes, bacon, and 50 kinds of juice. There were a lot of interviewees there, maybe forty, but there was enough food to feed an entire platoon. Anyway. Not exactly what you'd want to eat before an interview, but on any other day it wouldve been great.

The grilled chicken sandwich at MSU was really damn good. The dean even noted that they had it catered so we wouldnt have to eat "ordinary interview food" (i.e. sandwiches in plastic boxes).

Oh yeah, the MSSM eat whatever you want in the cafeteria was cool.

the only one i applied to was columbia and though i loved the school it was by far the worst lunch of the 6 i had.
YUCK

i am glad to see that it didn't get top billing here, because if that's the best you got i'm really sorry!

NU or NYU

NYU because we could stack up on 15 bucks worth of grease and NU because it was like eating in a five star hotel (northwestern memorial hospital).

USC was good.... but you had to suffer through that darn video...And I do mean suffer! I think it was like those time-share free vacations... They give you an awesome vacation so that the presentation won't be so hideous!!! USC bribes you with great food/atmosphere in ..the what was it... presidents dining room or something(LL was in a school conference room... ok food, lousy atmosphere)... lock you into a side room, and put the tape in the vcr. :scared:

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
USC was good.... but you had to suffer through that darn video...And I do mean suffer! I think it was like those time-share free vacations... They give you an awesome vacation so that the presentation won't be so hideous!!! USC bribes you with great food/atmosphere in ..the what was it... presidents dining room or something(LL was in a school conference room... ok food, lousy atmosphere)... lock you into a side room, and put the tape in the vcr. :scared:

what video? was i passed out for that>?

Who voted for UCI? You know, I interviewed there twice and I don't remember the food at all! .... Oh... now I remember... subs, cookies, and fruit outside of the class rooms.... How could I have forgotten that?

Originally posted by Eraserhead
what video? was i passed out for that>?
What do you mean "what video?"? I had to watch it twice!!! That home made, student produced (like watching your family photos on a projecter in the hall growing up), mono sounding "welcome to usc" thing that is now like 5 or 6 years old! ... hmm maybe this year was lucky. I had to sit through it 2 & 4 years ago... to think... I could be in residency right now.

I didn't see a video. Are you sure you weren't at the University of Southern Caribbean? USC wins my vote. Awesome lunch.

Originally posted by patzan
Are you sure you weren't at the University of Southern Caribbean?
:laugh: Touch?! (yes, it was trojan land)

I bet Jalby remembers having to sit through it!
Hey Camstah! Did they show it last year?
Ohhh.... you guys are soooooooo lucky!

I didn't see a video at USC, either...Mr Reddly, are you talking about the University of South Carolina instead of the University of Southern California?

Originally posted by yayme
just out of curiousity, what was the most cheap/expensive lunch voucher limit that everyone got at interviews? everywhere i went was $5 except ucsf where it was $6.

NYU = $15 lunch

i deleted my post because i thought it was kinda dumb but thanks for the reply. wow $15?

Originally posted by noami
the only one i applied to was columbia and though i loved the school it was by far the worst lunch of the 6 i had.
YUCK

i am glad to see that it didn't get top billing here, because if that's the best you got i'm really sorry!

no kidding - absolutely disgusting lunch at columbia. my friend who interviewed for their dental school got to eat at the fancy faculty restaurant. no freakin fair! :smuggrin:

Originally posted by exmike
I nominate wake forest. You get a freeforall at the hospital cafeteria/dining hall. Good stuff.

I agree - they had London Broil the day I was there!

:laugh: Touch?! (yes, it was trojan land)

I bet Jalby remembers having to sit through it!
Hey Camstah! Did they show it last year?
Ohhh.... you guys are soooooooo lucky!

nope, no video...last year or this year!! but from the way it sounds, i'm glad there wasn't one!!!!!

cleveland clinic emailed us menus b4 the interview -- that just tops them all i think. we ate in this fancy faculty cafetaria though they have a pretty impressive selection inside the med center between their cafetaria, the starbucks, mcdonalds, and au bon pain. everything there just screams money.

I seriously took the lunch into consideration when I decided not to go to SLU. Cold, hard, tasteless sandwich wrapped in plastic. I think they threw it at me, too.

Columbia is one of the options? Seriously? Lunch was sewage. God, I forgot the name of the closet they served us in, but there was room for about three of the thirteen people we had crammed in there. The tourguides brought their own stuff in take-out containers to avoid eating the crap they were serving. It was simply unidentifiable and repulsive by my standards of what food should look and taste like. In fact, the food was so horrible, that the focus of our conversation shifted entirely from how great Columbia was to... hey, what the hell is that crap on my plate supposed to be? It looks like some kind of insect with bits of cheese and gravy on it. Think we can eat it? (I can't find an emoticon that looks like it's gonna barf, but you get the picture)... ;)

Has anybody else mentioned Yale? They served lots of good food in the Harkness cafeteria. Shrimp and vegie ravioli with five options for desert. Of the remaining options though, I'd have to go with NYU and their $15 limit. I piled so much food onto that tray that they started giving me dirty looks. I mean, fifteen bucks is a lot of money. That's like two complete meals (of if you're me, ONE complete meal) and then some desert. I was gonna ask if I could take some home with me, but I thought that might be a little tacky.

MSSM had good lunches, but we weren't allowed to sit in the cafeteria, and I remember having to kneel while I ate. UMass deserves credit for serving crabmeat, although I suspect it may have been imitation crabmeat. And Dartmouth had those cookies that keep coming up on interview feedback. Me and another SDNer split one.. MMnn MMmnnn! :thumbup:

Originally posted by Super Rob
Think we can eat it? (I can't find an emoticon that looks like it's gonna barf, but you get the picture)... ;)
throwup.gif

You're welcome. :p

Attachments

• uci and ucd accepts thus far off of SDN.zip
    53 KB · Views: 114
Originally posted by BigRedPingpong
NYU = $15 lunch

MSSM = unlimited. Not that anyone I was with took them up on it...

Dartmouth's food was pretty darn good. I think I ate a couple burgers when I was there, but I think that the best interview food was at WashU. They served all the interviewees a big gourmet lunch--it was awesome. So my vote goes to WashU.

What do you mean "what video?"? I had to watch it twice!!! That home made, student produced (like watching your family photos on a projecter in the hall growing up), mono sounding "welcome to usc" thing that is now like 5 or 6 years old! ... hmm maybe this year was lucky. I had to sit through it 2 & 4 years ago... to think... I could be in residency right now.

I've heard about that video. I thought they had gotten rid of it. It's like 10 years old or something.

Jimmy Johns...
Served at both Michigan and Ohio State.

Originally posted by facted
MSSM = unlimited. Not that anyone I was with took them up on it...

Uhh.. Sorry to call you on the BS, but when I interviewed at MS, there were 8 of us who split $70. It was clearly written on the lunch slip the secretary gave to our tour guide.

Edit: in fact, we had so little to spend, our tour guide had to give up his food so that we could have what we wanted. By the by, I interviewed last week. Although, they may have become even more bankrupt between the time that you and i interviewed so this may explain the limit imposed now.

you want unlimited?

UVM baby....i took enough food for lunch, dinner that night and another meal to take on the plane the next morning.

man i love that place.

now MSU didnt really have a selection, but what they did have was a damn good chicken sandwich they served us. i can still taste it. but then again im really hungry right now.

UCLA would have been good if they didnt limit the dollar amount of the lunch card. It was close to impossible to get a meal without having to put in at least a dollar.

Davis was decent as well.

Originally posted by Jalby
I've heard about that video. I thought they had gotten rid of it. It's like 10 years old or something.
Ha! For a moment there, I thought I was smokin somethin! Looks like they have gotten rid of it!
:clap: hurray!