Is it unwise to volunteer giving out free food with a radical leftist group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sky1.3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been volunteering cooking and giving out free food with the local chapter of Food Not Bombs. My good friends already work with them and I am a dirty hippie at heart so it's nice to get a break from my clinic job. The stated mission of food not bombs is that money should be redirected from the military to the people. Due to its affiliation to 20th century radical leftist groups, in the 1980's it was mislabeled a terrorist organization by the FBI despite being explicitly nonviolent literally in its name.

My question is, does the leftist side of this kind of volunteer work make it a bad thing to include on my application? I have so little time between working full time and taking classes, so I just want my volunteer work to be something which brings me joy and social fulfillment, which this does. Frankly it does reflect my authentic politics and even if it's not a good idea to mention this I think I'll keep volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you kind of fudge the details/avoid mentioning the name of the larger organization on your app if you're worried about it? e.g. just give the name of the specific program you work with under the umbrella of Food Not Bombs, and describe it as "doing XYZ with a local nonprofit organization" in the description?

ETA: Also, having never hard of that organization, the first thing I would (and did) do is look up the Wikipedia page if I wanted to know more (which I usually don't when I'm reading applications unless something really piques my interest). The wiki page actually doesn't even mention the mistakenly being classified as a terrorist organization thing lol, and I don't see anything about it on the first page or two of my google results either. The Wikipedia page description definitely might rustle the jimmies of someone who is like aggressively conservative but I think "food insecurity and war are bad" is a fairly reasonable position overall. So unless someone would happen to know that this not well-known organization was classified as a terrorist organization at some point, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a good volunteer opportunity to me, and the fact that you are patient about it could make for a good Most Meaningful.

Reactions: 1 users
I put Food Not Bombs on my application and got in. No one asked about it in my interview. Getting food to people who need food is fairly uncontroversial, I think.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users