Best iPad apps for anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtbski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this has already been posted, but I'm starting med school in a couple of weeks and just got an iPad. Does anyone have suggestions on the best apps for anatomy? Or any other apps that were useful your first year year for taking notes, etc? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Netter's iPad app instead of the book and really liked it. I think some of my classmates used Visible Body.

I used Essential Anatomy and Human Anatomy. Both were $30ish, but very useful for learning where structures are in relation to other structures.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to get the iPad Netter's atlas, but all of the recent reviews are about crashes/bugs/etc. Makes me nervous...

Visible body is good, but it doesn't have nearly enough detail. I don't really see how an extremely accurate interactive atlas for ipad hasn't been made yet.

This isnt an anatomy app but this app is awesome - Canopy. On my clinical rotations and whenever I had to shadow or whatever during my first and second year and came across non-English speaking patients, I wished I had something like this to help me do an H&P quickly or to ask the follow-up questions when my resident said, "did you ask them if they have sick contacts?" and I though, "shoot, no, do I really have to call the interpreter again??" The app had basic H&P for a couple of big rotations and instructions for procedures and they keep adding stuff every couple of weeks. They just sent an email saying they are adding peds, anaesthesia and a ton of other OBGYN topics. Check it out. You can see a video about how it works here. And the great thing is that it's free.
Use this access code 4777to unlock the app after downloading.
Stop selling your app on SDN.

To follow up on this thread, I tried visible body and really didn't like it. I found it very difficult to use and learn from. Also missing many structures. I'm using essential anatomy now which I like much more. Highly recommend

Essential Anatomy is great, but it's best used as a visual aid, as many of the details about various muscles and nerves might disagree with your school's anatomy text.