Best Looking Job for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJBiochem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a sophomore undergrad pursuing a biochemistry major with a minor in biology.
I have had a job at a restaurant in a resort in PA that is 4 Diamond and (currently being rated) presumably Forbes 5-Star for about a year and a half now. I saw an opening for a job at a hospital near me as a "Radiology Services Represenative"-- I'm (hoping) to go into radiology. So I was wondering if it really matters where I work and if it does would the job at the hospital look better than my current job?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So one job has nothing to do with what you want to do in the future. The other involves a field you are interested in, may get you patient contact, may allow you to make connections for shadowing, and may give you a chance to further explore your intended career......sounds like an obvious choice.

Who cares which med schools prefer, which one will be the best for your development and which one would you rather do?

A service rep may not be especially patient contacty so schools might not give you many points for it, but the job could definitely help you in terms of connections and exploration

Reactions: 2 users
The best job is the one you will be able to talk about with enthusiasm and which will teach you useful skills.

Find out more about the Service Rep job before jumping ship because hospitality jobs offer a lot of 'deal with the [sick] public' opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Patient representative, patient sitter, social work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Like was mentioned before, a job that you have enthusiasm for. If being a waiter is a good gig and you enjoy the work, keep that and it'll build your interpersonal skills. That will pay off when you seek out lab opportunities and interviews, there isn't a class that will teach you how to be a good conversationalist.

it's fine for your high school job to just be your high school job

it's good to have a few different types of jobs on your resume