Best Materials for Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can people post what materials they used for step 3, how long they studied for, and what their actual/practice Step 3 score was?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For step 3: for those who are fresh out, I think UW Q-bank is plenty, and should be enough to pass the exam. This is the assumption that you had avg or above avg scores on steps 1 and 2:
For non traditional examinees, med students, residents, MD-PhD's, and others who may have had less than steller scores on steps 1 and 2 I would rfecommned the following: FYI my recs are based on anecdotal evidence and not a gaurantee that you'd pass but certainly should increase your odds of doing well (passing) the step 3 exam:
IF you are the above non traditional or less than avg brd score candidate:
You need to create at least a 6wk study plan
You need to utilize brd review resources, course and books. If you're already a resident, books along with a Q-bank should suffice.
Books to use IMO are the MTB and any later version of its authors or Publishers. Theres evidence on this network that this boom has yielded good results and the plurality of exam takers use it, so dont be behind the curve. Passing this exam is based on a curve
Now IMO if you do use MTB it will only make sense to use Q-bank resources that actually supplement and test what you've read. That way the materiel is more reinforced. So I'd say use Kaplan Q-bank along side this book (strong recommendation).
This is particularly important because it will test your level of understanding from what you've "read" assuming it all went in and if it didn't go in, it will reveal that to you and show your weaknesses or that you don't have a good grasp of what you thought you just read.
I think I would be remiss if I didn't mention UW because majority of NBME takers use this resource, so you DO want to be exposed to this material and get the high yield questions/topics that everyone else would probably get right- so you need to do some of this, at least 50% of it if not the whole thing.
Planning: Create a weekly schedule that would allow you review your brd review book, twice if possible. Assuming you decide to use MTB, break things down by chapters, 5 days a week for reading for the first 2-3wks, and then the last 3wks leading to exam should be 4-5days of week of rigorous Q-bank use and 1 day of intense review.
This is merely a summary of what I did and it worked for me. There are many roads to success but here's mine, and I was very pleased with my score.

If you are fresh, from step 2 or recent grad, like within the last 3-4 months, 4wks of UW qbanks and CCS is enough to pass this exam.
If you are the other: i.e. non traditional- took yrs off between school, MDPhD, too personal leave of absence, FMG coming to the states, or don't have a track record of doing well on these exams, take this exam very seriously and apply the above strategies and it should increase your odds of doing very well and passing the exam.