Best MD specialty for bilingual speakers...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zanarkandx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to SDN, so forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

Background information: Hispanic female living in NC, fluent in both Spanish and English. Majoring in Microbiology and currently have a 4.0 GPA.

My dream was to become a Pathologist and after searching threads, researching and looking for current vacant jobs in NC, I realized that the job market is absolutely terrible. I wouldn't mind relocating, but I'd rather not as my parents are immigrants and moving to another state is easier said than done. Yes, my parents would have to relocate with me, it's a long story as to why that is so but it involves immigration, citizenship, economic issues and a family of 6.

Perhaps the job market will become better in the following years, but if it does not I would like to have more options to consider. Are there particular MD paths where being bilingual would be a great asset to have? I could be trilingual as well if I study more French since I am not fully fluent yet. Currently learning a bit of Japanese and Korean, but it would take more than a couple of years to be fluent as well.

The salary isn't a huge factor, but I would prefer that the residency isn't extremely long such as a surgeon's would be. I am very open to most areas of medicine as well. Well, maybe not Emergency Medicine since it's a bit too risky for me.

I know that this is a very vague question and that I have many options, but I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me. I will be continuing to research as I have in the past weeks and I hope to find a good fit for me.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking multiple languages would be beneficial practicing anywhere in the US.

Also, if you're still in college there isn't much benefit in trying to predict how the job market for Pathologists will be ~10 years from now. Likewise, you don't need to be worrying about your "fit" in different specialties right now, just your fit with a career in medicine. No matter how much "research" you do on specialties, you probably won't know which is right for you until you have spent a day holding the scalpel, so to speak. That comes during rotations in medical school.

For now, just focus on getting into medical school. Everything else will fall into place as it is supposed to.

Members don't see this ad :)
The three Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders is a consideration.
Spanish is the most important second language in the US.
Speaking it is a plus everywhere.
Unfortunately studying out of the country isn't an option for me. But it does sound like a good choice. Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately studying out of the country isn't an option for me. But it does sound like a good choice. Thanks for the advice!
Puerto Rican schools are LCME accredited just as all other US MD schools.
They are not "out of country,"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
OP, after re-reading your post I'm a bit confused. What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if there are any medical specialties which are suited to people who speak multiple languages?

Speaking multiple languages would be beneficial practicing anywhere in the US.

Also, if you're still in college there isn't much benefit in trying to predict how the job market for Pathologists will be ~10 years from now. Likewise, you don't need to be worrying about your "fit" in different specialties right now, just your fit with a career in medicine. No matter how much "research" you do on specialties, you probably won't know which is right for you until you have spent a day holding the scalpel, so to speak. That comes during rotations in medical school.

For now, just focus on getting into medical school. Everything else will fall into place as it is supposed to.
True, my counselor told me the same thing. I am just the kind of person who prefers to have a certain goal. I guess I worry too much. I'll just focus on doing the best in my courses and the MCAT. Perhaps I should have stuck with my original question of PA vs MD as I initially was going to. Went with this one because I do not know where I would have posted it. Anyways, thank you very much for responding. I think I should just slow down and worry about the present and not the future.

OP, after re-reading your post I'm a bit confused. What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if there are any medical specialties which are suited to people who speak multiple languages?
Yes that is exactly what I am asking. I think I worded it wrong since I am on my phone.

Puerto Rican schools are LCME accredited just as all other US MD schools.
If I was puerto rican and had puerto rican relatives it would definitely be an option. Moving out of the country as well as paying the costs of doing so would not work in my favor. I am able to pay for my undergrad tuition because I receive grants since my father makes less than $45k a year. Medical school would be far more expensive :(

Yes that is exactly what I am asking. I think I worded it wrong since I am on my phone.

True, my counselor told me the same thing. I am just the kind of person who prefers to have a certain goal. I guess I worry too much. I'll just focus on doing the best in my courses and the MCAT. Perhaps I should have stuck with my original question of PA vs MD as I initially was going to. Went with this one because I do not know where I would have posted it. Anyways, thank you very much for responding. I think I should just slow down and worry about the present and not the future.

Ah I see. The title said MD program which typically refers to medical school degree programs, which is probably why gyngyn mentioned the Puerto Rican schools.

I would argue that speaking multiple languages would be beneficial in any medical specialty, particularly those which involve lots of patient contact. Pathology might be one of the few where it isn't as directly helpful.

That said, it's wonderful to have goals to work toward, but your concentration and effort is much better spent actually working towards them in some form, rather than trying to guess which goal you'll want to work towards in 10 years. I agree with your assessment and advisor. There will be plenty of time for you to explore specialties and make your decision, but they are far down the road for you.

Also, with regard to your MD vs PA question, you should use the search function. It's a pretty frequently posted topic, and you should be able to find plenty of discussion.

If I was puerto rican and had puerto rican relatives it would definitely be an option. Moving out of the country as well as paying the costs of doing so would not work in my favor. I am able to pay for my undergrad tuition because I receive grants since my father makes less than $45k a year. Medical school would be far more expensive :(
Puerto Rico is part of the US!
Loans are the coin of the realm at all US medical schools (even for the poor).
Your state schools are likely to be the cheapest (bilingual or not).

Reactions: 1 users
Ah I see. The title said MD program which typically refers to medical school degree programs, which is probably why gyngyn mentioned the Puerto Rican schools.

I would argue that speaking multiple languages would be beneficial in any medical specialty, particularly those which involve lots of patient contact. Pathology might be one of the few where it isn't as directly helpful.

That said, it's wonderful to have goals to work toward, but your concentration and effort is much better spent actually working towards them in some form, rather than trying to guess which goal you'll want to work towards in 10 years. I agree with your assessment and advisor. There will be plenty of time for you to explore specialties and make your decision, but they are far down the road for you.

Also, with regard to your MD vs PA question, you should use the search function. It's a pretty frequently posted topic, and you should be able to find plenty of discussion.

I see, sorry about the confusion. I am still fairly new to the medical world and SDN, and since no one in my immediate or extended family has considered medical school, I have to learn about the difference between a residency, fellowship, and everything in between, including the lingo. It's really hard as a first gen college student, even first high school graduate in my family, to know everything. Hence why I research so much, I have to learn everything on my own. Just as I did learning English. It's tough.

For someone who is looking to try and save finances and who does not want to leave theeir state you are one lucky person to have Brody right in your backyard. UNC is also another potentially excellent option.

Puerto Rico is part of the US!
Loans are the coin of the realm at all US medical schools (even for the poor).
Your state schools are likely to be the cheapest (bilingual or not).

Yes, I know Puerto Rico is a part of the U.S, as any American should know, I hope so. When I was saying it was "out of the country", I was speaking in terms of location, with regards to the continental U.S, as opposed to whether or not it is a territory of the U.S.

You are correct that state schools are the cheapest, which is why I stated in my question that I prefer not to relocate. I may have wrote my question wrong, so that is why you are confused. My apologies.

For someone who is looking to try and save finances and who does not want to leave theeir state you are one lucky person to have Brody right in your backyard. UNC is also another potentially excellent option.
es,

Yes. UNC is one of my top choices. I haven't looked at other schools besides it and Duke, but I know that there is Wake Forest and ECU. I'll check Brody out too, thanks!