Best Medical School Cities...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Pdizzle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we've bad mouthed the bad ones, in your opinions, which medical schools are in the best locations (can mean a variety of things: safety, scenary, location, access, facilities, etc.)?? Thoughts?

I haven't seen many, but I like UMich a lot in Ann Arbor, especially compared to WSU's and MSU's medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

should have made a poll, still can if you make a new thread..
anyways, i choose ucsf, ucsd, ucla, stanford.

jtank said:
should have made a poll, still can if you make a new thread..
anyways, i choose ucsf, ucsd, ucla, stanford.

I would have but I really didn't want to limit people's choices to my selection, let alone I really don't know the best areas of med. schools outside of the midwest.

Fyi peeps, not just the "best" schools l0gistically, but in terms of all the other stuff aside from just academics. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is the "my city is better than your city" thread. Oh the humanity!! :sleep:

All the ones in Manhattan probably. As well as the ones in Chicago. As someone said, UCSF, UCLA. I'd take issue with Stanford though. Palo Alto is a boring, snobbish suburb, just far enough from San Francisco to minimize that as a redeeming factor.

FutureOrthoDoc said:
So this is the "my city is better than your city" thread. Oh the humanity!! :sleep:

it can be if you want it to be :laugh: actually, I was just hoping it'd be the hey this school has a really nice location and this one has really great night life etc. Ya know, things that newsweek won't tell you that are important when choosing a medical school--like schools that are by a lot of cool bars :laugh:

And yea, I've heard Stanford is kind of dullsville :thumbdown: Is Northwestern in downtown Chi-town? That'd be nice

I really liked Ann Arbor and Columbus. La Jolla is also very nice. San Francisco is a great city, but I didn't get to see too much of it while at UCSF.

Hi there,
By far, the best medical school city (town) is Charlottesville, Va. The mountains are beautiful and the location is exceptional. The campus is just beautiful and the weather is great.
njbmd :D

getunconcsious said:
I'd take issue with Stanford though. Palo Alto is a boring, snobbish suburb, just far enough from San Francisco to minimize that as a redeeming factor.

Ouch! :laugh:

getunconcsious said:
As someone said, UCSF, UCLA.
Agreed. Both are really great locations.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Seattle yet. I've been to a lotta big cities, and Seattle owns them all. You've gotta visit this place--it's got it all. Rainy, but still crazy cool. I'm sure the UW students can echo what I'm sayin'.

getunconcsious said:
All the ones in Manhattan probably. As well as the ones in Chicago. As someone said, UCSF, UCLA. I'd take issue with Stanford though. Palo Alto is a boring, snobbish suburb, just far enough from San Francisco to minimize that as a redeeming factor.

East Palo Alto has one of the worst crime rates in the nation.
It neighbors the part of palo alto where Stanford is located

All the cities you guys mention are very urban and have a high cost of living. What are your selection factors in deciding that they are the best?

madbay said:
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Seattle yet. I've been to a lotta big cities, and Seattle owns them all. You've gotta visit this place--it's got it all. Rainy, but still crazy cool. I'm sure the UW students can echo what I'm sayin'.

I gotta agree with this. I go to med school in New Orleans, and let me tell you, New Orleans is a great place to go to med school--if you're still in that college-age, partying state of mind. It's a little harder to feel at home in this city as an older med student, even though the med school is very non-trad friendly. Not impossible, but it doesn't just happen naturally.

However, Seattle has something for almost everyone. I lived there for a year before med school, and absolutely loved it. Even the cold, rainy weather didn't matter, and I really don't like being cold. I probably won't be able to go back for residency, but I'd really love to if I could.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
By far, the best medical school city (town) is Charlottesville, Va. The mountains are beautiful and the location is exceptional. The campus is just beautiful and the weather is great.
njbmd :D

Well I'm glad you like it since you have to live there. I used to live there and absolutely hated it. It's boring, snobbish, and the whole town has such a hard-on for Thomas Jefferson and history in general...very annoying. It's also very isolated. The closest decent metro area is Washington and that's hours north on the deathtrap known as 29.

But hey, if you like it, good for you! :thumbup:

BrettBatchelor said:
All the cities you guys mention are very urban and have a high cost of living. What are your selection factors in deciding that they are the best?

The factors could be anything (scenary, weather, crime, hot chicks, town life, hot chicks, etc.) :laugh: -- provided that you give some sort of explaination as to why the med school(s) you chose are in great locations.

And yea, I have a very midwest bias, since I have never been outwest and only to the east coast a few times. So, I am def. interested in other people's take on med. schools around the country (ie: seattle/out west). Isn't Seattle where Grey's Anatomy "takes place" ?

NYC is fun and all, but I wouldn't say its the best place to go to school. Livinig in the city can be a pain in the ass, I'm not sure about the other big cities but I assume its a similar situation. I actually like the location of UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson. Its in a suburb, but there is still Rutgers next door if you want the college bar scene, or you can head over to nyc or philly which aren't too far either.

Oh, I forgot to mention Portland. :)

I know we don't get much air time here on SDN, but I'm surprised noone's mentioned JABSOM (Hawaii). Brand new medical campus, right on the beach, between downtown and Waikiki. You can't go wrong.

Edit: except for the price of housing in the area. Ouch!

BrettBatchelor said:

Nightlife..? Things to do other than study and be peaceful?

Best city is without a doubt Seattle.

Pros:
1. Mountains.
2. Ocean.
3. Summer are sunny and 80.
4. Great food.
5. Night-life.
6. Canada eh.

Cons:
1. Canada eh.
2. Chicks dont shave.
3. Rain.