Best medical student loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mediocriskid

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a lender that offered the best benefits for a stafford and grad plus loan. Obviously I'm going for the lowest interest possible and no origination fee. I was looking at the AMA chase sponsored loan but I was told by my financial aid adviser at school that this was discontinued. Does anyone know if this is true? I've read about people recommending wells fargo b/c they have no origination fee but they don't have an interest reduction when you begin repayment. Any advice is appreciated. I have to pick a loan by monday.

Scott
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't put much stock in promises of interest rate reductions in repayment. Lots of students chose THE because they offered a generous repayment bonus (I think it was a rate reduction of 1.3%), but it was recently discontinued. As in, the bonus no longer applies to loans you took out when THE was still offering the bonus. I had no idea they could change the terms retroactively like that, but apparently, they can. So if I were you, I'd look for low/no upfront fees and place more importance on that.
 
As of July almost loans have a 1% orig fee and 1% default fee. all reductions are subject to change (if you read the small print). Fed Stafford loans are 6.8% and Grad Plus are from 7.9%(if you can find one) to 8.50%. with a 3 % orig fee. I found Discover has no fees. and 8.25% grad plus ( has 3% orig fee) with a .25% reduction for auto payment. Wells Fargo has fees. this is the only one I can find. If someone else has another one please let me know. Discover has only been in the student loans business for 1 1/2 years. they are adding 1500 schools this year so you will have to check with your school.