Best month for vacations?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfonzomd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Ill be a new Inter nexo month ;@, and wanted to ask you, your experiences about which month is the best month to take as vacation month. Either to fully rest or to take Step 3. December and June are not an option. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

January, especially if you will be in a cold climate. That's when everyone tends to feel burnt out.

January, especially if you will be in a cold climate. That's when everyone tends to feel burnt out.

It's best to split it up if you can, but if you have to take an entire month all at once, Jan or Feb are the best options IMHO. Take some time and go somewhere sunnier and warmer than where you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since theres a thread on this:

I'll be in the New England area

We are allowed 4 1wk vacay blocks.

Is it best to split them up every 3-4 months?

Me-thinks Oct, Jan, April, June would be good?

I am a resident from Puerto Rico, so it will be sunny and warm all year ;). But i Aldo thought about jan/feb/march as the months where I will be mostly burned out. Thanks for your replies!

Totally depends on your schedule. If you are scheduled for 3 or 4 intense months in a row, then you want vacation after those. No point in taking vacation after 2 light months.

Now if you're on surgery, they're all heavy months and any time at all would do. I'm more a fan of splitting it up and having smaller more frequent vacations. Only one vacation a year would suck, IMHO.

Double check on the step 3 thing because some problems give you separate educational leave for step 3. I know we do here, so you'd be wasting your vacation if you spent some of it taking that test.

As for best months, I'm also a fan of spreading it out and trying to match up vacation with when you're most likely to be burnt out. Other than that, there's no perfect month.

Since theres a thread on this:

I'll be in the New England area

We are allowed 4 1wk vacay blocks.

Is it best to split them up every 3-4 months?

Me-thinks Oct, Jan, April, June would be good?

Sounds like a good plan to me. In October, you could do some local vacation and appreciate NE fall. Then in January, go somewhere warm and sunny. April, maybe more warm and sunny because it'll still be cold where you are. June, local again. That leaves you with 2 more expensive and 2 cheaper vacations.

Sounds like a good plan to me. In October, you could do some local vacation and appreciate NE fall. Then in January, go somewhere warm and sunny. April, maybe more warm and sunny because it'll still be cold where you are. June, local again. That leaves you with 2 more expensive and 2 cheaper vacations.

I was hoping to do that. Until I saw my intern schedule yesterday for the first time.

Looks like the only time I could even take a week off is October, when I have Acute Pain Service. I wasn't so sure I wanted to take off at that time. The next time I could even take off is March 2012. :smuggrin:

I was hoping to do that. Until I saw my intern schedule yesterday for the first time.

Looks like the only time I could even take a week off is October, when I have Acute Pain Service. I wasn't so sure I wanted to take off at that time. The next time I could even take off is March 2012. :smuggrin:

Hmm, now I'm wondering how that's going to work. If you're given 4 weeks, they have to give you the opportunity to take those 4 weeks off. Do they let you take 2 weeks off at time?

I should clarify that I can take the latter rotations in 2012 off (i.e. starting from March on except May), but I won't be able to space it out like I hoped.

I will have to suck it up the first semester, and put in requests for weeks off towards the end of my transitional year, making it a more chill latter half of the year :thumbup: