Best neuro texts for residency/4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fantasy Sports

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, my notes with a ton of neural pathways/cross sectional anatomy are not to be found. Ill keep looking, but Id rather buy a textbook that contains all this material. Anyone have a recommendation for a book that not only will serve me in reviewing for my upcoming neurology electives, but will be useful to me in residency as well?

Thanks.

Also, if you would like to make this into a "best/underrated neurology texts" kind of thread, Im perfectly fine with that too.

Members don't see this ad.

For fourth year, I'd really recommend two books by Stephen Goldberg, Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, and the Five Minute Neurological Exam. These books are NOT intended for neuro resident but are great STARTERS!! They really help set forth the foundations for more advanced text.

Basic Clinical Neuroanatomy by Young & Young is a complete text that is good to read to lay a solid foundation as well.

Now, for the more advanced stuff, Principles of Neurology by Adams and Victor

In terms of an exam book, I think that "Neurological Examination Made Easy" by Fuller is amazing. It gives the full exam, tells you what each part is looking for, and explains how to use the results. I'd recommend this to any medical student for their clerkship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fantasy Sports said:
Long story short, my notes with a ton of neural pathways/cross sectional anatomy are not to be found. Ill keep looking, but Id rather buy a textbook that contains all this material. Anyone have a recommendation for a book that not only will serve me in reviewing for my upcoming neurology electives, but will be useful to me in residency as well?

Thanks.

Also, if you would like to make this into a "best/underrated neurology texts" kind of thread, Im perfectly fine with that too.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=173362
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=86302

other neuro books i've found extremely useful are listed below...

1) Localization in Clinical Neurology - its a bit wordy at times, but ends up giving you a great localization skill....

2) Neurological Differential Diagnosis (by Patten) - i think this book is a must have for neurology residents... the pictures and imagres are great, the text is well integrated w/ cases which makes it a lot more readable...

Simalarly related, I personally find the musculoskeletal exam & peripheral nerve exam hard and difficult to remember; the following books are great for those:

1) Musculoskeletal Examination by Gross, Fetto, & Rosen
2) Aids to the Examination of the Peripheral Nervous System... very small and easy to read and reference :)

hope this helps...