Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best neurology programs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Crazy Carl, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Pretty straightforward question...US News aside, what schools do you think have the best neurology programs?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gatormed

gatormed Member

I think the US News ranking is thrown off by the fact that they consider neurosurgery and neurology as one field. For example, the UF neurology dept has been struggling recently but they have an incredible neurosurgery dept. The result is a very respectable rating in US News.
    From talking to some of the younger faculty the schools I have been told to look into are UVA, Rush, Henry Ford, Iowa, Mayo, Mt. Sinai, Michigan, UCSF... I'm sure I'm leaving some out but that's a start.

4. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by gatormed:
    <strong>I think the US News ranking is thrown off by the fact that they consider neurosurgery and neurology as one field. For example, the UF neurology dept has been struggling recently but they have an incredible neurosurgery dept. The result is a very respectable rating in US News.
    From talking to some of the younger faculty the schools I have been told to look into are UVA, Rush, Henry Ford, Iowa, Mayo, Mt. Sinai, Michigan, UCSF... I'm sure I'm leaving some out but that's a start.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yea, the lumping together of neurosurgery and neurology is part of why I asked (the other part is me not wanting to take US News at face value). Even so, I'm surprised that none of the big-time ivy league schools are on your list...

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Moving to Rotations and Residencies...(maybe Neurogirl will see it and respond)