MD Advice on Best Neurology California Away Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makemake

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to match into neurology ideally somewhere in SoCal from a midwest state MD school. I went to college in Los Angeles and spent my gap year there so I do have a connection to the area. Wondering about the competitiveness of matching there as well as what the best away programs would be for me to apply to!

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking very generally, the SoCal neurology programs are less competitive than the NorCal programs, and fall into three tiers of competitiveness:

1) UCLA - need to be a strong applicant, this is a top-20 program in neurology
2) UCSD, USC, Cedars - a decent applicant with regional ties should expect an interview at at least one of these, all solid programs
3) Everything else

In terms of aways, I'd try to do an away at your top choice, assuming you are prepared to make a good impression.

Neurology as a whole is not very competitive, but the top programs are, and tiers 1+2 above only have a combines 25 spots/year.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Speaking very generally, the SoCal neurology programs are less competitive than the NorCal programs, and fall into three tiers of competitiveness:

1) UCLA - need to be a strong applicant, this is a top-20 program in neurology
2) UCSD, USC, Cedars - a decent applicant with regional ties should expect an interview at at least one of these, all solid programs
3) Everything else

In terms of aways, I'd try to do an away at your top choice, assuming you are prepared to make a good impression.

Neurology as a whole is not very competitive, but the top programs are, and tiers 1+2 above only have a combines 25 spots/year.
Thank you so much for your insight! That information is super helpful!