Best notebook computer for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lalamoo said:
So, to continue the notebook computer discussion...

I've decided to go for a 12" or 14.1" screen so that it will be low weight (less than 7 lbs) and not too big to see over in class, yet big enough that I can comfortably email, write papers, compose presentations, and work on data crunching for research when available.
Since I can't persuade you to get a Mac, I will say that the number one most important feature of a laptop is...

...the keyboard.

Please do yourself a favor and try out the laptop before you get it. You do not want to hunched over the keyboard, trying to squeeze your fingers around miniature keys.

Members don't see this ad.

lalamoo said:
So, to continue the notebook computer discussion...

I've decided to go for a 12" or 14.1" screen so that it will be low weight (less than 7 lbs) and not too big to see over in class, yet big enough that I can comfortably email, write papers, compose presentations, and work on data crunching for research when available.

I have nothing against Macs - its just just that I prefer pc's. I ignored Toshiba for the most part because I find their website unhelpful (they use one-word descriptors like "distinctive" and "uncompromising" that are supposed to help you decide between models) and I don't like that they won't let you customize. Also, other major brands Gateway and Sony didn't seem to stack up in the ratings in lighter weight categories. So after checking PC Magazine, PC World, CNET, and notebookreview.com, I've narrowed my choices down to these:

compaq presario v2000
ibm thinkpad t42
dell inspiron 700m

Compaq PROs: great ratings, great speakers, wide-screen, 3 USB ports (others have only 2), firewire, 6-in-1 memory card slot, good price (~$1400 with specs I want), 3hr battery life
Compaq CONs: fastest hd available is the 80 BG 5400 RMPs (the other sizes are the 4200 RPM), max warranty is 3 years (as opposed to 4 from IBM and Dell), bad reliability and tech support (according to Consumer Reports buying guide 2005)

T42 PROs: great ratings, great reliability and tech support (Consumer Reports buying guide 2005), 60 GB 7200 RMP HD available, 4hr battery life
T42 CONs: high cost (~$2100 with specs I want), no firewire, no media card slot, lame-o speakers (or so the reviews say), company just sold their laptop division to a Chinese company called "Lenovo" (ie where will the brand go??)

Inspiron 700M PROs: good ratings, lightest weight, flash card slot, firewire, 60 GB 7200 RMP HD available, good price (~$1400 with specs I want)
Inspiron 700M CONs: smaller screen (12"), have to get 2x256 DDR SDRAM because 1x512 is not available, small keyboard, tendency to get hot?, 2hr battery life

I'm leaning towards the Compaq, but a summer sale could definitely sway me another way (ahem, Dell? Lenovo?). Thoughts?

Well I bought a 700m a few weeks ago and love it. It gets warm, but not hot (at least compared to my friends 2 yr old compaq). It is dead quiet and only gets warm if you are watching DVDs, playing games, etc. 1x512 was available when I bought mine... I upgraded to the 8cell battery and it gets about 5.5 hrs battery life if just surfing the net and word processing- slightly less if watching DVDs, playing games, etc. You should really check the keyboard out if u have a dell store near you... i have huge hands, but i actually love the keyboard.

by the way, with the 8cell battery it is only about 5lbs.

fun8stuff said:
Well I bought a 700m a few weeks ago and love it. It gets warm, but not hot (at least compared to my friends 2 yr old compaq). It is dead quiet and only gets warm if you are watching DVDs, playing games, etc. 1x512 was available when I bought mine... I upgraded to the 8cell battery and it gets about 5.5 hrs battery life if just surfing the net and word processing- slightly less if watching DVDs, playing games, etc. You should really check the keyboard out if u have a dell store near you... i have huge hands, but i actually love the keyboard.

by the way, with the 8cell battery it is only about 5lbs.

Have you found any problems with the keyboard, I know that the . and ? are smaller than normal. Has this been an issue. Also, how is the screen size: do you find yourself straining to read the text.

Members don't see this ad :)
zion said:
what dell model was this?

it was an Inspiron 7500. i bought it in 2000 before i started undergrad, so its about 5 years old now (ancient i know :eek: ). the hinges started breaking within about a year and a half of having it and after that broke about every 6-9 months or so.

when i look at that old thing now it looks like a big black box next to the beauties coming out now!

gaikokujin said:
it was an Inspiron 7500. i bought it in 2000 before i started undergrad, so its about 5 years old now (ancient i know :eek: ). the hinges started breaking within about a year and a half of having it and after that broke about every 6-9 months or so.

when i look at that old thing now it looks like a big black box next to the beauties coming out now!

that sux :thumbdown: Perhaps you got stuck with a lemon?

i recently bought a HP dv1250; it has a 14'' widscreen Hi-Def LCD screen. The size is perfect if you want a mobile comp; the 14'' widescreen parades around as if it is a 12''. All the specs are amazing (harmon/kardon speakers, remote control for video, hp quickplay, all ports on side not back, 5.4 lbs, 60gig, 1.7 ghz, intel centrino mobile pentium) except the graphics card (so not the best for gamers). Id read up on this at cnet or something if you can. I got it from Costco which has something like a 6 month waranty; total cost was only 1200 or so which is excellent compared to dell (i felt dell isnt the most reliable after speaking with others). Overall it's a beautiful computer that will turn heads and give you want you need.

I have heard that if you bought an Apple laptop recently you got a free iPod. Is this promotion still going on or can anyone give me any additional info? Thanks.

gaikokujin said:
are the 15" powerbooks actually a bigger computer than the 12" or is the screen just bigger?

It is actually a bigger computer. All Apples basically have the maximum allowable screen size for how large the computer itself is.

I have had a 12 inch powerbook for about a year and a half, and have taken it to and from school in my backpack, not in a laptop case, for the same amount of time. I have had no problems with it, the case is hard to scratch and I would definitely recommend getting the Apple Care plan. It lasts for three years, and covers anything that could possibly happen.

If you are very rough on your computer, I would probably get an iBook instead, because their cases are thicker and would provide more protection than a PowerBook case.

But yeah, check out the keyboards at an Apple Store. The 12 inch laptops have keyboards that run to the edge of the case, while the 14 inch ones have keyboards that have room around the outside, and bigger places to rest your wrists while typing. I haven't tried a 17 inch one, but the PowerBooks have nice speakers beside the keyboard.

And Apple's customer service is great. They are very helpful, and are available 24 hours a day. It's also an 800 number, so it's free.

I had a Dell Inspiron 8100 for 3 years. Generally worked well. Hated all the Windows crap and the need to constantly keep virus protection updated. Hated the fact that things that were standard on Macs were special features at extra $ on Windows. Hated that software would take over the computer and reset preferences without me knowing it. Had a problem with formatting CDs and spent 2 hours on the phone to customer service in India, without them ever figuring out what the problem was.

Bought a 15" Mac powerbook for med school. So happy to be back on a Mac system, and the whole thing runs so much better. Also, I got a free iPod and a near-free printer with it, and I use the iPod way more than I ever dreamed (especially for listening to lecture recordings).

What can I say, I tried to enter the 21st century by going Windows, and it was miserable. I still use the Dell occasionally for things that will not run properly on the Mac (a few websites, etc.).

9 times out of 10, your website problems will go away by using Firefox or Camino instead of Safari. Not to get off topic, but just FYI.

zion said:
Have you found any problems with the keyboard, I know that the . and ? are smaller than normal. Has this been an issue. Also, how is the screen size: do you find yourself straining to read the text.

i actually really like the keyboard, which is weird because i have not met many people with bigger hands than myself. Of course, this may just something weird with me... the keyboard is like 92% the normal size. I would suggest going to a store (dell preferably) and trying it out for yourself. Actually sit it on your lap and see how u like it. i was literally use to the keyboard in less than a hour. i tend to type with only 6 fingers (3 on each hand), so maybe this is why... the only thing that bothers me is that sometimes i will accidently hit the touchpad when i am typing with my rest, which can mess things up. however it is not that big of a deal and it is easy to disable when i am using my mouse.

i dont have any problems with the screen size (although i have 20/20 vision). i do not find myself straining, but my gf who wears glasses thinks it is a tad small. there is an option to make the text on the screen larger. the screen is probably one of the nicest things about the laptop- it is really clear and bright . the screen looks nicer than most laptops i have seen, and gives it an overall nice look. maybe the screen would be an issue if you wanted it for a desktop replacement, but i actually i have not used my desktop (other than to transfer files) since i got it. I think a lot of this just depends on what you value.

i have dealt with dell over the last 5-6 yrs, and have never had problem- although i have heard from friends who had friends that have had problems. I wrecked my computer - long story, that ended up ruining the motherboard. they practically sent me a new computer (in parts) and came and fixed it for me (and i called a couple days after the warranty was up- i had to argue to get them to do this- pm me if interested in what i said).

in the 3 weeks that i have had the computer, i have had no issues and absolutely love it. any other questions, just PM me.
good luck

MeowMix said:
I had a Dell Inspiron 8100 for 3 years. Generally worked well. Hated all the Windows crap and the need to constantly keep virus protection updated. Hated the fact that things that were standard on Macs were special features at extra $ on Windows. Hated that software would take over the computer and reset preferences without me knowing it. Had a problem with formatting CDs and spent 2 hours on the phone to customer service in India, without them ever figuring out what the problem was.

Bought a 15" Mac powerbook for med school. So happy to be back on a Mac system, and the whole thing runs so much better. Also, I got a free iPod and a near-free printer with it, and I use the iPod way more than I ever dreamed (especially for listening to lecture recordings).

What can I say, I tried to enter the 21st century by going Windows, and it was miserable. I still use the Dell occasionally for things that will not run properly on the Mac (a few websites, etc.).

How'd you get a free ipod with your purchase? That's a great deal. Are there any deals out there now for people buying a powerbook (free printer included/free ipod...)?

Iamajew said:
How'd you get a free ipod with your purchase? That's a great deal. Are there any deals out there now for people buying a powerbook (free printer included/free ipod...)?

it was the back-to-school deal last summer. Be sure to find the section of their site that's for higher ed students buying computers - that's where the deals show up.