1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Best option to pay for interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jhanago, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jhanago

2+ Year Member

so im flat broke and need to pay for plane tickets and hotel etc. Any ideas? Financial aid said no so im considering private loans... any recommendations? :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. One way to reduce costs - drive to interviews. It may take longer, but depending on where your interviews are and how theyare soaced out you can save a heck of a lot of money - even with the gas prices as they are. Obviously, if the are on the other side of the US, that woudn't be an option, but if they are only a state or two away, just drive. In 1995 (I know- gas prices were much different), In a two week period I traveled form Idaho to my interviews in this order: Oklahoma City, Iowa, San Antonio, Creighton, Loma Linda and lastly OHSU in Portland. Back then, there wouldn't have been any way I could have afforded to flown to each of those schools in that order over a two week period.

I don't usually recommend paying for things with a credit card if you don't already have the money, but in this instance you might want to get a credit card to pay for the costs and then shred the card once you have been accepted in to d-school. You still have to pay the credit card off, but you won't be adding to it anymore.

4. seattlesun

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ask the school if there are any dental student hosts where you can stay for a night or two (not sure where I heard about this hosting arrangement if on the dental or the medical forum, so do a little search around SDN pages). It doesn't hurt to ask them.

5. jhanago

2+ Year Member

I go to SPU! But.. the hotel is chump costs compared to flights thats what im worried about:(

6. OCDFlosser

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would take out a low-interest private loan to pay for the expenses, and would be extremely FRUGAL when choosing how to travel.
    I.e: Stay in hostels, or cheap hotels even if they rate a 1 star. Research flight dates ahead of time so you can quickly determine what days/time of year is cheapest and schedule interviews around this time. Also, if you applied to a lot of schools and have good chances at them, feel free to turn down an interview if it'll cost you too much $$...ONLY IF you know you have other options of course (risky).

This is what I'm doing. Except, I saved up quite a bit of money so I could afford it...

7. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    -Ask a family member for money
    -Open a credit card
    -Find a friend who likes to travel and would split expenses

8. Blue87Fiero

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Go to the bank and get loan and pay it of over the course of year (sooner if you can). I think it was just a personal loan or something. I needed my mom to cosign because I didn't have any credit. Don't put it on a credit card if it can be avoided.

Edit: It has been like 3 years since I did that but I think the interest was kind of high but it was well under 10% I want to say 7.9 % but I honestly can't remember.

9. jtblnb

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    priceline has cheap deals for rooms