Best option to pay for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhanago

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so im flat broke and need to pay for plane tickets and hotel etc. Any ideas? Financial aid said no so im considering private loans... any recommendations? :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

so im flat broke and need to pay for plane tickets and hotel etc. Any ideas? Financial aid said no so im considering private loans... any recommendations? :thumbup:

One way to reduce costs - drive to interviews. It may take longer, but depending on where your interviews are and how theyare soaced out you can save a heck of a lot of money - even with the gas prices as they are. Obviously, if the are on the other side of the US, that woudn't be an option, but if they are only a state or two away, just drive. In 1995 (I know- gas prices were much different), In a two week period I traveled form Idaho to my interviews in this order: Oklahoma City, Iowa, San Antonio, Creighton, Loma Linda and lastly OHSU in Portland. Back then, there wouldn't have been any way I could have afforded to flown to each of those schools in that order over a two week period.

I don't usually recommend paying for things with a credit card if you don't already have the money, but in this instance you might want to get a credit card to pay for the costs and then shred the card once you have been accepted in to d-school. You still have to pay the credit card off, but you won't be adding to it anymore.

Ask the school if there are any dental student hosts where you can stay for a night or two (not sure where I heard about this hosting arrangement if on the dental or the medical forum, so do a little search around SDN pages). It doesn't hurt to ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the school if there are any dental student hosts where you can stay for a night or two (not sure where I heard about this hosting arrangement if on the dental or the medical forum, so do a little search around SDN pages). It doesn't hurt to ask them.

I go to SPU! But.. the hotel is chump costs compared to flights thats what im worried about:(

I would take out a low-interest private loan to pay for the expenses, and would be extremely FRUGAL when choosing how to travel.
I.e: Stay in hostels, or cheap hotels even if they rate a 1 star. Research flight dates ahead of time so you can quickly determine what days/time of year is cheapest and schedule interviews around this time. Also, if you applied to a lot of schools and have good chances at them, feel free to turn down an interview if it'll cost you too much $$...ONLY IF you know you have other options of course (risky).

This is what I'm doing. Except, I saved up quite a bit of money so I could afford it...

-Ask a family member for money
-Open a credit card
-Find a friend who likes to travel and would split expenses

Go to the bank and get loan and pay it of over the course of year (sooner if you can). I think it was just a personal loan or something. I needed my mom to cosign because I didn't have any credit. Don't put it on a credit card if it can be avoided.

Edit: It has been like 3 years since I did that but I think the interest was kind of high but it was well under 10% I want to say 7.9 % but I honestly can't remember.

priceline has cheap deals for rooms