Best Optometry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiseki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to say "hi", but I also had a question (which is probably really disputable), but what are the rankings for optometry schools? I know public vs. private, location etc. are also very important, but I'm hoping to apply next year and I'd just like a heads up. I live in CA so I'm applying to SCCO and Berk for sure, and am thinking about SUNY as well. I'd really appreciate input about any other schools. :) Also, does anyone know which schools don't accept CA applicants? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a really subjective topic, so I guess I will give you my opinion.

Well first, about CA resident thing. I know ICO accepts them, we have a lot of CA people.

I actually talked to one of our professors about this right before the quarter started. He said he believes Pacific is the best because they are really in touch with the students and have a great program. He said ICO was second because of the clinical experience and the over all program. I think it says a lot that he put another school of ours because usually if you ask a professor they always say, "This school is the best!"

I think every school is good, so go to the one that is the cheapest for you. If you can get in-state tuition, that is the best school.

Good luck

kiseki said:
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to say "hi", but I also had a question (which is probably really disputable), but what are the rankings for optometry schools? I know public vs. private, location etc. are also very important, but I'm hoping to apply next year and I'd just like a heads up. I live in CA so I'm applying to SCCO and Berk for sure, and am thinking about SUNY as well. I'd really appreciate input about any other schools. :) Also, does anyone know which schools don't accept CA applicants? Thanks!

I'll have to agree with rpames,
it depends who you ask what the 'best' optometry school is, b/c different ppl. will giveyou different responses...

I goto NEWENCO ( now, its NECO ) and its my first week here, I love it!! absolutelly !!
the students the faculty the city !! ahh..
Im glad I chose to come here, its a small school and the curriculum is very intense but very 'doable' ...i think......(but then again, its my first week here)
. will keep you posted on that one. :laugh:

best optometry school?

no such thing. Its very subjective and it depends who you ask, im sure once you'll be accepted to a program, you'll think that THAT PROGRAM is the best....

there is no RANKINGS FOR OPT. SCHOOLS....

choose a school you think you'll excel in and you wont have a problem,
hope that helped,
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
kiseki said:
Also, does anyone know which schools don't accept CA applicants?

Hello:

NSUCO limits admission to residents of nine states: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Texas.

The UAB School of Optometry gives preference to applicants who are residents of the State of Alabama and reserve approximately 20-40 seats for residents (according to their website).

You must be a Canadian resident to attend either the University of Montreal or the University of Waterloo in Ontario.

If you would like to attend the Inter-American University if Puerto Rico, they ask you to be fluent in both Spanish and English.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

I go to PCO. It's my first year and I am having a blast! I just finished my 3rd week and have already had two rotations in the clinic. We've already learned how to take a patient history. We also start our externships a half year earlier than the other O.D. schools. I applied to and got accepted to Nova and ICO. I am happy I chose PCO, and I have nothing against the other optometry schools. I think it's mainly what you put into it that makes the difference. That and the fact that I was told I will see over 3,000 patients by the time I graduate makes me feel like I picked the best optometry school for me. Hope this helps.

just because i go to scco, i'm gonna say it's the best school out there :D

in all honesty, i would decide on the resources that each school can offer you. of course all the schools have an awesome clinical program that will make you a competant optometrists. but you also should think about what options you want to have after OD school. and think about which school will best prepare you for it. check out alumni offices (are the alumni involved with the school after grad? are they satisified? did they feel their school prepare them well for what they are doing currently?) also, check out the curriculum to see what classes they offer. they will all offer your basic optometry courses. but do they offer other classes that relate to your future goals such as a private practice? i know it's still too early to know what you want to do with your OD degree. but it's not a bad idea to think about it.

ok good luck on your application/interview stuff. if you have questiosn about scco, let me know! so far, i like it.