• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

best osteopathic school?

Kevbot

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2004
236
0
38
NJ
    AwaPremed said:
    what schools are the top osteopathic schools?

    Technically, there are no "top" med schools because they aren't ranked. However some med schools are better in certain areas than others. For example: UMDNJSOM is very good in the area of research, WVSOM has a very good program if you are interested in rural medicine, and I believe PCOM is known for thier OMM. You should do a little bit more research on the subject and decide what is most important for you.
     
    About the Ads

    jawicobike

    Family Physician
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    2+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jun 19, 2004
    189
    12
    Utah
    1. Attending Physician
      I keep hearing that PCSOM rotations are great for learning about black lung and various genetic diseases resulting from inbreeding. Technically I'm not supposed to say that because I'm a transplant and not a local, but anything announced by visiting clinicians is fair game I say.

      Seriously though, when asking about the best schools you have to qualify the statement with what you want out of medical school. It's the same stuff we all heard from our undergraduate advisors, you've got to find the right program for your particular personality and interests (ie. size, cost, strong (insert subject here) program, location, etc.)... or just get accepted somewhere and grind out 4 years.

      I have found that the most reliable sources of information on individual schools comes from those students attending said school, but lacking a self-righteous attitude toward their school or profession.
       

      Hernandez

      Paranoid and Crotchety...
      15+ Year Member
      May 14, 2004
      21,244
      9,246
      knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
      1. Attending Physician
        you need to qualify your statements as to "best", I of course think OSU-COM is, but I'm biased. PCOM/ and the Com in Chicago have good OMM departments, I hadn't heard anything about WVCOM's rural medicine, other than their campus was rural, OSU-COM is ranked in the published rankings as 13th out of all the med schools for rural medicine, and last years OSU-COM MSII's (class of '06) had a 100% pass rate on boards and the highest overall average on Comlex, but I've not seen the actual numbers on how much higher the average was.

        for a better answer your question, tell us what you're looking for and we can give you our perspective of our schools.
         

        robo77

        Senior Member
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jul 7, 2004
        100
        0
          I thought that DMU has the best OMM department in the country, that is what they said during the interview day, but of course since nobody ranks departments per se...who knows

          Hernandez said:
          you need to qualify your statements as to "best", I of course think OSU-COM is, but I'm biased. PCOM/ and the Com in Chicago have good OMM departments, I hadn't heard anything about WVCOM's rural medicine, other than their campus was rural, OSU-COM is ranked in the published rankings as 13th out of all the med schools for rural medicine, and last years OSU-COM MSII's (class of '06) had a 100% pass rate on boards and the highest overall average on Comlex, but I've not seen the actual numbers on how much higher the average was.

          for a better answer your question, tell us what you're looking for and we can give you our perspective of our schools.
           

          Nate

          Missing
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Nov 27, 2003
          1,619
          6
          NJ > Ohio
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            You need to find "that guy" who attended all 21 Osteopathic Medical Schools and ask him which in his experience he felt was the best. Other than that of course it is UMDNJ.
             

            EMTLizzy

            Full Member
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Aug 1, 2004
            247
            0
            40
            Manasquan, NJ
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              Hernandez said:
              you need to qualify your statements as to "best", .

              Yup! All the schools are good. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say that if you go to any school in the US (allo or osteo) then you're going to a great school. But you need to narrow down what is important to you. Is it cost? Location? Research opportunities? Proximity to a Dunkin Donuts?

              Anyone who is happy at their school may say theirs is the best. I think that's a great attitude to have since it shows you enjoy it there.

              Look at the school web sites, evaluate what is important, and ask students who go there about the school. Also, think about how much it will matter in the grand sceme of things and what you want to do with your life (ie do you want to do research, or do you want to be a FP in the state you grew up in, or do you really want to move to the big city)

              From what I see, all the osteo schools are very good. They all have their problems, but like may have said "you'll get out of it what you put into it". :thumbup:
               

              cooldreams

              American Mensa Member :)
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Dec 11, 2003
              2,063
              4
              43
                i think kcumb is the best all around. like number 2 or 3 highest pass rate on boards and when compared to the other highest passing schools this school has by far the largest class size, just completed a huge research center and as such is only one of a few osteopathic schools with one, very flexible 3rd and 4th years, awesome 1st and 2nd year program, the architecture is old and modern at the same time, one of the older 2nd generation osteopathic schools (kcom being the only first generation), losts of scholarship money, the school is ever growing, in a few more years there will be an awesome auditorium and new library system. the staff is amazingly nice and great to work with them - every time ive needed help, just call or email or walk on in and they always help. this is a school you want to be a part of.

                but that is just my 2 cents :D
                 
                About the Ads

                tkim

                10 cc's cordrazine
                15+ Year Member
                Aug 2, 2002
                7,628
                380
                New England
                1. Attending Physician
                  lemurlover said:
                  i would bet someone five bucks (that's a lot right now) that TUCOM CA has the best smelling anatomy lab in the country. smells better than my dern office at work, especially when the fridge gets narsty.

                  So exactly *how* many times does the air in the anatomy lab get exchanged per hour? I forget. ;)
                   

                  Hernandez

                  Paranoid and Crotchety...
                  15+ Year Member
                  May 14, 2004
                  21,244
                  9,246
                  knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
                  1. Attending Physician
                    robo77 said:
                    I thought that DMU has the best OMM department in the country, that is what they said during the interview day, but of course since nobody ranks departments per se...who knows

                    that was merely my own opinion from observations of other students and a few of the lectures that teach during last years UAAO conference,
                     

                    futuredo32

                    Senior Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Apr 8, 2003
                    1,811
                    338
                    Michigan
                    1. Attending Physician
                      US News and World reports does rank schools according to various specialties, but it's not specificially limited to osteopathic schools.
                      Each school has it's own positive and negative attributes. At MSUCOM for example, there are many opportunities to practice OMM, but you have to take the initiative on your own as classes are only once weekly as opposed to twice a week as they are at many schools. The anatomy lab at MSU is horrible and the bodies are prosected, not dissected, there is a good and bad side to that, depending on how you look at it. Some of the instructors here are great and their lectures are really interesting and they go out of their way for students, some just read word for word from the course pack and are really boring, and some are just awful(cardio, the instructors are horrible and one of them is truly aggessive and rude toward the students and just goes out of her way to be cruel to medical students). If you are looking for the "best" school because you are deciding where to go, my best advice to you would be that if you are accepted to a few and really can't decide between them, go back on a non-interview day and tell random students in the hallways that you are considering attending, ask them to be candid and offer their opinion about the most positive and negative aspects of the school. That way, you are likely to get a broader perspective than you would get from the students who may be hand-picked to meet with prospective students. It really doesn't matter how a school is ranked, if they don't meet your personal needs and criteria, it won't be the best school for you.
                       

                      HoodyHoo

                      Full Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Dec 29, 2003
                      472
                      3
                      Chitown
                      1. Fellow [Any Field]
                        AwaPremed said:
                        what schools are the top osteopathic schools?
                        NSUCOM, OUCOM, DMUCOM, TUCOM, PCOM, PCCOM, DCOM, LCOM, LERCOM, BUTTCOM, FACECOM, DICCOM, JACKCOM, DOCOM, and probably A$$COM.

                        everyone will always say this and that......"oh our anatomy department is better, our OMM is better, we have the best rotations, blah blah blah."

                        The bottom line is nobody has a clue, especially me, what the F they are talking about, so just go on your own instinct and research.
                         

                        docbill

                        Full Member
                        10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        Aug 20, 2004
                        2,418
                        1
                        1. Medical Student
                          hoody hooo.. I agree with you about the schools. Everyone school is better than the other's (don't agree much about your quote "Done in Iraq, on to Iran... ) but anyway... back to the subject at hand.

                          In my opinion:
                          MSU is the best school. BECAUSE... it has managed to provide both medical degrees... and lead to acceptance of DOs in the state of michigan. The same goes for NJ. 2 schools of medicine. Also, they are state school and tuition is cheaper.

                          But since I am going to UNECOM... I will admitt UNECOM is the BEST, also best Natural/Peaceful surrounding.
                           

                          MountaineerDoc

                          Member
                          10+ Year Member
                          7+ Year Member
                          Aug 16, 2004
                          49
                          0
                          WV
                          1. Medical Student
                            Hernandez said:
                            ..., I hadn't heard anything about WVCOM's rural medicine, other than their campus was rural, ...

                            http://www.wvsom.edu/Welcome/WhatsNew/WorldRank0105.html

                            WVSOM has just been recognized as the top medical school in the world according to the percentage of its graduates practicing medicine in rural areas. A study from the University of Nebraska shows that 42% of all WVSOM graduates practice medicine in rural areas. The data was collected from all domestic and foreign medical schools, including allopathic (M.D.) and osteopathic (D.O.) programs, for the period 1987-2000.

                            “I am elated and exceedingly proud of our graduates for doing what they do—choosing to practice in rural, mostly underserved areas of our country,” says WVSOM President Olen E. Jones, Jr. Ph.D. “This report fully validates our mission and justifies the support we have received from the legislature and our Congressional delegation over the years. It also allows us to dream of what great things we will be able to accomplish as we expand and enhance our program.”

                            WVSOM ranks #1 in the study because a very high percentage of its graduates—nearly half of them—practice in rural areas. The gap between the #1 ranked school (WVSOM) and the #2 ranked school (The University of South Dakota) is a full ten percentage point spread (42.1% vs. 32.2%), Dr. Jones notes. “During the period analyzed and even since our inception, we have consistently focused on our mission—educating primary care physicians for practice in rural areas. The study shows that we have done this much better than any other medical school, and that is extremely gratifying,” says Jones, who has been WVSOM’s President during the entire 1987-2000 period covered in the study.

                            “We are proud to do our part in preparing our students to provide needed medical care in rural, underserved parts of our state and the nation. We are also proud that our program is again recognized for its exceptional achievements,” says Jones. “And it seems entirely appropriate that the medical school based in one the most rural areas of the United States should be recognized as the worldwide leader in preparing its graduates for practice in rural areas,” he adds.

                            “When you visit the most rural communities in this state and across this nation, you will likely find WVSOM graduates there doing what they do best: offering medical services to the people who need doctors the most,” says Jones. The complete rankings can be accessed on-line at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

                            http://www.wvsom.edu/USNewsCurrent.htm

                            This year’s U.S. News & World Report magazine’s graduate school rankings are out and the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) finds itself in a familiar position – ranked among the nation’s elite for the sixth straight year.

                            The Lewisburg institution is ranked 8th in Rural Medicine within the medical school section of this year’s rankings. WVSOM was ranked tenth in this category last year. The magazine looks at both M.D. (allopathic) and D.O. (osteopathic) schools in compiling its rankings. This year’s eighth-place finish in Rural Medicine is WVSOM’s highest to date and reaffirms the college’s reputation as a school on the move, according to WVSOM President Olen E. Jones, Jr., Ph.D.

                            “It’s quite a feat to have our college ranked among the top medical schools in the country for six consecutive years,” exclaims Dr. Jones. “My hat is off to everyone at WVSOM for their role in assisting us. With our track record, we continue to be recognized as one of the top medical schools in the country.”

                            The rankings are based on expert opinion about program quality as well as statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty, research, and students. Opinions were gathered from deans, program directors, senior faculty members, and professionals in the field directly involved in hiring new graduates.

                            WVSOM dean Michael Adelman, D.O., notes that the school is now commanding attention and respect across the country. “When visitors come to our campus, they are completely in awe of our facilities and always come away very impressed with the overall quality of our program,” explains Dr. Adelman. “This was the case when the legislative interims met on our campus this past year. Their comments were extremely positive and complimentary.”

                            “We have all worked very hard for many years to put together a top-notch medical education program. Now, more and more people are standing up and taking notice,” he says.

                            WVSOM also made this year’s rankings in two additional categories – Family Practice and Primary Care. The rankings for “America’s Best Graduate Schools 2005” are available in the U.S. News’ “Best Graduate Schools” guidebook which goes on sale April 5, and in the latest edition of the U.S. News & World Report magazine. You can also access the rankings on-line at the U.S. News website.
                             

                            Buckeye(OH)

                            5K+ Member
                            10+ Year Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Mar 28, 2004
                            6,168
                            174
                            Toledo, Ohio
                            1. Fellow [Any Field]
                              Kevbot said:
                              well how could anyone argue with a post that long :D


                              Why bother to argue. I mean its obvious, if most of your graduates go into rural medicine, than you must be one of the top schools in the world....right?

                              I love how the post quotes the guy sayin, "we are honored blah blah to be among the country's elite medical schools." Yeah...newsflash. Graduates from the country's elite medical schools don't go into rural medicine.

                              But alas, I don't want to turn this into a flame war. So, WVSOM is the best :laugh:
                               

                              cooldreams

                              American Mensa Member :)
                              7+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Dec 11, 2003
                              2,063
                              4
                              43
                                it is quite tiring to listen to idiots like buckeye and kevbot here go off on MountaineerDoc's posts for wvsom.

                                "elite medical school" reference was in respect to those schools to who pride themselves in rural medicine. sure, some schools could care less. but obviously that is not the point, and obviously you two were much too blind and narrow minded to understand this.

                                further to "the point" was the reference by Hernandez that even questioned wvsom 's rural medicine track record. how blind can you guys be? if you cannot post anything constructive, then please, dont post at all. more garbage like that and i will just put you on my ignore list and urge others to do the same.

                                totally ridiculous you two... even more so that someone needs to explain this to you.

                                :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
                                 
                                About the Ads

                                Kevbot

                                Senior Member
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Oct 13, 2004
                                236
                                0
                                38
                                NJ
                                  cooldreams said:
                                  it is quite tiring to listen to idiots like buckeye and kevbot here go off on MountaineerDoc's posts for wvsom.

                                  "elite medical school" reference was in respect to those schools to who pride themselves in rural medicine. sure, some schools could care less. but obviously that is not the point, and obviously you two were much too blind and narrow minded to understand this.

                                  further to "the point" was the reference by Hernandez that even questioned wvsom 's rural medicine track record. how blind can you guys be? if you cannot post anything constructive, then please, dont post at all. more garbage like that and i will just put you on my ignore list and urge others to do the same.

                                  totally ridiculous you two... even more so that someone needs to explain this to you.

                                  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:


                                  I said no such thing. And if you read my earlier post you would realize that I clearly stated one medical school shouldn't be put over another or ranked. The people who are lighting the flame here are those that are doing so. I'm trying to prevent that. Just because BuckeyeOH is citing me doesn't mean I agree with him.
                                   

                                  Buckeye(OH)

                                  5K+ Member
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Mar 28, 2004
                                  6,168
                                  174
                                  Toledo, Ohio
                                  1. Fellow [Any Field]
                                    cooldreams said:
                                    it is quite tiring to listen to idiots like buckeye and kevbot here go off on MountaineerDoc's posts for wvsom.

                                    "elite medical school" reference was in respect to those schools to who pride themselves in rural medicine. sure, some schools could care less. but obviously that is not the point, and obviously you two were much too blind and narrow minded to understand this.

                                    further to "the point" was the reference by Hernandez that even questioned wvsom 's rural medicine track record. how blind can you guys be? if you cannot post anything constructive, then please, dont post at all. more garbage like that and i will just put you on my ignore list and urge others to do the same.

                                    totally ridiculous you two... even more so that someone needs to explain this to you.

                                    :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

                                    OH NO, PLEASEE, don't put me on your ignore list, whatever will I do?

                                    At least I don't resort to name calling and threats.
                                     

                                    Hernandez

                                    Paranoid and Crotchety...
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    May 14, 2004
                                    21,244
                                    9,246
                                    knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
                                    1. Attending Physician
                                      cooldreams said:
                                      further to "the point" was the reference by Hernandez that even questioned wvsom 's rural medicine track record. how blind can you guys be? if you cannot post anything constructive, then please, dont post at all. more garbage like that and i will just put you on my ignore list and urge others to do the same.

                                      :rolleyes:, reading comprehension is fundamental.

                                      Hernandez said:
                                      I hadn't heard anything about WVCOM's rural medicine, other than their campus was rural

                                      where did I question? I stated that I had not heard anything about WVCOM's rural medicine ranking.

                                      So just for that I shall reiterate 100% pass rate on boards last year and a higher overall overage at OSU-COM, (knock on wood).........
                                       

                                      cooldreams

                                      American Mensa Member :)
                                      7+ Year Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Dec 11, 2003
                                      2,063
                                      4
                                      43
                                        Hernandez said:
                                        :rolleyes:, reading comprehension is fundamental.

                                        where did I question? I stated that I had not heard anything about WVCOM's rural medicine ranking.

                                        So just for that I shall reiterate 100% pass rate on boards last year and a higher overall overage at OSU-COM, (knock on wood).........


                                        :confused:

                                        typically in some cultures where you either state that you are lacking information or give an explicit question, it is considered a question point that another person can in a logical conclusion be led to provide information that was lacking on that point - as was done.

                                        i am not trying to say anything about what you said other than your statement was the reason MountaineerDoc posted what he did, but was then ridiculed for posting something that attempted to give congrats to wvsom for rural meds. the following arguement was not about whether you had ever questioned it, but that supposed rural medicine is not considered a good thing.

                                        again it is sad that this needs to be explained. i cant be the only one that can logically follow a conversation am i? :(

                                        can we move on to a new topic??? this is lame....
                                         

                                        Hernandez

                                        Paranoid and Crotchety...
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        May 14, 2004
                                        21,244
                                        9,246
                                        knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
                                        1. Attending Physician
                                          cooldreams said:
                                          :confused:

                                          typically in some cultures where you either state that you are lacking information or give an explicit question, it is considered a question point that another person can in a logical conclusion be led to provide information that was lacking on that point - as was done.

                                          i am not trying to say anything about what you said other than your statement was the reason MountaineerDoc posted what he did, but was then ridiculed for posting something that attempted to give congrats to wvsom for rural meds. the following arguement was not about whether you had ever questioned it, but that supposed rural medicine is not considered a good thing.

                                          again it is sad that this needs to be explained. i cant be the only one that can logically follow a conversation am i? :(

                                          can we move on to a new topic??? this is lame....

                                          I have read that several times and it still seems like I was inculded in with the others, can I get a mod to put me on Probationary Status for going overboard and so my name matches my avatar?

                                          cooldreams said:
                                          it is quite tiring to listen to idiots like buckeye and kevbot here go off on MountaineerDoc's posts for wvsom.

                                          "elite medical school" reference was in respect to those schools to who pride themselves in rural medicine. sure, some schools could care less. but obviously that is not the point, and obviously you two were much too blind and narrow minded to understand this.

                                          further to "the point" was the reference by Hernandez that even questioned wvsom 's rural medicine track record. how blind can you guys be? if you cannot post anything constructive, then please, dont post at all. more garbage like that and i will just put you on my ignore list and urge others to do the same.

                                          totally ridiculous you two... even more so that someone needs to explain this to you.
                                           

                                          cooldreams

                                          American Mensa Member :)
                                          7+ Year Member
                                          15+ Year Member
                                          Dec 11, 2003
                                          2,063
                                          4
                                          43
                                            Hernandez said:
                                            I have read that several times and it still seems like I was inculded in with the others, can I get a mod to put me on Probationary Status for going overboard and so my name matches my avatar?

                                            i dont really care. i dont even see the point to argueing about this. i guess you do because you keep bringing it up. what do you want me to say? congrats that you still think im argueing about you even after i say now twice i was not? ok... congrats, you are a literary genius...

                                            that is the last i will say about this............................ :thumbdown: :thumbdown:


                                            i think that all of the schools are probablly the best or close to it in some area. find out what area means to most to you and go to that school.
                                             
                                            About the Ads

                                            WillowRose

                                            hot mama-yama
                                            7+ Year Member
                                            15+ Year Member
                                            Aug 5, 2003
                                            239
                                            0
                                            Stuck in the middle with you
                                              Buckeye(OH) said:
                                              I love how the post quotes the guy sayin, "we are honored blah blah to be among the country's elite medical schools." Yeah...newsflash. Graduates from the country's elite medical schools don't go into rural medicine.

                                              Yeah..cause if you're rich enough to go to an elite school, you don't care if poor people die. It's just more money for you! :p

                                              oooh...I can't wait to roll around naked in all that money money money :smuggrin:

                                              Maybe I could volunteer some time in a rural area to provide plastic surgery to inbred folks....that's a tax write-off, isn't it?

                                              Willow~~~
                                              dripping in sarcasm :rolleyes:
                                               

                                              MountaineerDoc

                                              Member
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              7+ Year Member
                                              Aug 16, 2004
                                              49
                                              0
                                              WV
                                              1. Medical Student
                                                Wow! it looks like the clear message I tried to hit sailed over the green and into a hazard! :D

                                                My post regarding WVSOM was only meant as a clarification to Kevbots statement stating we had a good rural medicine reputation, and Hernandez not hearing anything about it. I additionally wanted to back up what I was posting versus my own bias by quoting what was researched at NE, and reported by US News. I am also keenly aware of the rankings in US News and how they are misleading. However, when WV can make high on any GOOD list versus the ones for obesity, diabetes, smoking, heart disease, strokes, seditary activity, GED vs HS diploma... you get my point by now I hope. Then I am going to when the occasion arises, pump out our COPD chests for that moment.

                                                I do have a disclaimer though... I truely do believe WVSOM IS THE BEST DO SCHOOL, because that's the one that took me in! ;) other than that folks :rolleyes:

                                                Thanks Cool for getting it, and Kevbot you are right about my long posts and I should try to limit them to the length of my avtar :laugh:
                                                 

                                                DORoe

                                                BWAAA HAAA HAAA
                                                7+ Year Member
                                                15+ Year Member
                                                Dec 24, 2003
                                                893
                                                0
                                                39
                                                Ohio
                                                  WillowRose said:
                                                  Yeah..cause if you're rich enough to go to an elite school, you don't care if poor people die. It's just more money for you! :p

                                                  oooh...I can't wait to roll around naked in all that money money money :smuggrin:

                                                  Maybe I could volunteer some time in a rural area to provide plastic surgery to inbred folks....that's a tax write-off, isn't it?

                                                  Willow~~~
                                                  dripping in sarcasm :rolleyes:

                                                  I don't know about plastic surgery, but I'm sure you could perform some mulletectomies and get that coveted tax break. Willow, I guess us poor country folks are stuck with the bottom of the barrel doctors. I'll bet that bastard doctor that my dad goes forged that diploma from Duke. I should look closer at it the thing probably says Duke and duchess University. Or the guy that wrote my LOR to get in here that has the degree from Case Western pReserve University
                                                   

                                                  Buckeye(OH)

                                                  5K+ Member
                                                  10+ Year Member
                                                  15+ Year Member
                                                  Mar 28, 2004
                                                  6,168
                                                  174
                                                  Toledo, Ohio
                                                  1. Fellow [Any Field]
                                                    DORoe said:
                                                    I don't know about plastic surgery, but I'm sure you could perform some mulletectomies and get that coveted tax break. Willow, I guess us poor country folks are stuck with the bottom of the barrel doctors. I'll bet that bastard doctor that my dad goes forged that diploma from Duke. I should look closer at it the thing probably says Duke and duchess University. Or the guy that wrote my LOR to get in here that has the degree from Case Western pReserve University


                                                    You don't seriously believe that a large number of people from elite medical schools go into rural medicine do you?

                                                    Obviously there are going to be exceptions.
                                                     

                                                    Hernandez

                                                    Paranoid and Crotchety...
                                                    15+ Year Member
                                                    May 14, 2004
                                                    21,244
                                                    9,246
                                                    knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
                                                    1. Attending Physician
                                                      cooldreams said:
                                                      i dont really care. i dont even see the point to argueing about this. i guess you do because you keep bringing it up. what do you want me to say? congrats that you still think im argueing about you even after i say now twice i was not? ok... congrats, you are a literary genius...

                                                      that was suppose to be me backing off and admitting that I went over board without flat out saying it. hence the "can I get a mod to put me on probatory statues for going overboard" I won't tap dance around and say it if there is a next time.
                                                       

                                                      HoodyHoo

                                                      Full Member
                                                      10+ Year Member
                                                      15+ Year Member
                                                      Dec 29, 2003
                                                      472
                                                      3
                                                      Chitown
                                                      1. Fellow [Any Field]
                                                        docbill said:
                                                        (don't agree much about your quote "Done in Iraq, on to Iran... )

                                                        I guess I didn't really get your stance on it because I don't know if you understand what I meant. It's supposed to be sarcastic, and surely anti-war, I'm persian so the last thing I want is for Bush to start another war, especially against my people. Hope that clears it up.
                                                         

                                                        DORoe

                                                        BWAAA HAAA HAAA
                                                        7+ Year Member
                                                        15+ Year Member
                                                        Dec 24, 2003
                                                        893
                                                        0
                                                        39
                                                        Ohio
                                                          Buckeye(OH) said:
                                                          You don't seriously believe that a large number of people from elite medical schools go into rural medicine do you?

                                                          Obviously there are going to be exceptions.
                                                          What is a large number and what is an "elite school?" I can find a large percentage of doctors (actually about 33%) from my hometown (Cambridge, OH) that are from top 50 research schools according to US News. No I don't think a large number of them go into rural medicine, but neither do a large number of US graduates from "common" medical schools. This might shock you, but since there are a lot less people in rural areas (hence the name rural) there are a lot less doctors. So of course there are not going to be large amounts of as you call them "elite" medical school graduates going into rural medicine.
                                                           

                                                          docbill

                                                          Full Member
                                                          10+ Year Member
                                                          7+ Year Member
                                                          Aug 20, 2004
                                                          2,418
                                                          1
                                                          1. Medical Student
                                                            HoodyHoo said:
                                                            I guess I didn't really get your stance on it because I don't know if you understand what I meant. It's supposed to be sarcastic, and surely anti-war, I'm persian so the last thing I want is for Bush to start another war, especially against my people. Hope that clears it up.

                                                            OHhhh okay.. now where on the same page... :thumbup:
                                                             

                                                            Robz

                                                            La Vie Boheme
                                                            7+ Year Member
                                                            15+ Year Member
                                                            Aug 3, 2003
                                                            2,080
                                                            3
                                                            46
                                                            Drinking Texas Tea
                                                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                              HoodyHoo said:
                                                              NSUCOM, OUCOM, DMUCOM, TUCOM, PCOM, PCCOM, DCOM, LCOM, LERCOM, BUTTCOM, FACECOM, DICCOM, JACKCOM, DOCOM, and probably A$$COM.

                                                              everyone will always say this and that......"oh our anatomy department is better, our OMM is better, we have the best rotations, blah blah blah."

                                                              The bottom line is nobody has a clue, especially me, what the F they are talking about, so just go on your own instinct and research.

                                                              I laughed for about 2 minutes stright after reading this......cause it is soooo true.
                                                               

                                                              WillowRose

                                                              hot mama-yama
                                                              7+ Year Member
                                                              15+ Year Member
                                                              Aug 5, 2003
                                                              239
                                                              0
                                                              Stuck in the middle with you
                                                                DORoe said:
                                                                What is a large number and what is an "elite school?" I can find a large percentage of doctors (actually about 33%) from my hometown (Cambridge, OH) that are from top 50 research schools according to US News. No I don't think a large number of them go into rural medicine, but neither do a large number of US graduates from "common" medical schools. This might shock you, but since there are a lot less people in rural areas (hence the name rural) there are a lot less doctors. So of course there are not going to be large amounts of as you call them "elite" medical school graduates going into rural medicine.

                                                                And then there is the issue of these places being underserved....meaning not too many people from ANY medical school are going into practice there.

                                                                But Buckeye(OH)--if that is his real name--really insults both rural medicine and graduates of elite schools by implying that the two are mutually exclusive. If graduates of elite schools don't go into rural medicine it is probably because there's not enough money or there's not enough prestige.

                                                                A Harvard grad made the papers in Eastern Ky a few years back because she had the crazy idea of going into practice in Whitesburg, Ky. Her reasoning: being rural doesn't make you less deserving of good health care.

                                                                The great thing about WV, Pikeville, and VA schools is that there are putting a lot of effort into turning out doctors for the areas that most need them. And maybe that is a strike against them on the grand poo-bah's list of schools.

                                                                Now I must go study anatomy so that I won't sever a nerve while performing mulletectomies!

                                                                Willow
                                                                 

                                                                BlueFalcon

                                                                curmudgeon
                                                                10+ Year Member
                                                                15+ Year Member
                                                                Feb 15, 2001
                                                                579
                                                                1
                                                                  EMTLizzy said:
                                                                  Yup! All the schools are good. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say that if you go to any school in the US (allo or osteo) then you're going to a great school.
                                                                  Heck, I'd even go so far as to say you have no idea what you're talking about, Lizzy since not only have you NOT attended all the schools in the country, you haven't yet begun to attend even one.
                                                                   

                                                                  cooldreams

                                                                  American Mensa Member :)
                                                                  7+ Year Member
                                                                  15+ Year Member
                                                                  Dec 11, 2003
                                                                  2,063
                                                                  4
                                                                  43
                                                                    BlueFalcon said:
                                                                    Heck, I'd even go so far as to say you have no idea what you're talking about, Lizzy since not only have you NOT attended all the schools in the country, you haven't yet begun to attend even one.

                                                                    but then again, you are "Dr. Stupid" .... so if i were lizzy, i wouldnt care what you have to say :D
                                                                     

                                                                    Gibby Haynes

                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    7+ Year Member
                                                                    15+ Year Member
                                                                    Oct 26, 2003
                                                                    105
                                                                    0
                                                                    Michigan
                                                                      shane679 said:
                                                                      Is there a way to know the pass rate on the COMLEX(or USMLE) for each college? Is there information about where schools place their students for residency programs?
                                                                      csh
                                                                      Check out the sticky above for resident match lists for residency placement. You might have to contact the admissions office of each program to ask about COMLEX pass rates. My school doesn't require us to report our usmle scores so you may not get any info on it.
                                                                       
                                                                      About the Ads
                                                                      This thread is more than 16 years old.

                                                                      Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                                                      1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                      7. This thread is locked.