Best Osteopathic School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man, these threads always get so damn violent. This is why I love SDN: "Where the nerds can act big and tough and take everything personal," if only we had 12 year olds that dressed up to look like they were 20 we could call ourselves "myspace..."

Not enough cleavage for myspace...

Members don't see this ad.

Not enough cleavage for myspace...
true.....you always find the one hot friend...who has another hot friend....it never ends.....not to mention the emails I always get for new friends who want me to check out their webcams.....ah myspace....i used to waste so much precious study time on there when i first discovered it last year...

true.....you always find the one hot friend...who has another hot friend....it never ends.....not to mention the emails I always get for new friends who want me to check out their webcams.....ah myspace....i used to waste so much precious study time on there when i first discovered it last year...

We had the DO girls are hotter than MD girls, but none of the girls wanted to pony up to show pictures to...umm, prove our research. We just have to try harder I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had the DO girls are hotter than MD girls, but none of the girls wanted to pony up to show pictures to...umm, prove our research. We just have to try harder I guess.
hmm...we do need research on our CV's to look good for residencies.... I'm up for doing a retrospective female student picture eval so we can once and for all crown the hottest...er..i mean best....osteopathic school.....anyone wanna boost their CV along w/ me?

hmm...we do need research on our CV's to look good for residencies.... I'm up for doing a retrospective female student picture eval so we can once and for all crown the hottest...er..i mean best....osteopathic school.....anyone wanna boost their CV along w/ me?

we should start a thread about it, select a few judges and people can post their pics or PM them to judges if they dont want to post on the thread. and well crown the hottest DO school based on this sample. if the girls show enough skin, this research will surely make us competitive for derm.

It is a measureable thing...but here's the right way to do it:

rooster.jpg

ruler.jpg

I don't know if you should be more worried that your cock is 12mm big, or that it is red..... :laugh:

we should start a thread about it, select a few judges and people can post their pics or PM them to judges if they dont want to post on the thread. and well crown the hottest DO school based on this sample. if the girls show enough skin, this research will surely make us competitive for derm.

hahha I'm sure they will be impressed :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP: I take it back. JPHazeltons list is right and I was wrong. Sorry for any confusion.

Now doesnt that feel like the right thing to do?

:thumbup:

Now doesnt that feel like the right thing to do?

:thumbup:

Damn Philadelphians, always booing poor Santa. :D

Anyways, we tried the hot osteopathic girl thread and it got thrown down because some girls could not believe that men thought that way. You know, that some girls were attractive. I mean, how rude. So, I guess we will just have to play it smart and go with the obvious: DMU girls are smoking, therefore, we are number one. Sorry JP, you have to re-order your list now. And no **** about how we are in the middle of the corn. You have no clue what corn makes girls do. Its like Spring break baby. :laugh:

*I am sure someone will take this seriously and call me sexist...*

Enough of this nonsense! It is about time the ladies start a hottest DO school based on the pics that the guys post....

Members don't see this ad :)
Enough of this nonsense! It is about time the ladies start a hottest DO school based on the pics that the guys post....

This is easy. Based on avatar alone, jphazelton is obviously the sexiest. Look at the size of that bone

This is easy. Based on avatar alone, jphazelton is obviously the sexiest. Look at the size of that bone

That reminds me of the most mundane fact I have ever learned in life: A walrus has a 2 foot long erectile bone that eskimos used as a weapon. Can you imagine being beaten the death with a walrus penis?

As for that thread, I am done: I am the Sydney Opera House, how sexy am I?

A walrus has a 2 foot long erectile bone that eskimos used as a weapon. Can you imagine being beaten the death with a walrus penis?

It's a bone?

By the way, the Yupik (Eskimo) name for that walrus penis is "usik" (pronounced "OOH-sick"). :)

You have rightfully earned my never used "get a life" SDN line :love:

What posts were you reading?

I'm sorry I gave my opinion. I'll never do it again. It will never be as valid as yours oh great JPHazelton, master of all things medical school. I hope one day when I'm in my fifth year of medical school doing a fellowship in the hyper-competetive, evidence-based "specialty", OMM, I can be half as wise. Please forgive me and the folks at US News.

To the OP: I take it back. JPHazeltons list is right and I was wrong. Sorry for any confusion.

Pikeville #1! GO BEARS!:laugh:

Everyone is forgetting something very important...

I go to NSU...therefore, NSU is obviously the best. ;)

Note: (Joke).

I have been ordered by gun point and a picture of Kaikai, to withdraw my previous post of her lacking of hottness. I would do her, and that should be enough for everyone. To Kaikai: is this worth the 5 dollars? :laugh: Aww I kid, she's a cutie, everyone go to NSU.

Any girl who would send you a picture of her is either lying and sending someone elses picture...or too high maintenance to be worth the effort.

Personally I like the beautiful confident types that dont need reinforcement of their physical attractiveness from other people. ;)

Any girl who would send you a picture of her is either lying and sending someone elses picture...or too high maintenance to be worth the effort.

Personally I like the beautiful confident types that dont need reinforcement of their physical attractiveness from other people. ;)
thats an odd way of asking for a picture jp....

Since when did SDN become a dating service.....? And on an overly related note, did anyone else hear about the match.com serial rapist?

Your mother Jp, your mother. Geez, are you still angry that you didn't attend UMDNJ?

:laugh: No, no, no! We said HOTTEST, not largest!! When will you guys ever learn?!!! :laugh:

With all the new schools popping up every year I see a clear distinction between the older DO schools and the new crop of schools.

Personally I would rank an older established school over a new, unproven school any day. At least wait until they take boards and graduate a class.

Schools with solid reputations are always a plus.

School which are not in the new for negative happenings is good.

If I had to pick 5 DO schools that I would send my kids to...

PCOM
CCOM
Kansas City (whatever the name is now)
OSUCOM
Michigan State

What are your thoughts on Kirksville COM, JP?

I think I should just keep my mouth shut for the remainder of this topic. :D

Im getting too many PMs and links to MySpace pages for me to "evaluate" peoples pictures.

I stand by my above comments. :p

I was at LECOM-Erie for their post-bacc program, I spent a year there. It's kinda like a prison with the security, and the dress code, no food or drink anywhere on campus etc. But it gets you a DO degree.

I'm at WVSOM. In a really small town, but there are no distractions at all. Our anatomy lab is awesome, instructors are all fluent in English and very accommodating. I can honestly say I like it here alot, though I was very skeptical because of all those WV stereotypes. We have 4 bodies per anatomy table, and in our OPP classes there are 8 people per 4 tables per 1 instructor. So there is a very favorable ratio here. There is absolutely nothing to do in this down so it's ez to stay focused.

PCOM has a great rep, but I too many distractions (ROH) for me. I'm from that area.

You do realize that no one has posted in this topic for 2 years?

While I wouldn't criticize the education I received there I would criticize the school as a whole, mostly because of its administration.

In case you are considering KCUMB...I suggest you seriously rethink your options before selecting KCUMB. I am sure each medical school has their shortcomings and issues to address but KCUMB is definitely no exception. The school has lost numerous faculty over the last several years because of its "corrupt administration" (President Pletz) and is well known for providing a sub-standard clinical education during 3rd and 4th years.

Students are not valued at KCUMB by the administration. This is of course an opinion but it is a widely held opinion amongst the student body. The faculty who are still there do for the most part take an active interest in their students and there are some tremendous teachers. The administration, however, does not care about your education. At KCUMB you will be treated as a child and viewed as a dollar sign.

Administration does not work with students. Instead, they work against them. You will fight them to get what you rightly deserve considering the huge amount of tuition you will pay.

The president makes around 1.4million$ per year with compensation as everyone was informed last year in a mass email a concerned student sent out to the student body. That makes her like the 3rd highest paid med school president in the country!!! You can find this information on guidestar.org

The president of the university is something of a tyrant at the school. She has done a lot to build the school up but putting the education of the student and the desires of the faculty first is not one of them.

The school recently hired a dean to replace the old one who left because of conflict with the administraiton. The new dean is like 30 years old. I am sure he is an exceptional doctor etc but remember you are the one paying $40,000 per year for tuition and deserve only the best.

It is widely known that KCUMB reads student email, a huge invasion of personal privacy.

During the summer between years 2 and 3 students are forced to remain in Kansas City and attend "summer courses". These are "filler" and only serve to allow the very small percent of students who participate in the MBA program to finish out the program while everyone else waits. This way they are not behind other students which is in KCUMB interests financially but not in the educational interests of most students. It amounts to a wasted summer. So while most med schools have their students participating in clinical rotations by June, July or August, you will not start them until September at KCUMB. This puts you at an automatic disadvantage to other students who you rotate with who already have several rotations under their belt.

It also puts you at a disadvantage when applying for residency because you will have only been able to complete from 0 to 2/3 elective rotations (the field you may want to go into, completed during 4th year) before applications should be submitted (depending upon the program). Basically you may have to commit to what you want to do before you have had a chance to really see if it is what you want.

I encourage anyone looking at KCUMB as a future school to investigate other osteopathic schools, including KCUMB, much more. Talk to current students online, search for them on facebook, etc. I am not talking about students used by the school to recruit. I am talking about regular students who will speak candidly. If you hear more than a few serious and intelligent concerns then assume there are many more you are not hearing.

I have not had any direct problems with KCUMB and do not harbor any individual grudges. I have been treated the same as all other students. I, however, believe students deserve a school that works in their interests instead of only the interests of the school's bank account. The KCUMB administration will do as little as they have to, especially during your 3rd and 4th years, where the drop off in education and direction is huge. By that time, however, it is too late for the student advocate. When a student tries to ask for better clinical rotations or a change in the curriculum they are not taken seriously. When students have continued to speak up about such issues they have been indirectly threatened with expulsion. With huge amounts of loan money hanging over your head you really have no recourse at that point. The administration is commonly known to bully any dissenting students.

I know right now all a premed is thinking about is "just get me in the door" and so did I but wow I wish I could have looked past that and really examined my potential schools hard. I'm just trying to save future students from the shortsightedness I fell victim to.

If you talk to students at the Oklahoma osteopathic school, NYCOM, UMDNJ, Kirksville, Arizona, New England, Michigan, etc and hear these same kinds of things then I guess the problem is more widespread than I was aware, but at least do yourself the service of going to that extra length.

Good luck to all of you on your journey to become doctors. If it is your desire to be a good one then nothing will stop you.

Concerned Student

I won't comment on alleged issues or problems with certain schools, etc., or which school I think may be best. In my experience, it's not a particularly fruitful exercise on these boards, nor is it my place to do make these comments. However, I do highly recommend, as I have consistantly done throughout my time here, that prospective medical students thoroughly research the medical schools in which they are considering application, during the application process. Go beyond the usual and dig deeper. Absolutely don't buy into the hype from any school. You have to understand that, as an aspiring physician, while few things are more joyful than being accepted into medical school and becoming initiated into a great tradition, it would be prudent to understand that it's also a business. It's sad, but an undeniable reality. Don't let it cloud your judgment. You are a consumer here, so you have the responsibility to shop around and find not only the best fit, but also the best value. Schools are going to try to recruit you and obviously market to you to make their product seem attractive. You are going to hear a lot of what amounts to advertising from a variety sources and it'll sound like sweet music to your ears; it's up to you to screen all this information very carefully and decide what's true and what is pure marketing. Be highly critical about the schools in which you are making application and judge with care. It's only your future we are talking about here. At the end of the day, don't simply accept what sounds pretty. Choose the school that is going to work with you to make you the best physician you can be, and when you do commit to a school, thoroughly understand what you are getting yourself into.

I heard he reincarnated and just dropped the "H," as in JaggerPlate. ;)

I guess you'll never know ... ;)

(just as an aside, I am not Dr JPH. I really wish I was already a surgical resident - yet alone a surgical resident at PCOM -, but alas ... simply a pre-med).

I'm still mad about JP being banned

Aren't we all. He was honestly a great asset to these boards, and to pre-DO students, but I think in all fairness he was given a lot of chances to simma down and was just too awesome to handle on the boards (ie: he made a lot of people cry).

I guess you'll never know ... ;)

(just as an aside, I am not Dr JPH. I really wish I was already a surgical resident - yet alone a surgical resident at PCOM -, but alas ... simply a pre-med).

Haha yeah I know. Although most of us find you an insightful participant around here, no one is JPH except for JPH. However, I thought I'd point out a nice little coinky-dink to bust a chop and make some people scratch their heads. :D

Hey guys!

Just wanted to ask this question since I wasn't able to find a thread for it. But considering all the D.O. schools in the country, where would you go? what do you think is the top 5 schools to go to (considering residency stats, hospitals affiliated, basic living environment, organization of classes and school as a whole, etc.)?

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

oh yea, just give a short reasoning for your choices if you can :)

Hey guys!

Just wanted to ask this question since I wasn't able to find a thread for it. But considering all the D.O. schools in the country, where would you go? what do you think is the top 5 schools to go to (considering residency stats, hospitals affiliated, basic living environment, organization of classes and school as a whole, etc.)?

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

You couldn't find a thread for it??????????? How many nanoseconds did you look? There are so many threads asking the identical question that a dollar for each would pay for your medical education. :laugh:

I have to agree, this has been discussed to death, and mostly the answer is "whatever school accepts you is the best one."

I'll post a quick synopsis of a post I made several years ago regarding this topic:

You'l rank your schools before you go visit. I know I did... and when I actually went and interviewed, my first ranked school went to so far beyond last I withdrew. It was just not the right place for me (in fact my interview day was so poor I wondered that it would be the right place for anyone). However, in it's own right it's a fine school. Just not for me.

So your "ranking" of schools is quite subjective. Apply, then go visit and make up your own mind. Stop asking for people to do your thinking for you - you'll inevitably be disappointed by the results.

Short answer: PCOM. (And I don't even go there.) Honorable mentions go to CCOM, Western, NYCOM, and perhaps MSUCOM or UMDNJ. (I'll let everyone else bicker over the reasons.)

In the broadest sense, however, I'd say you're better off trying to get into one of the older and more established DO schools (which include the ones in the list above plus many more) rather than some of the brand-new ones (i.e., the Touros in CA/NV, etc)...and you should probably avoid Rocky Vista altogether (unless you absolutely must be in CO or have no other choice or whatever).

You couldn't find a thread for it??????????? How many nanoseconds did you look? There are so many threads asking the identical question that a dollar for each would pay for your medical education. :laugh:

sorry if i'm new here and i'm not as smart as many of you. i didn't find the thread and that was the truth. i was just asking.

I have to agree, this has been discussed to death, and mostly the answer is "whatever school accepts you is the best one."

I'll post a quick synopsis of a post I made several years ago regarding this topic:

You'l rank your schools before you go visit. I know I did... and when I actually went and interviewed, my first ranked school went to so far beyond last I withdrew. It was just not the right place for me (in fact my interview day was so poor I wondered that it would be the right place for anyone). However, in it's own right it's a fine school. Just not for me.

So your "ranking" of schools is quite subjective. Apply, then go visit and make up your own mind. Stop asking for people to do your thinking for you - you'll inevitably be disappointed by the results.

I'm not asking anyone to think for me. i was merely asking for an opinion. get it? besides, there is no room for disappointment because I didn't rank any of the schools. like i said, all i wanted was an opinion.