Best Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtlespeed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Either way, you've got to make sure you have a solid GPA and strong MCAT score. Everything else is gravy - having a couple years' worth of work experience can supplement your app.

But the medical extra-curriculars are key - volunteering, shadowing, clinical experience.

I was in the same boat. I graduated in 2007 with a degree in economics/finance, but I knew deep down I wanted to work in health care as a physician.

I just started a post-baccalaureate this summer.

I decided that it would be easier for me to work a year or so, save up some money, and then start a post-bacc at a cheaper state school near me then to just get my bachelor's and start right away at taking my science pre-requisites.

My reasoning was:

1) Save up some money.

2) It is easier for me to convince not only others (MD admissions, etc.) but myself that the office cubicle is not for me by having worked full time in the industry.

By the way, I was working at a small hedge fund, so although the income potential was amazing, I realized that the money alone could not motivate me enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
whatever answers you get regarding this are just people's opinions....

so my opinion is... I think having real work experience is a good sign of maturity, on top of that, you have a nice GPA, so as far as GPA goes, your golden.

I am in a little bit similar situation, well, I graduated in '04 with a Computer Science & Math degree, been doing the I.T work since summer 2005 and from first 6 months I was in this job, i realised that office work is not for me and a more people-to-people interaction kinda work is what I should really be going into (like medicine),

So I stayed at my job (still working there, as matter of fact, Im at work right now hehe), and took post-bacc on a parttime/fulltime bases since spring of 2007, I am almost done with all my pre-med classes, the only once I have left are the upper division sciences (you know, biochem, microbio, genetics, etc)

Thanks for the all the tips so far. Yes this decision is completely not motivated by money. If I wanted that I could do IB for a couple years and then start clearing 200K in PE. I have always wanted a challenging career where I can make a real difference in individuals lives. I do not think that I would be able to work at the same time I am taking class. The average week for consulting is about 70 hours.