Technology best PDA for the wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue Synapse

The Dude Has Got No Mercy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a $200 gift certificate for Dell, and I think I'll use it to get a PDA for clinical rotations. It seems like PDA's and smartphones are becoming more and more useful/critical for wards, though I hear PDA's have the upper hand because of the cool software (diagnostic software, PDR, drug tables, etc) that you can install.

Does anyone have a PDA they love or hate, or otherwise have any advice on which product to get? I'm not necessarily interested in making phone calls with it; I just want the most useful model for the clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

my Palm TX (school issued) has given me nothing but trouble, for what it's worth.

I've got a $200 gift certificate for Dell, and I think I'll use it to get a PDA for clinical rotations. It seems like PDA's and smartphones are becoming more and more useful/critical for wards, though I hear PDA's have the upper hand because of the cool software (diagnostic software, PDR, drug tables, etc) that you can install.

Does anyone have a PDA they love or hate, or otherwise have any advice on which product to get? I'm not necessarily interested in making phone calls with it; I just want the most useful model for the clinic.

The most useful model is the smallest, thinnest one that doesn't take up too much space in a white coat pocket.

I seriously hate mine. Epocrates is useful, I guess, but I don't use the pda for much else. Since I'm forced to have one, I would have gotten a treo - a real pda + cell phone = one less thing to carry.

Members don't see this ad :)
why would you say iphone? you can't put anywhere near the amount of medical info on an iphone as you can on a palm os or windows mobile device.

my vote is for the treo/centro line. true one hand usability, touch screen, TONS of free medical software, and you can do anything with it an iphone can do (watch movies, listen to mp3s, internet, etc - but maybe it's not as pretty).

J

can someone explain why the iphone isn't good enough? I mean, maybe right now @ 8GB it lacks storage space, but assuming they bump it to 16GB before i do my rotations, why not? It works better than most multi-function devices I've ever tried. I absolutely don't trust what my school recommends for technology. I was a ******* and bought their recommended computer. What a mistake.

Hey everyone - this is not exactly the point of this thread, so sorry to hijack it a little bit. My school used to give us PDAs 3rd year, but recently decided not to due to the rising costs, etc...

Anyway, my question is, is it worth having a PDA for the wards to have medical dictionaries, disease and drug information and such? I am just wondering how much you really use them and how much of a benefit it is to have one.

why would you say iphone? you can't put anywhere near the amount of medical info on an iphone as you can on a palm os or windows mobile device.

my vote is for the treo/centro line. true one hand usability, touch screen, TONS of free medical software, and you can do anything with it an iphone can do (watch movies, listen to mp3s, internet, etc - but maybe it's not as pretty).

J

True but I'm won over by the prettiness.

Pink Nintendo DS light with a homebrew organizer of course :thumbup:

can someone explain why the iphone isn't good enough? I mean, maybe right now @ 8GB it lacks storage space, but assuming they bump it to 16GB before i do my rotations, why not? It works better than most multi-function devices I've ever tried. I absolutely don't trust what my school recommends for technology. I was a ******* and bought their recommended computer. What a mistake.

it has nothing to do with storage space. I have everything i could ever want on my treo with a 1GB card in it (i even have 2 full length movies on it). the fact of the matter is that you can't customize an iphone the way you can a treo. you simply have no options with an iphone in terms of medical software. sure they're starting to get some programs but I don't think they even have epocrates available for it yet. this may change in the future but how long will it take to develop the kind of support the palm os and WM have right now???

sure the iphone is pretty (my fiancee has one, I have used it, i was jealous for a second), handles movies and mp3s nicely, but you're asking to use this thing on the wards... so you need to look for what kind of medical software is available and really there isn't anything great out for it.

I've been very happy with my Palm LifeDrive. Haven't made it to the wards yet, so it isn't quite trench tested at the moment...

There actually isn't any medical software for the iphone at the moment. There are one or two "applications" (I use the term loosely) available that work through the internet. There are two problems with this. 1) On data intensive stuff the iphone broadband is slow, nothing like 3g speed, and orders of magnitude slower than an application loaded into your phone. 2) Can you get a broadband signal everywhere you need to go within the hospital? I sure can't. Where I am there are a lot of hallways, floors, the basement, etc where I simply can't get a broadband signal. Any program that requires an active broadband signal is therefore completely useless to me on the wards.

Now that Apple has finally made an SDK available this will likely change, but not soon enough for anyone looking at a pda/phone today.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like the Palm TX through Dell's store will be the best financial deal. Agent Splat said it was nothing but trouble. Why? Does anybody else have any experience with this PDA?

I don't think I want to go for a smartphone because I'd rather just carry around my currently slim cellphone when I go anywhere rather than a bulky smartphone. Plus, our hospital is notorious for bad reception, so I don't see the point of using a cellphone on rotations. So I think I'll go for a dedicated PDA, and the Palm TX looks promising.

Plus, our hospital is notorious for bad reception, so I don't see the point of using a cellphone on rotations.

True, the reception can be spotty in places, but a cell phone is SO MUCH better than a pager! Text messaging your resident is ten times more useful than paging your resident. Plus, with a cell phone by your side, you can return pages any time and from anywhere - with a pager, you always have to hunt out a hospital phone. With a cell phone plus a pager, you can actually, you know, leave the hospital for short periods of time.

I'd rather have my cell phone with me than my pager. Some senior residents don't even carry their own personal pagers (just code pagers/trauma pagers) anymore - they just use their cell phones to take care of business.

i have dell axim 51, i think the latest version available, the epocrates software run very slow on it for some reason
otherwise its a great tech piece, wireless, media , everything i love it,
havent really taken the time to figure out why its running slow, but i am sure there is some solution

No matter what you use, knowledge of CPTS ICD9s are critical to your success. Unless your father owns a ketchup factory, you"ll have to look at your spouse and children for the rest of yourlife and care about their security. Economic freedom goes a long way to meet the complex demands of modern medicine. Learn to control your destiny because a lot of people are willing to do that for you.

No matter what you use, knowledge of CPTS ICD9s are critical to your success. Unless your father owns a ketchup factory, you"ll have to look at your spouse and children for the rest of yourlife and care about their security. Economic freedom goes a long way to meet the complex demands of modern medicine. Learn to control your destiny because a lot of people are willing to do that for you.

Alex, I'll take non sequiturs for 500.

I have always found a PDA very useful on the wards. Originally had a Tungsten T3 and now Palm Treo 680 (it's great having a single device for phone/palm). Having a drug directory (MIMS in Australia) and some sort of local therapeutic guidelines and drug reference (e.g Therapeutic guidelines, Australian Medicines Handbook) is fantastic, especially in the first year or two out of med school. Other references I really used were the "on call" series for dealing with common ward problems. It's only the textbook type references that are not worth having on the PDA in my experience.

Skyscape has a range of software available in many specialties as well. Not to mention the personal organiser functions,

JT

I'm wondering what the advantages are to using a PDA vs. a smartphone (or vice versa) on the wards? I'm terrible with technology and would definitely like to keep it simple w/ one device rather than two....
Do you have to pay extra to your cell provider to use the internet in the hospital or to sync things with your computer? I know I will have to keep a "patient log". Do you get charged air time when you're doing these things? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but like I said, I'm terrible with technology. Thanks!!

I don't see where anyone has mentioned the MOST obvious thing about the iPhone...it doesn't NEED any software because it is a web-browser! Up-to-date, Harrison's, anything you want (okay, pretty much anything you want) can be accessed from the iPhone.:love:

I don't see where anyone has mentioned the MOST obvious thing about the iPhone...it doesn't NEED any software because it is a web-browser! Up-to-date, Harrison's, anything you want (okay, pretty much anything you want) can be accessed from the iPhone.:love:

except if you are not in a wifi area and are in the bowels of the hospital where you don't get phone reception. then you are completely out of luck. not to mention that the EDGE network is very slow, so if you are out of wifi, the internet is kinda painful. I am a HUGE fan of the iphone, but without programs, it's no good for medicine. But the programs are on their way! And all the rumors point to a 3G version coming out this year (way faster internet when not on wifi)

Have a PALM T/X from Amazon with mostly free software (there's a lot of it for Palm) including medical texts. Bought a $10 2G SD card on which I loaded my MP3 audiio books and music. Plays fine through the T/X. Also have internet connectivity. It was fairly inexpensive and works with Vista (after researching on the Web). I think through AMSA or Epocrates you can buy the T/X or other PDAs with Epocrates pre-loaded, if you like.

Hopefully in a year or two Google or Apple will have the ultimate 'killer' device at the right price-point that works on any network. The T/X is for treading water right now to have access to medical software, books and audio. That's where most of the applications are (and on the Windows equivalent). The Treo sounds like it might be a good candidate now but so far I'm OK with my basic, retrograde PDA.

It looks like the Palm TX through Dell's store will be the best financial deal. Agent Splat said it was nothing but trouble. Why? Does anybody else have any experience with this PDA?

I don't think I want to go for a smartphone because I'd rather just carry around my currently slim cellphone when I go anywhere rather than a bulky smartphone. Plus, our hospital is notorious for bad reception, so I don't see the point of using a cellphone on rotations. So I think I'll go for a dedicated PDA, and the Palm TX looks promising.

I've loved my Palm TX, which I've used for almost 3 years, but it has had a lot of problems. My touchscreen developed numerous dead spots within the first 6 months and it has become a pain to write/type anything in. I'm planning on sending it in for repairs (spent extra for an extended warranty), but I haven't yet steeled myself to live without it while it's being fixed. It's also been less stable than Palms have been known for in the past--I've had to do a full reformat & reinstall each program one by one (last time it took about 3 days to do this) about once a year. Otherwise, it would often reboot when I used the "search" functions, reboot when trying to open certain programs, etc.

In general, my dependence on my Palm has been more for ancillary/personal purposes rather than medical. It just isn't practical to turn it on, navigate to the right program, and find what I want in the middle of rounds. I do have a lot of textbooks on it, but it isn't comfortable reading on the little screen--it's easier to read off a computer screen. I originally thought the wireless ability would be crucial, but most of the hospitals I've rotated through don't have wireless on many of the wards. I've since thought that smartphones would resolve this problem as they don't depend on somebody having a wireless network. Patient information managers are useful in theory, but again, I've had so many problems with the touch screen, it's easier to write on a piece of paper.

That being said, I love it for personal purposes. I depend on my calendar, and it also syncs with an online calendar for my family members to check. I also have a little crossword program for those moments (ahem...lectures...) that could use a little attention supplement. There's this eBook program that lets me download electronic books that I borrow from the local library (don't even have to walk in!) that also helps fill in those 5-10 minutes when I am waiting in line for something. And, since the screen is lit up, I can read in bed while the significant other is trying to sleep. Other programs I use all the time - financial tracker, running log, automobile fuel mileage & repair log, mp3 player, movie player....

I've been using Palm Treos for several years - first the 600, then 650, and now 700. I find it convenient to have one device that handles e-mail, phone, and medical software. Palm has always had the largest number of medical programs for it (though this seems to be changing). However, other than the much improved internal memory, the 700 has proven to be a dismal performer for me. Whenever it syncs with my e-mail server (every few minutes) its stops responding for 5-10 seconds, no matter what you are doing. It just freezes - accepts no inputs, does nothing. This is extremely irritating, not to mention that the e-mail sync application that comes with it is unreliable. So, I am looking at another smart phone. Anyone have experience or reccomendations regarding the Windows-based ones?

if you still love the palm OS (like me) then go with the centro - better price point and does everything

if you're done with all things Palm and ready to jump ship to WM, check out the at&t tilt - pretty slick device

You will find the most medical programs for both the Palm and Windows phones. The problem with these is that the operating systems are full of problems.

If you are more interested in using the internet for medical research, and don't mind fewer medical programs, then i would suggest Blackberry or iPhone.

ePocrates is certainly the best medical program out there, in my opinion, and the full version is only available for Palm or Windows. The Rx only version of ePocrates is free for the Blackberry, and will be available this summer for the iPhone.

If you aren't interested in a phone feature, I'd stick with the Palm or Windows, with the caveat that the internet won't work as well, and the software will crash often...

You will find the most medical programs for both the Palm and Windows phones. The problem with these is that the operating systems are full of problems.

If you are more interested in using the internet for medical research, and don't mind fewer medical programs, then i would suggest Blackberry or iPhone.

ePocrates is certainly the best medical program out there, in my opinion, and the full version is only available for Palm or Windows. The Rx only version of ePocrates is free for the Blackberry, and will be available this summer for the iPhone.

If you aren't interested in a phone feature, I'd stick with the Palm or Windows, with the caveat that the internet won't work as well, and the software will crash often...

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll probably end up going with a Blackberry.

I don't understand all this blackberry love in the world of medicine. It's great for those business people who need push email and like to have their service completely cut off periodically without notice. But for medicine Palm and Windows are currently the best options (in that order).

Palm runs very smoothly and programs open up quickly. Yes you may have an occasional reset, big deal - it's not like you lose any info.

Windows can be sluggish as it's trying to function as a scaled down PC - too much going on at times.

Before buying - ask yourself what you want to do with the device. If you want textbooks, medical programs, word/excel/ppt, calendar, contacts, email, web, bluetooth, IR beaming, touchscreen, watch movies, listen to mp3s, text messaging then you should really get Palm>Windows Mob. (Palm Centro is $99 and can do everything)

If you don't want textbooks, most med programs, IR beaming, movies, touch screen then consider the crackberry.

Most people don't understand what you can really do with these devices until someone shows them so also browse some of the forums related to each device to see how much functionality you can really get out of them and what will suit your needs best.

except if you are not in a wifi area and are in the bowels of the hospital where you don't get phone reception. then you are completely out of luck. not to mention that the EDGE network is very slow, so if you are out of wifi, the internet is kinda painful.

when u talk abt Wi-Fi area...do u mean local/hospital Wi-Fi or do u mean a city-wide/public Wi-Fi...I am sorry if I sound stupid..but just wanted to make sure before i give my money to Apple..

except if you are not in a wifi area and are in the bowels of the hospital where you don't get phone reception. then you are completely out of luck. not to mention that the EDGE network is very slow, so if you are out of wifi, the internet is kinda painful. I am a HUGE fan of the iphone, but without programs, it's no good for medicine. But the programs are on their way! And all the rumors point to a 3G version coming out this year (way faster internet when not on wifi)

ePocrates will be available for iPhone this summer. It is already available for Blackberry. Both have the advantage of internet that Palm and Windows don't.

ePocrates will be available for iPhone this summer. It is already available for Blackberry. Both have the advantage of internet that Palm and Windows don't.

Actually, I can browse the web on my Palm Treo 700p.

I like the programs for the palm, I just hate the 700p. It can be slow as mollases at times. If there were a faster Palm alternative, I would choose that.

please explain

I like the programs for the palm, I just hate the 700p. It can be slow as mollases at times. If there were a faster Palm alternative, I would choose that.

it's called the palm centro

You can browse the internet with Windows also, but the iPhone and Blackberry are faster and more reliable.

it's called the palm centro

Palm Centro requires Sprint access? You can't do another company? What's the cheapest plan someone could get for internet access? Too bad it doesn't have wi-fi too. After reading this thread, I'm leaning towards this choice...

palm centro can be had with AT&T as well now (in white or black).

palm centro can be had with AT&T as well now (in white or black).

Nice. Cingular's now ATT right? I may be able to work something out with them since I get my cell phone service from em already. I won't run into the problem of folks saying that such a PDA would interfere with medical equipment?

Nice. Cingular's now ATT right? I may be able to work something out with them since I get my cell phone service from em already. I won't run into the problem of folks saying that such a PDA would interfere with medical equipment?

nope, you can always turn the phone portion of the centro off (as required on flights and some wards)

and verizon will have a blue one soon

if you still love the palm OS (like me) then go with the centro - better price point and does everything

if you're done with all things Palm and ready to jump ship to WM, check out the at&t tilt - pretty slick device

I am not as tech savvy as many of you. However here are my two cents...

In the Navy we use the TX pretty solid piece of equipment. Downloads tons of stuff and sturdy.

I have a centro and it holds every thing I could ever need and is readily accessible. I just hate the tiny buttons.

I did have a windows based phone and it was slow as all get out...Just a fan of the palm devices.

Also, I think you mentioned or someone on here mentioned tons of FREE med programs for the centro...Please let me know where I can get those offers.

Thanks

first get isilo...

then check out medmeister.com - tons of docs there
you can also download the UCSF Hospitalist Handbook for isilo

search this forum for the best programs for palmOS

The Palm Centro doesn't have Wi-Fi if I'm not mistaken, and that could be a deal breaker. Sure you can access the internet, but can you access your hospital's intranet? That's a major use of medical PDA's.

Palm Centro requires Sprint access? You can't do another company? What's the cheapest plan someone could get for internet access? Too bad it doesn't have wi-fi too. After reading this thread, I'm leaning towards this choice...

Yeah my whole family is on T mobile and I want to stick with that.

The centro sounds great.

Anyone know anything about T-mobiles DASH smartphone?

I have absolutely ZERO experience with pda's and am technologically incompetent. I think I just need something for medical software (Epocrates probably). I really don't think I'd use it for anything else. Any ideas what I should get?

I've loved my Palm TX, which I've used for almost 3 years, but it has had a lot of problems. My touchscreen developed numerous dead spots within the first 6 months and it has become a pain to write/type anything in. I'm planning on sending it in for repairs (spent extra for an extended warranty), but I haven't yet steeled myself to live without it while it's being fixed. It's also been less stable than Palms have been known for in the past--I've had to do a full reformat & reinstall each program one by one (last time it took about 3 days to do this) about once a year. Otherwise, it would often reboot when I used the "search" functions, reboot when trying to open certain programs, etc.

In general, my dependence on my Palm has been more for ancillary/personal purposes rather than medical. It just isn't practical to turn it on, navigate to the right program, and find what I want in the middle of rounds. I do have a lot of textbooks on it, but it isn't comfortable reading on the little screen--it's easier to read off a computer screen. I originally thought the wireless ability would be crucial, but most of the hospitals I've rotated through don't have wireless on many of the wards. I've since thought that smartphones would resolve this problem as they don't depend on somebody having a wireless network. Patient information managers are useful in theory, but again, I've had so many problems with the touch screen, it's easier to write on a piece of paper.

That being said, I love it for personal purposes. I depend on my calendar, and it also syncs with an online calendar for my family members to check. I also have a little crossword program for those moments (ahem...lectures...) that could use a little attention supplement. There's this eBook program that lets me download electronic books that I borrow from the local library (don't even have to walk in!) that also helps fill in those 5-10 minutes when I am waiting in line for something. And, since the screen is lit up, I can read in bed while the significant other is trying to sleep. Other programs I use all the time - financial tracker, running log, automobile fuel mileage & repair log, mp3 player, movie player....

I was thinking of the TX so that I coud at least email family during in-house call. but maybe not if you are having this many problems

maybe centro is the way to go

first get isilo...

then check out medmeister.com - tons of docs there
you can also download the UCSF Hospitalist Handbook for isilo

search this forum for the best programs for palmOS

I can't find the UCSF hopitalist handbook anymore - I thought they took it down

If you want textbooks, medical programs, word/excel/ppt, calendar, contacts, email, web, bluetooth, IR beaming, touchscreen, watch movies, listen to mp3s, text messaging then you should really get Palm>Windows Mob. (Palm Centro is $99 and can do everything)

Palm centro is $99 after all the mail in rebates - but you are going to pay something like $499 up front

In the Navy we use the TX pretty solid piece of equipment. Downloads tons of stuff and sturdy.

I have a centro and it holds every thing I could ever need and is readily accessible. I just hate the tiny buttons.

I

Is centro windows based or palm os based.

The software I want is Epocrates, diagnosaurus, Johns Hopkins abx guide, and a hospitalist guide of some sort.