Best Pharmacy Organizations to join as a student

Started by Jurate1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jurate1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any recommendations for the best organizations to join as a P1. I would like to add this to my resume as well as hope to apply for some scholarships soon.
 
Jurate1 said:
Any recommendations for the best organizations to join as a P1. I would like to add this to my resume as well as hope to apply for some scholarships soon.

Just curious, aren't you by any chance a Lithuanian? Haven't met Lithuanians pharm. students yet...Your (nick)name sounds like one...
As far as organizations, APhA-ASP, I would say, for sure. Not so sure about frat. or sor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CAPSI, OPA, CSHP. I think CPhA is kinda a ripoff in terms of what you get and what they lobby for.
 
I'm going to join APhA - I might almost earn my dues back through book discounts. 🙂 And I like my chapter's immunization project so I'll get involved in that.

That's all I'm joining for at least the first semester. That leaves me flexibility to sign up for health fairs or other events as time allows.
 
I'm in my P1 year and I joined a few organizations. I know it seems like a lot but they really don't take up that much time. Join as much as you want - enjoy the experience!!!
 
I'm in my P1 year and I joined ASHP, APhA, and Kappa Epsilon. I'm also thinking about being our classes philanthropy chair. I know it seems like a lot but they really don't take up that much time. Join as much as you want - enjoy the experience!!!
i didn't know you all had a KE chapter yet....
 
Pardon my ignorance, but does joining organizations like this really help the resume? If so, in terms of what? If I were the employer, I personally would like to see candidates with real working experiences (and that's exactly what I plan to do w/ my "free time"). Maybe they're great for networking, but if so, any of those organizations include professionals as members & currently held events which involve them as well (rather than all-student members)?

It's been a while since I've been in school, so please enlighten me here 😀
 
Yeah we have KE and Kappa Psi. Didn't wanna join kappa psi so I went with KE. So far it's good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious, aren't you by any chance a Lithuanian? Haven't met Lithuanians pharm. students yet...Your (nick)name sounds like one...
As far as organizations, APhA-ASP, I would say, for sure. Not so sure about frat. or sor.

Latvian pharmacy student here.

I'm partial to ASHP and Kappa Psi.
 
Yeah we have KE and Kappa Psi. Didn't wanna join kappa psi so I went with KE. So far it's good.
oh that's weird...

ke's official website says its just a colony and not a chapter....

hmmmmmm......

i did see that south's kappa psi chapter had a great website though....

www.kydeltaomega.org if anyone is interested....

and it looks like their kappa psi is actually a chapter....
 
It's exciting joining a new group because you get to be involved kind of from the ground up so you get to set the standards of the future of the club. It's weird because the greek organizations are nothing like the undergrad ones. Maybe that's different at other schools though.
 
the amazing thing i noticed...

my class when we hit our 4th year and were having to do CVs...

those rho chi kids....

they were like....
wow... i've done rho chi...
but that's...
it...

wow...
this really looks pathetic....
my cv is only 2 pages.....

i guess i should have done more throughout school...
 
Pardon my ignorance, but does joining organizations like this really help the resume? If so, in terms of what? If I were the employer, I personally would like to see candidates with real working experiences (and that's exactly what I plan to do w/ my "free time").

You are absolutely right. Work experience is what matters. Do you honestly think employers really care that you are a member of APhA?
 
You are absolutely right. Work experience is what matters. Do you honestly think employers really care that you are a member of APhA?

You don't join APhA for your resume to look better, you join it for yourself - to explore your options better, to improve your clinical skills, just to found out about pharmacy more.
On the other hand, if you know you will be a graveyard pharmacist in CVS, you don't really need that:laugh:
 
How about "Try to study hard and get into Rho Chi later"???

stfu.jpg
 
I dont really think these organizations steal too much time. You can be as involved or uninvolved in them as you choose depending on how busy you are. I dont really know a lick about the actual business of pharmacy, except that it involves drugs, so Im joining to learn stuff, for the guest speakers and community service projects. Free food is good too, but Im sick of pizza already. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dont really think these organizations steal too much time. You can be as involved or uninvolved in them as you choose depending on how busy you are. I dont really know a lick about the actual business of pharmacy, except that it involves drugs, so Im joining to learn stuff, for the guest speakers and community service projects. Free food is good too, but Im sick of pizza already. 🙁

There are other options than Pizza. Demand better..
 
You don't join APhA for your resume to look better, you join it for yourself - to explore your options better, to improve your clinical skills, just to found out about pharmacy more.
On the other hand, if you know you will be a graveyard pharmacist in CVS, you don't really need that:laugh:

So, are any of the activities involved real working professionals rather than students meeting with each other? If you're looking for an experience outside the school, then to me, it only make sense that you meet with the real people who has been working out there. And to me, that kind of interaction can be found by working irl.
 
You are absolutely right. Work experience is what matters. Do you honestly think employers really care that you are a member of APhA?


It's all about how much you're willing to put into your profession and all about networking. Sure, you can go through pharmacy school being sheltered in your little community and not opening but there is a difference btw a pharmacist who goes and explores what is out there, than a one who doesn't get involved with anything.
 
It's all about how much you're willing to put into your profession and all about networking. Sure, you can go through pharmacy school being sheltered in your little community and not opening but there is a difference btw a pharmacist who goes and explores what is out there, than a one who doesn't get involved with anything.

You can explore all your heart desire. You can network by joining these little student clubs and I can network in the real world. I already know what I want.
 
You can explore all your heart desire. You can network by joining these little student clubs and I can network in the real world. I already know what I want.
wow...

this is like really enlightening and insightful! This maybe the best post ever in the history of the pharmacy forums! Thank you so much BME! We are all greatful for your posting time to help all of us out!
 
^^ Not everyone is as brilliant as you. Some need a reality check but thank you for pointing out the obvious.