Best Physiology textbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like people either recommend Guyton or Ganong because one is either more/less succinct or comprehensive. I'm leaning towards buying and putting my studies into Ganong's text but Guyton's seems more popular. Is it possible to find a textbook that is both to the point but also contains almost everything you wouldn't want to know?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want all the details, Boron and Boulpaep is really good. The figures are excellent.

But, for the purpose of medical school I think Costanzo's Physiology (the purple one) is the best thing going. Read this and then follow up with her BRS and you will be in great shape. There have been times when a professor gives us a physio lecture and makes things sound really complex, but then I read Costanzo and everything seems clear and simple. Highly recommend it.

Medical Physiology by Rhoades and Tanner is not bad at all. Goes into just enough detail for you to understand important concepts. I agree with the prior post about BRS physiology; i've heard from my friends that it is a great review source.

Good recommendations. I will certainly look into them. I thought BRS was very good as well--it made my physio course in undergrad a breeze.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about the others, but Guyton is a very easy read and explains things very well. they also have a pocket companion which is great.

If your school subscribes to MDConsult or AccessLange, there are physiology textbooks online to reference if you have questions.

300 said:
It seems like people either recommend Guyton or Ganong because one is either more/less succinct or comprehensive. I'm leaning towards buying and putting my studies into Ganong's text but Guyton's seems more popular. Is it possible to find a textbook that is both to the point but also contains almost everything you wouldn't want to know?

I have both Guyton and Costanzo (thanks to some generous upperclassmen friends) and I like them both. Costanzo is better on certain topics, and Guyton is better on others it seems. I also have the BRS book by Costanzo, and it's excellent. Overall, I have found that I look in Guyton more, but Costanzo would be worth having as a backup. You can very likely buy these used somewhere or from a student who doesn't need it anymore, so I'd recommend getting both if you can pick up the 2nd one for like $20 or something. Then again, my philosophy is "if you think you may need the book, buy the silly thing! It's only money and you'll make more. Eventually. Someday. If the first two years ever end." :)

Here's what I know, I looked at Costanzo and than Guyton both are great. I would prefer Costanzo for medical school the reason is it is easy to read and the material is concise. There is only a limited amount of time in medical school to learn but, remember Medicine is a dedication to a lifetime of learning. The book that I really prefer is Vander's Physiology but, they all have strengths and weakness. Vander also has a small book on Renal Physiology that in my opinion is the best introductory I've seen and heard of on renal physiology. There is also a book my ex-wife who is a physician, (although she's my ex-wife I love her and value her opinion greatly) used during medical school. In addition to the school recommended Textbooks in Anatomy and Physiology she used a excellent textbook for conceptual understanding in Anatomy and physiology which is Tortora and Grabowski, "Principles of Anatomy and Physiology." Also, remember get the books with the questions like Costanzo's Board Review Series (BRS), if you don't do the problems your not going to test your knowledge.

Here's my list for medical school physiology textbooks in order of preference.
1. Costanzo's book and her BRS review book.
2. Tided with Guyton and Hall and Vander's (my Preference is Vander's) also, if you get Guyton and Halls book in addition get the other book from them called Guyton and Halls Physiology Review.
3. Vander's Renal Physiology and West's Respiratory Physiology book.
4. Walter Boron & Emile Boulpaep. Medicine is a dedication to a lifetime of learning. I haven't read this book yet but, every person I've read recommends that this book is a great detailed book on Physiology but, states it's to difficult to read during medical school. I personally, am looking forward to the challenge in the future.

Good luck and never give up,
Tom TL

Last edited:
Even though I am a bit biased considering Costanzo is a faculty member at my school, her book really is pretty good and would highly recommend it. Fairly "Easy" read.