Best Physiology textbook ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Januine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one do you use/recommend?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Januine said:

Thanks.

I personally love Costanzo's Physiology, the purple book, not the BRS book. It's not totally in depth or anything, but I thought it made first year a lot more understandable and I went back to it during second year to remind me of what was what.

I second the purple Costanzo book. Material is well explained and offers just the right amount of depth for the preclinical years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Costanza's Physiology books as well - the textbook for first pass learning, and the BRS book for test review (and for board review now and later).

If you have taken physiology before or have decent lecturers and in-class material you can do just fine with the BRS book. If you're a textbook learner with other limited resources, get her actual textbook.

i agree with Amxcvbcv,

costanza's book is good for learning the material the first time and to solidify the concepts. I don't really like text books, so i didn't use this book as much as my other classmates. I mainly used my notes. BRS physio is very good, though not as detailed as costanza's, it's still very good and their questions are good practice. Plus BRS is a very good tool to study for USMLE step 1 physio section so it doesn't hurt to get familiar with it during 1st/2nd year.

dmitrinyr said:
i agree with Amxcvbcv,

costanza's book is good for learning the material the first time and to solidify the concepts. I don't really like text books, so i didn't use this book as much as my other classmates. I mainly used my notes. BRS physio is very good, though not as detailed as costanza's, it's still very good and their questions are good practice. Plus BRS is a very good tool to study for USMLE step 1 physio section so it doesn't hurt to get familiar with it during 1st/2nd year.

I agree with this. The only textbooks I bought in medschool are Netter's, Moore's, and Robbins. The rest are all review books, and they've served me well. I think textbooks go too much into detail about **** you'll never see again, but they are useful to clarify fuzzy parts in your lecture notes. Class notes should be good enough. BRS physiology is an excellent _review_ book. I probably wouldn't have passed GI without that book.

Januine said:

Thanks.

if you want to master physiology. i would say berne and levy or guyton medical physiology. i read berne and levy, it takes forever, but since my first year, physio i have greatly enjoyed and benefitted from the knowledge i got from such a text.

if you are a second year, you don't have time for a big text, i'd go w/ costanzo the text.

Joining the ranks in what seems to be the tenth thread this week on this exact topic. Costanzo. 'Nuff said.

I liked Costanzo. Then I used Boron on the side, but it's really detailed.

Constazo all the way :thumbup:
Except for the gastro and renal part. Most in my class used the book on those and the professor that tought those lectures just blew us away on the exams with details that were nowhere to be found on the book. Other than those two sections, the constanzo is pretty good.
The physiology BRS sucks.