Best Place to Volunteer in a Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moviefan1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these service areas would likely provide the best clinical experience? I volunteered in Cat scan already, and while it was interesting to see some procedures, I didn't really get to do much. I've heard that's how a lot of hospital volunteering is though.
http://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/OD?FROM=6291

Members don't see this ad.

Which of these service areas would likely provide the best clinical experience? I volunteered in Cat scan already, and while it was interesting to see some procedures, I didn't really get to do much. I've heard that's how a lot of hospital volunteering is though.

Child Life Program!!!!!!! You will interact with patients DIRECTLY. Trust me, this is the way you want to go.

I don't know anything specific about that program but the Emergency Dept looks pretty good. I completed a similar program and worked in 4 depts (pulmonary, orthopedics, labor and delivery, ER). The ER allowed me to see the most "stuff"....procedures, codes, etc. When you work on basic nursing floors, you are usually restricted to paperwork, stuffing charts, answering phones, cleaning rooms; limited contact with patients and you don't see many procedures.

Basically you should aim for something with direct patient contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer with child life on Sunday mornings at a hospital over an hour away. I thought that I would quit after the first week. But, when my alarm rings in the morning I actually don't mind getting out of bed. It is an awesome feeling to relieve the suffering of kids even if it's for just an hour by playing Wii with them. If you program is like mine, then you will directly deal with children on a daily basis. Transporting them, play with them bedside, playing with them in the child life room, and just talking to them.

I don't know anything specific about that program but the Emergency Dept looks pretty good. I completed a similar program and worked in 4 depts (pulmonary, orthopedics, labor and delivery, ER). The ER allowed me to see the most "stuff"....procedures, codes, etc. When you work on basic nursing floors, you are usually restricted to paperwork, stuffing charts, answering phones, cleaning rooms; limited contact with patients and you don't see many procedures.

Basically you should aim for something with direct patient contact.
I also give support for the ER, I'm volunteering there now and though I don't do a whole lot, I've been able to see a ton of things...both crazy and mundane. It seems like a pretty good experience if you want a general feel or idea of what the hospital is like and what the staff deal with.

Pediatrics might be nice too, if you get to play with the kids. I was hoping to get a chance to volunteer in that area sometime.

None of the above. RUN from the hospital and go find somewhere like a free clinic where you'll get more pt care experience. That said, some hospital volunteering or work might be nice for a bit (but it sounds like you've already done that). Individual depts will vary by hospital as to the volunteering experience. Where I am now, I rarely see our ED volunteers do much of anything. At the hospital where I used to be a tech, our ED volunteers were sometimes even asked to do v/s (although I'm told that has been stopped by the Administration).

Last edited:
None of the above. RUN from the hospital and go find somewhere like a free clinic where you'll get more pt care experience. That said, some hospital volunteering or work might be nice for a bit (but it sounds like you've already done that). Individual depts will vary by hospital as to the volunteering experience. Where I am now, I rarely see our ED volunteers do much of anything. At the hospital where I used to be a tech, our ED volunteers were sometimes even asked to do volunteers (although I'm told that has been stopped by the Administration).

:confused:/:eek:

Child Life Program!!!!!!! You will interact with patients DIRECTLY. Trust me, this is the way you want to go.

+100. This is by far the way to go. You get to hang out and act like a kid all the time, who wouldn't find that way more fun than restocking carts in the ED? Also, even if you have a heart of stone, you'll still take a lot away from the experience and have some great material to write secondaries. Peds>>everything else in my opinion :)

None of the above. RUN from the hospital and go find somewhere like a free clinic where you'll get more pt care experience. That said, some hospital volunteering or work might be nice for a bit (but it sounds like you've already done that). Individual depts will vary by hospital as to the volunteering experience. Where I am now, I rarely see our ED volunteers do much of anything. At the hospital where I used to be a tech, our ED volunteers were sometimes even asked to do v/s (although I'm told that has been stopped by the Administration).

+1

I volunteer at a large free clinic, and 95% of my duties include direct patient contact (blood pressure, pulse, temperature, glucose readings, venous blood draws). It's a good opportunity to experience the patient-caregiver interaction directly, perform some basic medical measurements, and serve the community all at the same time. Can't recommend highly enough.

My assigned task was to call patients a few days before a scheduled surgery. I would ask them some standard questions and record their answers on a form, which would then be entered into their medical records. Even though I always explained that I was "just a volunteer" calling to get some basic information, some patients would still ask me questions. Some people would get angry when I explained that I was not qualified to answer their questions but could find someone who was. Others were friendly, polite, and appreciative. I often had to think quickly in order to respond appropriately, professionally, and respectfully to various questions and statements. I was able to be helpful by efficiently finding an appropriate staff member (e.g., a translator, a doctor, a billing person, etc.) who would be able to address a specific concern or answer a specific question.

Some of the other volunteers in the office thought "cold calling" was stressful and unnerving, but I was happy to have the opportunity to practice talking to people in a professional, considerate, efficient manner, even when they were angry or scared or confused or emotional. Although it was often challenging, it was rewarding to know that I could remain calm and be compassionate when patients got angry or yelled or behaved strangely. I found the experience of volunteering in an ED in an urban hospital to be similarly challenging and rewarding, but I probably learned more in the admitting office than in the ED. As a volunteer in the ED, I always expected patients and their family members to be at their worst (they were experiencing an emergency situation), and I could prepare myself. Volunteering in the admitting office was different in the sense that I never could know what to expect before I made a call. Also, because I look young but sound relatively old on the phone, I think patients were more likely to try to engage me in a serious conversation on the phone than face-to-face. In many ways, the admitting volunteer position was more challenging and provided more opportunities to develop and practice skills than the ED position.

Sounds like you had a great time. I worked a similar volunteer position at a political campaign office and loved cold calling too. I got a lot of angry responses, but it was fun convincing people to vote for the candidate I was volunteering for.

Is there a way you can ask to specifically volunteer to make calls or volunteer in the ED?

Sounds like you had a great time. I worked a similar volunteer position at a political campaign office and loved cold calling too. I got a lot of angry responses, but it was fun convincing people to vote for the candidate I was volunteering for.

Is there a way you can ask to specifically volunteer to make calls or volunteer in the ED?

Sure...probably on the volunteer app or in the interview. It varies.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys volunteer for Child Care? Like I am a high school senior (turn 18 soon), and would like to volunteer in a hospital in the Emergency dept. What do I do? My mom volunteers in the hospital but she doesn't do anything fun

IMO, Hospital volunteering is not worth it. I did 50 hrs of it in Tele dept and just fed up with pouring water, cleaning and pass out snack :/

I agree with finding a free clinic etc around your area. Unfortunately there isn't any around my area so I'm currently volunteering in an inpatient detox center. I'm taking vitals and helping the nurses out with things. More fun and educating and than the hospital.

This volunteer opportunity is offered at my hospital, it's from 9 pm til 12. Thoughts?

EC Area Volunteer

Qualifications:
Walk long distances
Prolonged standing
Push patients in wheelchairs and stretchers
Lift over 10 lbs
Follow directions from EC staff
Self starter, motivated
Excellent communication skills

Duties and Responsibilities:
Transport patients to various areas in hospital
Communicate with families
Keep EC area clean
Retrieve EC equipment
Stock patient rooms

I don't mind working this late as my morning class isn't until 10 am. Plus I could schedule it after I do my volunteer work in radiology.

This volunteer opportunity is offered at my hospital, it's from 9 pm til 12. Thoughts?

EC Area Volunteer

Qualifications:
Walk long distances
Prolonged standing
Push patients in wheelchairs and stretchers
Lift over 10 lbs
Follow directions from EC staff
Self starter, motivated
Excellent communication skills

Duties and Responsibilities:
Transport patients to various areas in hospital
Communicate with families
Keep EC area clean
Retrieve EC equipment
Stock patient rooms

I don't mind working this late as my morning class isn't until 10 am. Plus I could schedule it after I do my volunteer work in radiology.

The qualifications are pretty low...you basically have to be a human with arms and a brain.

The responsibilities worry me a little. If you want clinical experience, then I would ask someone who has had that position (at your hospital). It sounds like you will be doing mostly clerical stuff.

The qualifications are pretty low...you basically have to be a human with arms and a brain.

The responsibilities worry me a little. If you want clinical experience, then I would ask someone who has had that position (at your hospital). It sounds like you will be doing mostly clerical stuff.

After I do my work in rad, I'm going to just head down to the EC and ask around and get a scope on what to expect. The EC always seems very busy at my hospital and who knows it could be worthwhile.

IMO, Hospital volunteering is not worth it. I did 50 hrs of it in Tele dept and just fed up with pouring water, cleaning and pass out snack :/

I agree with finding a free clinic etc around your area. Unfortunately there isn't any around my area so I'm currently volunteering in an inpatient detox center. I'm taking vitals and helping the nurses out with things. More fun and educating and than the hospital.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm totally not "above" doing clerical work (when I was unemployed in 2010, I applied all over the hospital to become a Unit Secretary); but I think it's hive-minded to think that doing clerical work for free in a minimum-wage uniform is a useful introduction to medicine.

I say this a lot. Looking to life experience that seemed more valuable than getting vending machine Cheetos for nurses and shuffling papers I'm not allowed to read, I tend to support my statement in part by saying that I felt growing up with a trauma surgeon and nurse as parents, actually watching my dad perform surgeries (even if he's my father, which maybe seems nepotistic, as "shadowing" opportunities go), was much more indicative of what life as a doctor might be like than the obligatory volunteering.

We're supposed to be smart people. I just don't see why no one calls bull**** on this myth than volunteering is 100% useful. (Although my hospital may be more reserved in what volunteers are allowed to help with or observe.) To me, it just seems like an arbitrary but rhetorically supportable hoop to jump through.

6lhb.jpg

For me volunteering in emergency x-ray allowed me to see the most things...I literally only pushed around the portable x-ray rooms from room to room, but in the emergency room I got to see patients right as they came in the emergency rooms.

In the emergency rooms, all I did were clean beds, push beds into the waiting area where they are ready to be used, and occasionally push a patient to his or her respective waiting room.

Some hospitals let volunteers do patient transport. If yours does, that is a great option. I know at the hospital where I work, volunteers do basically nothing, for liability reasons.

If the ED gets enough traffic, you might be able to rubberneck on some pretty interesting cases. Plus you never know what kind of pre-existing pathology is with a trauma pt.

Clinical Care Extender program

You get to rotate through various patient care departments, including ER, L&D, Radiology, Cath Lab, OR...you sped 3 month in each, its a great experience as you get a hands on patient contact and get to shadow doctors on the floor.

I'm not sure if there is a branch of CCE program in your area, but you can look it up.

If you plan on going into surgery, I recommend volunteering in pre-op, post-op, or the or itself if you can swing it.

I was able to view lots of surgeries as a high school student. All of the OR staff were wonderful in explaining not only why the patient was there but what they were doing to help them...step by step. They answered my questions and gave me tips for the future.

Since I was a post-op volunteer, I got lots of hands-on experience with the patients. The nurses made sure of that. Of course there are many things you are limited to as a volunteer, but the things you can do are still wonderful.

I just applied to volunteer at a hospital nearby and hope that I can find some way back into the OR lol.

I'm volunteering at day surgery right now, I'm basically there after the nurses leave (since they're not full time) and I run the front desk there. I take patient calls, direct families to patient rooms, help patients sign in/out, and direct incoming patients to doctors. Although most of my time spent is office work, (folding clothes, making surgery inventory bags, and filing paperwork.) everyday brings something different. Like last time a woman came in who needed a catheter removed, no doctors or nurses around so I had to improvise to get her where she needed to go.

Additionally it's always fun getting to look into medical stuff, like documenting patient ECGs.

I'm not sure if any of this qualifies as clinical experience, but seriously no two days are the same and that's why I enjoy day surgery.

EDIT: I haven't been able to view surgeries and I don't think I'm going to be able to, so if you're interested in actually getting into the OR, you might want to consider emergency surgery or something that has you close to the doctors.

I've volunteered in both the ED at a major academic center, and at a small, nonprofit primary care clinic that serves the refugee population here in Denver, Colorado.

While they provided a nice contrast, volunteering in the small clinic was infinitely more rewarding. At a small place like that, you get a lot more responsibilities, and you begin to learn the business of keeping a clinic open that serves primarily Medicaid patients.

The patient population is incredibly interesting (patients having arrived weeks prior from Burma, Nepal, Eritrea, etc.) and you get to see how hard culturally sensitive primary care is. It's great that the above will not just be a buzzword to me when I go into interview to talk about it.

For the reward and the perspective, I think that's the way to go. No beef against the ED, I've had a great time there as well, but it was more challenging to find meaningful work to do.

Of course, there are lots of excellent opportunities out there. If it sounds interesting, take the dive and go for it! You'll have a great story as a reward for your sense of adventure :)

I volunteer with child life on Sunday mornings at a hospital over an hour away. I thought that I would quit after the first week. But, when my alarm rings in the morning I actually don't mind getting out of bed. It is an awesome feeling to relieve the suffering of kids even if it's for just an hour by playing Wii with them. If you program is like mine, then you will directly deal with children on a daily basis. Transporting them, play with them bedside, playing with them in the child life room, and just talking to them.

I second this. I volunteer with child life as well and It's a great experience.