Best Place to Work as a Technician?

Started by PA_dud3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I'll be attending Wingate University this fall and will be majoring in Pre-Pharmacy, however, I had a question about finding employment as a technician near my school in order to gain more experience towards Pharmacy School.

I've spent all my time as a tech working at an independent in a very small town, I am certified and will have about a year of experience when I leave for college. There are several pharmacies near where I'll be going to school at, however I'm not sure which one would be best in terms of enjoyment and experience to gain. Mostly, there are chains and a couple hospitals. Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS for the most part, a few independents. And one CVS seems to be in a smaller town while all the others are in a busier town/city. I don't have any experience in sterile compounding, but I think that I might enjoy hospital work, I really enjoy non-sterile compounding.

If you knew you were going to pharmacy school in six years and wanted to work as a technician, where would be the best place to work, in your opinion? Apologies in advance for the really specific question, I just don't have much experience outside of my specific location at the moment.

Thank you for your help!

Dd3
 
Hey @Doktor_dud3! Like most careers, you generally will find the "best" place to work after you've been exposed to various settings. What's best in my opinion might not be what you find comfortable in. I think you mentioned some great places including community, independent, compounding, and hospital pharmacies. Those are definitely great places to start!

A good way to gauge which might be the best for you is to read the job description. It may list the responsibilities and you can choose based off of what you're comfortable with doing, the schedule of the job, any particular interests you'd like to pursue, etc. You mentioned you may like non-sterile compounding. In that case, you might find a compounding pharmacy, a pharmacy distribution site, or hospital pharmacy to be suited to your tastes.

I hope this helps! 🙂