Best post-bacc program for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PhiPhenomenon

Hey,

I'm looking for advice on which post-bacc program I should apply to. I'm currently in PA and just earned a degree (a semester early if that means anything) in Psychology from a state school in AZ. My AMCAS GPA is everything short of stellar (3.1, but with a significant upward trend, 2.6-3.75) and my sGPA is borderline non-existant (3.0 from 2 classes). Right now I'm investigating VCU, HES, and Penn. The current plan is to ace the pre-reqs (thankfully I have not taken any), get my GPA up to 3.4 (and an sGPA of 3.8) and apply to an SMP later. I just wanted some feed back as to which route I should go because I am leaning pretty heavily to the Harvard Extension school, mostly for the economic and endorsement aspect.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard good things about Harvard Extension. If you ace your prereqs and MCAT you should not need an SMP. And don't forget volunteering and shadowing...

I've definitely been working on the clinical and volunteer part of my app (I'm actually working at a psychiatric hospital right now).

But what makes you so sure that acing the post-bacc would give me a decent shot at matriculation? I know a great MCAT can make up for a 3.4 and my sGPA is going to be killer when I'm done (3.8 that's my attitude and I'm sticking to it) but everyone I talk to says that the mediocre cGPA is an huge deal breaker.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from California and these are the schools I've been looking into. If you're looking for post-bacc work at Hardvard, the following may be somewhat "second tier" comparitively:

CSU Fullerton:
Fullerton has a formal post-bac that accepts 30 students per semester. Each class takes their pre-reques in a cohort structure. The most attractive feature is their linkage program to two medical schools (A D.O. school somewhere in the state of Washington and an M.D. school out in D.C.). They average an 85% acceptance rate medical, pharm, and vet schools

Scripps:
Scripps is a HUGE biomedical company/hospital here in San Diego. This program is more competititve. I believe they accept 14 applicants a year (about 100 apply) and requie a minimum GRE score of 1200. They enjoy a 99% acceptance rate to medical schools. It is known that the academic load is intense, making EC's more difficult to obtain.

Universities of California,
These are great i hear--if you have had an economically or socially challenged upbringing. They are also informal programs and perhaps lack the "sheparding" that the above schools enjoy.

Hope this helps a bit,
Hume

Since you are already in PA, LECOM-Erie has a great post-bacc program (I did 1/2 yr of it). Its basically mini medical school. They pretty much guarantee medical school admission if you do well there. The post bacc is 4 evenings a week 6-9pm which is nice if you want to work during the day time. Its expensive but worth the time.

I'm from California and these are the schools I've been looking into. If you're looking for post-bacc work at Hardvard, the following may be somewhat "second tier" comparitively:

Scripps:
Scripps is a HUGE biomedical company/hospital here in San Diego. This program is more competititve. I believe they accept 14 applicants a year (about 100 apply) and requie a minimum GRE score of 1200. They enjoy a 99% acceptance rate to medical schools. It is known that the academic load is intense, making EC's more difficult to obtain.

Harvard is not a top tier postbac, Scripps is. Scripps is also not in San Diego. Scripps Research Institute is in San Diego. Scripps College, where the postbac program is, is in Claremont, CA, which is an eastern suburb of LA. 100% of students who finished the program since 2002 have been accepted into medical/professional school (some students did dental, veterinary, etc) The academic load is harder than many programs because all of the prereqs are done in one year, but if you do the one year program you're required to do a volunteering/clinical research internship.