Best Products for Life in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbean

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted a place to post the best products/services for getting through this crazy training we have all entered:

1) Home Delivery of Groceries - a precious time saver!

2) Nuvaring - birth control with minimal hassle

3) www.footsmart.com - pressure stockings to prevent varicose/spider veins

4) L'Oreal Sublime face and skin moisturizer with gradual tint - hides your "hospital tan", smells good and doesn't cost a fortune.

5)L'Oreal Excellence Color Creme Hair Color - for those stubborn greys - can be done at home in 30-45 minutes, costs only $9 - affordable and doable on a residency salary!

6) Accutane - did this during my second year of residency and cannot emphasize how much it changed my skin! I have had one small pimple in 11 months. Cannot do it if you are going to be pregnant though...

7) Crocs - although despicably ugly, these shoes guarantee that your feet won't hurt after 30 hours on your feet.

8) "Big Hair" scrub caps from www.sparklingearth.com - let you have long hair and properly cover it without the "bouffant" look.

9) Automatic Bill Pay - enough said

10) Unlimited text messaging on your cell phone

Other suggestions?!

Members don't see this ad.

the venus breeze. no need to use shaving cream

Just a side note on #2, the Nuva ring. My very close friend suffered a massive stroke on Halloween 2007 and doctor's think it was from the Nuva ring. She was only 22 with medical school dreams, was extremely physically fit, didn't smoke, and just an all around great person. Hormonal birth control methods of all types increase the risk of stroke, but after doing some research, it seems there may be more risk linked to the Nuva ring in particular. If you're interested in reading stories from family and friends whose loved ones have had strokes, embolism, death from the Nuva ring, visit http://www.topix.net/forum/drug/TSEMEFN6EBEM3OE64

"NuvaRing is considered a third generation contraceptive containing the synthetic hormone desogestrel. Over a dozen studies have indicated that contraceptives containing desogestrel, like Nuva Ring, were associated with a higher risk of blood clots in women when compared to second generation contraceptives which used different forms of the hormone progestin." source- http://nuvaringsideeffects.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
1. gum and chocolate in the pocket of your coat for call nights
2. dansos (yes, ugly, but seriously saves your feet and back)
3. professional clothes that do not require dry cleaning
4. friends and family who ARE in medicine
5. friends and family who are NOT in medicine
6. a local bar within walking distance

Just a side note on #2, the Nuva ring. My very close friend suffered a massive stroke on Halloween 2007 and doctor's think it was from the Nuva ring. She was only 22 with medical school dreams, was extremely physically fit, didn't smoke, and just an all around great person. Hormonal birth control methods of all types increase the risk of stroke, but after doing some research, it seems there may be more risk linked to the Nuva ring in particular. If you're interested in reading stories from family and friends whose loved ones have had strokes, embolism, death from the Nuva ring, visit http://www.topix.net/forum/drug/TSEMEFN6EBEM3OE64

"NuvaRing is considered a third generation contraceptive containing the synthetic hormone desogestrel. Over a dozen studies have indicated that contraceptives containing desogestrel, like Nuva Ring, were associated with a higher risk of blood clots in women when compared to second generation contraceptives which used different forms of the hormone progestin." source- http://nuvaringsideeffects.com/
Also, myself and 2 of my friends have had negative mood swings/effects (aligned of depressive episodes) that could be tied with starting the nuvaring. Knowing what I know now I would NOT recommend that product to anyone. Same thing goes with the patch but I hope that everyone already knows that one!!!!

I do much prepared on all natural health products because of the effectiveness to our health.

For those in a monogamous relationship, I would recommend an IUD. It is nice to have spontaneous moments without worrying about daily meds (or the side effects, hormones+me=not a good combo) or fumbling around for a condom. Before I got my IUD I used a diaphragm, which I also liked since you could leave it in for a while before getting it on (although did require some forethought, but maybe you could consider it foreplay).

I know some people find this gross, but the Divacup/Moon Cup are good to have too.

I'm just a pre-med, yes, but I was talking to some doctors and nurses when I was volunteering at a surgery center, and it's nice to have if a long shift or call happens during your period (don't need to run to the bathroom every few hours to change a pad/tampon...it only needs to be cleaned every 8-12 hours). And it's ecologically friendly!

Also...long-wear contacts! The brand I use only needs changing once a month.

great thread! icna't think of anything else to add, though, except perhaps a great concealer and a mini-bottle of a subtle smelling BBW fragrance. just ONE lil spritz and cover up any hyperpigmented scars and BAM - fresh new chick in the AM. i always have them in my on call bag for "the morning after". my favorite team quote in teh mroning after a long crazy night and i'm DEAD tired is, "whoa - you don't *look* like you were on call?!" makes me smile.

Also, myself and 2 of my friends have had negative mood swings/effects (aligned of depressive episodes) that could be tied with starting the nuvaring. Knowing what I know now I would NOT recommend that product to anyone. Same thing goes with the patch but I hope that everyone already knows that one!!!!

Same here! I tried out the ring for a few months, but the mood swings were awful. Had to switch back to a monophasic pill.