SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Encountering less supportive women in Medicine

Discussion in 'Women in Healthcare' started by Anxietyfreak, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:14 PM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Anxietyfreak

Anxietyfreak

Dec 1, 2017
    Currently a third year, female, med student and have noticed female attendings tend to be less supportive towards other female students/residents, including myself. Obviously that's not the case with every female attending-I've met great ones too but the general trend I've noticed is they were particularly harsh towards female students as opposed to the male students. The male attendings however, from my experience have been supportive and more willing to teach, allowing me to engage in procedures, etc. I guess I was just expecting more support/encouragement from the female docs, is this normal?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 9:20 PM
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. scribedbyme

scribedbyme

Oct 20, 2017
    I have worked full time in a teaching hospital for the last 3 years and I can't say I've noticed this trend, but they may feel that they have to prove themselves. It may be because they feel that they need to prove themselves and prove that they aren't "soft" or because they were treated the same way your feeling and need to put up a tough front. It sucks that this happens, but try to be gracious and understanding and maybe try to ask them questions when they're not in front of a group, you may get a better response and get great learning opportunities.

CUatthefinishline likes this.
  4. sb247

sb247 wait...you mean I got in? 5+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Galt's Gulch
    It may be that the males are far more afraid of looking like they are mean to the female students.....

5. mvenus929

mvenus929 Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    MDApps:
    What specialty?