Best Question Bank for Pain Medicine Board Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeslaCoil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I don't want to get lost in a lot of resources for board prep. So far have been reading Benzon's essentials of pain. Im looking for the best single question bank to use. Also, if it exists, a single concise review book to use for board prep. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Board Vitals is the single best. take notes on the explanations. Do the qbank twice.. Do you incorrect questions x3. You will easily pass.

Distantly followed by Huntoon's Pain Medicine Board Review (physical book of questions/qbank).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Board Vitals is the single best. take notes on the explanations. Do the qbank twice.. Do you incorrect questions x3. You will easily pass.

Distantly followed by Huntoon's Pain Medicine Board Review (physical book of questions/qbank).

i am sure the writer of the board vitals Q bank would be very pleased to hear that

I did bv and passmachine and, tbh I was surprised at how low yield they were.

They were helpful to me because they touched on a lot of topics in an engaging way and the explanations and f/u reading filled in some gaps.

Reactions: 1 user
Board Vitals is low yield but very educational and worthwhile. I found the Huntoon pain book to be excellent and representative of the actual exam.

Last edited:
Board Vitals is low yield but very educational and worthwhile. I found the Huntoon pain book to be excellent and representative of the actual exam.

Huntoon's chapters on actual pain medicine topics were great and high yield. But half the book was psychology, stats, or about prescribing opioids in Africa. Probably 10 chapters were irrelevant, but the actual pain chapters were very good (~15 chapters).

Has anyone used a QBank for the ABIPP exam? I have their question book around here somewhere,, but haven't gotten around to seriously looking at it.

To ask a related question, any book/resource recommendation to read BEFORE starting fellowship?

To ask a related question, any book/resource recommendation to read BEFORE starting fellowship?

lot of options. benzon, staats, deer aapm book, fenton, furman

depends on your base specialty

furman atlas would be really good to have

I did the Board Vitals Qbank through fellowship and then did “The Pass Machine” qbank and lectures before the actual exam after fellowship. I think the BV qbank is much better than the pass machine q bank. The pass machine lectures were pretty good though. I don’t have any experience with the Huntoon book.

I did BoardVitals x2 and listened to the Dannemiller lectures in my car during my work commute. Passed comfortably. Good luck!

What section of the huntoon book would you say was the most helpful or the most high yield?

Huntoon's chapters on actual pain medicine topics were great and high yield. But half the book was psychology, stats, or about prescribing opioids in Africa. Probably 10 chapters were irrelevant, but the actual pain chapters were very good (~15 chapters).
What section of the huntoon book would you say was the most helpful or the most high yield?

would you all believe that I wrote most of the BV Pain and PM&R Qbank questions? :X3:

during my last months as a pgy4.

I wrote most of them at least. not sure who (neurologist likely) wrote those really tough headache questions.

It paid for my move from residency to fellowship