Best Response for a C2 Stock Check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DailyDaisies

Incoming Pharmacy Student for the Class of 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone ever get calls from patients asking for a C2 “stock check?” Every single time I get this question I get nervous because I’m not sure how to respond, especially since I have been through a robbery regarding C2s within the last year.

What would you say?

Members don't see this ad.

If it’s another pharmacy, we would “screen” the call to see what kind of script it was.. my RxM didn’t want to fill just controls.. (we had a policy to not fill outside of a 15 Mile radius and the only exception is if we called the md office and documented everything on the Rx (Dx, etc)

If it was a patient, we would say that we don’t give that information out over the phone..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
If it’s another pharmacy, we would “screen” the call to see what kind of script it was.. my RxM didn’t want to fill just controls.. (we had a policy to not fill outside of a 15 Mile radius and the only exception is if we called the md office and documented everything on the Rx (Dx, etc)

If it was a patient, we would say that we don’t give that information out over the phone..

Has the patient ever gotten angry with that response? If so, how did you handle it then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has the patient ever gotten angry with that response? If so, how did you handle it then?

Some patients do out of frustration because everyone was out of it.. some do because they are calling for a “friend”..

Majority of them are very understanding though..

If it’s one of our regulars - I have no problem giving them that info out..

We just blame it on our store policy..

Reactions: 1 users
My facility's outpatient pharmacy will ask for the quantity and if it's a reasonable amount that they have in stock (like 90 or so) they'll say "looks like that's all I have is 90, you'll get whatever I have left".

I see so many of these "How do I learn how to be a competent human adult?
Can you teach me how to handle personal conflict?" questions on here disguised as pharmacy questions.

Nobody can teach you how to have guts when dealing with people, OP.
You should've learned that on the playground.

However, it's not too late to learn to stand your ground.
You should always ask yourself, "what could actually happen as a result of this confrontation?"

If the answer is "no physical harm could possibly come to me" then the individual has no leverage.

Reactions: 2 users
You should always ask yourself, "what could actually happen as a result of this confrontation?"

If the answer is "no physical harm could possibly come to me" then the individual has no leverage.

Do you work in the retail setting?

The reason I ask is that I worked with a RPh that would say “I don’t have it” when he thought a prescription was forged or if he thought it was too soon to fill it.

For fake prescriptions; he would say “if you call the cops and they arrest him/her; then they will sit in jail with your name / face associated with why they are there.. they have a lot of “free time” to come up with a play to get you back for putting them in jail...” so his go to line was always “I don’t have it in stock” or “it’s on back order” or “I have hit my quota for the month”..

If it's for a pain medication and they aren't a regular at my store I tell them we don't give that information out over the phone for safety reasons.

Reactions: 4 users
WM updated their policy to prohibit answering control stock check questions over the phone. At least if the person shows up at drop off there is a decent camera view of that encounter.

We aren't dispensing cotton candy. I couldn't give a **** if some customer complains about that policy.

Saying OOS just to get rid of someone you won't ever fill for is problematic in case the BOP investigates that encounter where you claimed OOS when it wasn't (they will check invoices, on-hands on that date) or they'll come back to check later because it "could" be in stock later.

Do you work in the retail setting?

The reason I ask is that I worked with a RPh that would say “I don’t have it” when he thought a prescription was forged or if he thought it was too soon to fill it.

For fake prescriptions; he would say “if you call the cops and they arrest him/her; then they will sit in jail with your name / face associated with why they are there.. they have a lot of “free time” to come up with a play to get you back for putting them in jail...” so his go to line was always “I don’t have it in stock” or “it’s on back order” or “I have hit my quota for the month”..

Yes, I do.

A lot of pharmacists do that kind of thing.

I've got too much integrity for that kinda thing.

Saying OOS just to get rid of someone you won't ever fill for is problematic in case the BOP investigates that encounter where you claimed OOS when it wasn't (they will check invoices, on-hands on that date) or they'll come back to check later because it "could" be in stock later.

Not saying it's the right thing to do but the bop investigating would be a hard thing to nail you for. "Um. I must have looked at the wrong strength, didn't scroll down enough, I accidentally looked for the capsules and not the tabs etc. Unless you have a dozen of oos complaints there's no way you're getting cited.

I just tell non-regulars I don't verify over the phone. If it's an issue of legitimacy just say you need to call the doctor and most will leave anyways

In California these complaints are usually a pretext to conduct an audit, like if you refused to sell insulin syringes or some crazy idiot complained you shorted them narcs for 12 months yet they keep coming to your pharmacy so it is in your best interest to be upfront with narc seekers and get rid of your bat**** crazy pts

I won't give any controlled information over the phone. My stock answer is, "We try to keep most medications in stock, but if something is unavailable we are happy to order it for you." I usually never have problems, I will answer for other pharmacies in the chain asking, as I expect the same courtesy from them. Basically, decide how you want to run your pharmacy and run it that way. If a higher up has problems with it and you can't sit down and work on a compromise, it's time to leave.

As for the BoP, you're under no obligation to fill any prescription you feel uncomfortable filling, so why lie, just follow the procedure to deny a patient and make sure you're keeping your integrity and following the same procedures regardless of who the patient is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming your employer doesn't already have a policy, they you should make a policy for yourself and then follow it (ie only giving information to people who've filled in the pharmacy before, or deciding not to give any information to anyone.)

Honestly, if it's someone looking for Norco, whatever, they can just come in the store. If it's someone looking for B&O suppositories, it's reasonable to suppose that they really don't want to drive to 25 different pharmacies to find it, hence their call.

Assuming your employer doesn't already have a policy, they you should make a policy for yourself and then follow it (ie only giving information to people who've filled in the pharmacy before, or deciding not to give any information to anyone.)

Honestly, if it's someone looking for Norco, whatever, they can just come in the store. If it's someone looking for B&O suppositories, it's reasonable to suppose that they really don't want to drive to 25 different pharmacies to find it, hence their call.

I can count on one hand the number of times I was called to ask about a noncontrol being in stock. I would hope that information would be free given out.

I used to say: "If I don't have enough, I can have it ordered in for tomorrow if you can get the prescription here before my order releases at XX:XX O'Clock" rather than bother to check counts for patients that I don't know. For patients that I did, I'd say the 3 day QS rule if I liked them, otherwise, the former. If that wasn't sufficient, they could find another pharmacy.

I don't have to lie, but I don't necessarily feel obligated to give information either. It's contextual.

For noncontrols, if it's my fellow practitioner (especially if it was the hospital trying to discharge a patient and they don't want that patient floating around), I'd be very clear about it and check for patient courtesy. Ordinarily was for LMWH's, antibiotics, or mental health drugs (wouldn't want this guy to go without Zyprexa) and the question was always framed "do you at least have enough for three days to get this patient started" which are legitimate stock checks and legitimate reasons to ask for at least a specific quantity.

Again, you can use your head; you are paid to think at some basic level despite the increasing levels of corporate brainwashing, I mean policy compliance.

Last edited:
I see so many of these "How do I learn how to be a competent human adult?
Can you teach me how to handle personal conflict?" questions on here disguised as pharmacy questions.

Nobody can teach you how to have guts when dealing with people, OP.
You should've learned that on the playground.

My pharmacy isn't located in the safest of neighborhoods. Plus the fact it went through 4 robberies and burglaries within a month makes me worried about suspicious controlled medication questions, not incompetent (or so you implied). Fortunately, my company has increased security and the incidences have since declined.
I hope you understand I already had a default response already. I was just looking for ways to improve upon it. So to say I could possibly have no guts is completely incorrect.

And even if I ask myself, "what could actually happen as a result of this confrontation?" And the answer is "'no physical harm could possibly come to me,' then the individual has no leverage." It does not eliminate possible physical harm in the future. Afterall, they know where I work.

I can count on one hand the number of times I was called to ask about a noncontrol being in stock. I would hope that information would be free given out.
We can safely give out information regarding non-controlled medication. It's when the medication is controlled that makes it more difficult.

In California these complaints are usually a pretext to conduct an audit, like if you refused to sell insulin syringes or some crazy idiot complained you shorted them narcs for 12 months yet they keep coming to your pharmacy so it is in your best interest to be upfront with narc seekers and get rid of your bat**** crazy pts
Usually, it's a patient who calls in for a "controlled medication stock check," followed with, "is it ___ brand? Because that one tastes the best." I'm sure auditors wouldn't ask such a question.

My pharmacy isn't located in the safest of neighborhoods. Plus the fact it went through 4 robberies and burglaries within a month makes me worried about suspicious controlled medication questions, not incompetent (or so you implied). Fortunately, my company has increased security and the incidences have since declined.
I hope you understand I already had a default response already. I was just looking for ways to improve upon it. So to say I could possibly have no guts is completely incorrect.

And even if I ask myself, "what could actually happen as a result of this confrontation?" And the answer is "'no physical harm could possibly come to me,' then the individual has no leverage." It does not eliminate possible physical harm in the future. Afterall, they know where I work.

Yeah, I guess I see the world differently since I'm a large male and I have a... security item.

As other posters have suggested, I would check company policy. At Walgreens years ago there were an inordinate amount of my robberies (usually overnights). My pharmacy supervisor sent out a district wide email telling stores that had to release their stock info saying that they could not lose sales. Shortly after corporate sent out their own email stating not release this information as the robbers would come in and take the drugs someone had just asked for stock checks on.

I would tell people who called only that if they brought the prescription in I would help them out. I would only give stock info out to employees of the ER, other RPhs. I knew who these people were and their voices (before caller id). What's the emergency anyway? If I don't have it I can order it- CSOS is next day service. I also told everyone the same thing.

You are right to be concerned.

???? I'm not sure why you brought up non-controls? I mentioned Norco vs B&O suppositories....both are CII's. Obviously, most pharmacies have Norco, so it doesn't make sense to call around asking for a stock check (of course, the stock check is always for a specific mfg.) On the other hand, it would make sense for someone to call around looking for B&O suppositories, because it is going to be luck of the draw finding a pharmacy that has them in stock.

???? I'm not sure why you brought up non-controls? I mentioned Norco vs B&O suppositories....both are CII's. Obviously, most pharmacies have Norco, so it doesn't make sense to call around asking for a stock check (of course, the stock check is always for a specific mfg.) On the other hand, it would make sense for someone to call around looking for B&O suppositories, because it is going to be luck of the draw finding a pharmacy that has them in stock.

Because I am stupid. You are totally right of course. My bad.

I give out the info at my pharmacy. Of all the robberies I have been involved in, I don't think any of the robbers were capable of thinking to call the pharmacy ahead of time. They were all people who hit rock bottom and were desperate. I don't think I will be targeted for a robbery because someone knows I have 90 oxy 30s in stock. Most every pharmacy has some kind of oxy in stock.

As for when I actually get the stock check phone call, I'll say yes or no. If there are any follow up questions, I'll say that I will determine whether to fill it or not once you present the prescription and I can gather all the necessary reports to make an informed decision. That usually lets people know I will be thorough in my evaluation of the legitimacy of the prescription. They might not want to even bother.

Because I am stupid. You are totally right of course. My bad.

Well, we are all stupid at one time or another. As long as we aren't magically changing the expiration date of a drug by dispensing it, it's all good!

Policy here is to ask the person what thier name is. If its a regular we tell em the truth. If its not then we tell em to bring it in and we'll let them know.