Best Retail Chain to Work at

Started by pharmstud
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmstud

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I am trying to figure out which retail chain is the best to work with when graduating..
Can you please share your experience. If you don't like it to be public, send it to me and I can re-post it
Thanks


Name of chain:
Pay per hour:
Benefits:
Flexibility:
What you like most:
What you hate most:
 
Costco always has the reputation of being the BEST retail chain to work for. I never work for them before but they are usually the number 1 choice for people.

Costco
Sam's Club
Publix
Target

Have the best reputation of being the best to work for. I work for Target before...their computer system is really crappy...but it's not a bad company to work for.

I worked for Walmart as a summer intern only and it was very nice IMO. Tons of techs and help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks to whom have sent this to me

Name of chain: CVS
Pay per hour: $55/hour (Dayton, OH area) offered in fall 2009
Benefits: good (3 weeks vaca--I didn't look into anything else)
Flexibility: unsure, but probably not much
What you liked most: I enjoyed the fast-paced environment and the computer systems (I used both rx2000 & RxConnect as an intern). I liked the many opportunities for problem-solving and the competitive environment. I liked the pharmacists I worked with and the regular patients.
What you hated most: I would hate being judged by customer service metrics. I didn't like how little both the techs and the interns were paid. I didn't want to work 13-hour shifts. I didn't feel I'd have the opportunity to make any positive changes in community pharmacy with CVS. I thought my talents and leadership abilities would be put to better use elsewhere.
 
Outpatient pharmacy for a hospital or Kaiser is far better than any chain pharmacy position I have ever seen. Plus often times these positions are union with great benefit packages, competitive pay and great work hours...

If I was going to switch over to outpatient pharmacy world, I would work for a hospital or HMO, but alas I love inpatient. Chain retail would lead to alcoholism.