"Best" section to get a lower subscore in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Love Cats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What subscore would be least frowned upon if someone got say... an 8? We will use 8 because that is often the subscore that won't get you screened out. Lets assume that the other two scores would always be an 11 or above. And yes, this question is stemming from my own MCAT experience. I just want to keep this generic and not personal.

What subscore, if you had to get an 8 in one, would be least frowned upon from an admissions standpoint for allopathic schools? Is it better to prove your science ability or best to prove a verbal ability? I am inclined to say the sciences matter more. I'm looking forward to hearing any input! :welcome:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe 52 questions can adequately 'prove your science ability', but most people's lowest score is usually in verbal so I guess that's the general section that is viewed as being acceptable for having a lower score in.

I think it is better to get an 8 in Verbal when compared to the PS and BS sections. Most Adcoms know that the VR is the hardest section for most premeds. If you get an 8 in PS or in the BS sections then the adcoms know that you didn't study for it or put effort or that you didn't learn your science courses well. VR is much harder to learn; most of it is an innate ability which you can improve slightly.

I am pretty sure there is a paper out there that gives the relative importance of MCAT subsections, but I don't want to look for it right now. Personal opinion though, I think PS is probably the "best" section to get an 8 on. Most of the stuff in physics never really comes up again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure there is a paper out there that gives the relative importance of MCAT subsections, but I don't want to look for it right now. Personal opinion though, I think PS is probably the "best" section to get an 8 on. Most of the stuff in physics never really comes up again.

I agree.

Probably PS.

BS is obviously the most relevant section to med school.

VR is basically the critical thinking portion of the test, so it's important too.

PS has the least relevance. It's really just there for quantitative skills and to see how well you still know your pre-reqs.

I know this is just wikipedia, but it was cited.... "The Biological Sciences section most directly correlates to success on the USMLE Step 1 exam, with a correlation coefficient of .553 vs .491 for Physical Sciences and .397 for Verbal Reasoning.[2] Predictably, MCAT composite scores also correlate with USMLE Step 1 success."

One thing to consider, since PS seems to be the weakest section for the majority of test takers, is that PS should be the easiest section to make up points. Curve will be more generous which means you can correctly answer fewer questions for the highest score boost.

One thing to consider, since PS seems to be the weakest section for the majority of test takers, is that PS should be the easiest section to make up points. Curve will be more generous which means you can correctly answer fewer questions for the highest score boost.

I would guess that VR is the section that test-takers do most poorly on, although I do agree that PS is the best way to add points to the composite.

I would guess that VR is the section that test-takers do most poorly on, although I do agree that PS is the best way to add points to the composite.

If you look at the average MCAT section scores on the MSAR, for pretty much every school the Verbal section is usually about 1 point lower than PS or BS. I think this would mean that technically Verbal should be the best section to get a slightly lower score in, since it is likely to be closer to the matriculant average. For example, let's say you got a 9 in verbal and applied to a school where the average verbal score is a 10, that would likely be better than getting a 9 in PS or BS when the average score in those sections at the same school is an 11. On the whole though, I doubt it matters much unless one section is particularly low, as long as your composite is fine.

Ooh, going against the flow here: worst section to get an 8 in is verbal in my opinion.

Thought process: the new MCAT will be redesigning the PS section completely to merge it with BS (make it more 'human' related and less 'if I throw this egg off a cliff, still no one cares' esque), adding a behavioral sciences section, and keeping verbal more or less unchanged. By that logic VR > BS >>>>>>PS. Also, I've been hearing a lot lately (and somewhat agree) that the point of verbal is to test critical thinking skills which are crucial to physicians. BS is becoming more verbal reasoning like as well, implying the emphasis on verbal reasoning is only increasing. How well the VR section actually accomplishes the task of testing critical thinking is debatable, but anyway...

So, given OPs scenario, I'd prefer a 8/11/11 spread PS/VR/BS.

If you look at the average MCAT section scores on the MSAR, for pretty much every school the Verbal section is usually about 1 point lower than PS or BS. I think this would mean that technically Verbal should be the best section to get a slightly lower score in, since it is likely to be closer to the matriculant average. For example, let's say you got a 9 in verbal and applied to a school where the average verbal score is a 10, that would likely be better than getting a 9 in PS or BS when the average score in those sections at the same school is an 11. On the whole though, I doubt it matters much unless one section is particularly low, as long as your composite is fine.

Or it means that a high score on VR is that much more impressive considering the averages.

It is in my useless opinion that PS would be the least harmful a section to score poorly in.

AFAIK, schools care about your composite score more than your individual section scores.

But IMO, if you're going to score 3+ points lower on one section, make it VR.