Best single vision lenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teh dentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm usually on the dental forums, but I figured there is no better place to ask this question...

My ophthalmologist is telling me I am over using my contacts. I hate wearing glasses bc well I've been wearing contacts since I'm in fourth grade. My script is pretty high (-9.5 in contacts).

Please advise the best, clearest hi index-single vision lenses/AR combo that you recommend.

I don't know much on the subject, but im reading Zeiss and Crizal are up there. Please advise.

-mike

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm usually on the dental forums, but I figured there is no better place to ask this question...

My ophthalmologist is telling me I am over using my contacts. I hate wearing glasses bc well I've been wearing contacts since I'm in fourth grade. My script is pretty high (-9.5 in contacts).

Please advise the best, clearest hi index-single vision lenses/AR combo that you recommend.

I don't know much on the subject, but im reading Zeiss and Crizal are up there. Please advise.

-mike

I'm not sure how responsive anyone will be to what's basically a request for medical advice (a no-no, in the forum, I believe), regardless of whether the inquirer happens to be a member of the health field.

I'm not sure how responsive anyone will be to what's basically a request for medical advice (a no-no, in the forum, I believe), regardless of whether the inquirer happens to be a member of the health field.

Advice, comments, criticism, and information on experience or knowledge of brand lens is hardly medical advice. I'm not asking for a diagnosis or a prescription just information on whats a better lens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice, comments, criticism, and information on experience or knowledge of brand lens is hardly medical advice. I'm not asking for a diagnosis or a prescription just information on whats a better lens.

You're asking for advice on which medical product you should use to treat your condition. Probably, it would be best to seek the counsel of your eye-care provider.

No matter: this is only my feeling; you might receive responses you find to be more helpful, anyway.

Try posting on Optician forums and see what they say about asking for glasses lol. Na but I'd help you out in a pm but I am not knowledgeable enough yet.

first , u hv to pick a small frame, b/c smaller the frame , thinner the lenses, then, u need high index lenses (like 1.74 index)
or, with advice fr ophthalmologists, u may change to contact lenses with higher oxygen permeability, like Accuvue oayse
or, again consult an ophthalmologist to see if Lasik corrective surgery is good for u

Last edited:
I always get Crizal Scotchgard on my lenses. AR coatings are definitely one of those things where you get what you pay for. Getting a cheap AR coating is NOT worth it. And like someone else said, the smaller the frame, the better. It'll take off a lot of the edge thickness.

I always get Crizal Scotchgard on my lenses. AR coatings are definitely one of those things where you get what you pay for. Getting a cheap AR coating is NOT worth it. And like someone else said, the smaller the frame, the better. It'll take off a lot of the edge thickness.

Thanks for this info. I've read that Crizal is pretty darn good. Might give them a try.

I have a question for you, which may seem completely newb. Is "crizal scotchgard" the AR coating or the glass? Also, have you any experience with Zeiss? (is "zeiss" glass or coating?)

At a Cl Rx of -9.50, your glasses Rx is probably close to
-11.00 diopters.

My friend, your glasses are going to be butt-ugly coke-bottles no matter what you get. Sorry-- just a fact. That said, the best you can do in this country is a 1.74 Hi-Index with about any quality AR coating (Crizal is probably the industry leader) and as others have said, the smallest frame MATCHED TO YOUR pupillary distance......that's key. Too wide or too narrow will make for a more unsightly appearance.

It's good to have glasses for back-up and rest breaks, but you probably really should work on the contact lens issues. Maybe ask your doc about an ICL (implantable CLs) if you are not a candiate for Lasik/PRK.

The lack of peripheral view and lens distortions in general are going to make you a very unhappy spectacle lens wearer after enjoying the benefits of CLs.

Additionally, RGPs (gas permeable contacts) may be a good option for you as well (if you can tolerate them).

Last edited:
Thanks for this info. I've read that Crizal is pretty darn good. Might give them a try.

I have a question for you, which may seem completely newb. Is "crizal scotchgard" the AR coating or the glass? Also, have you any experience with Zeiss? (is "zeiss" glass or coating?)

Crizal is the coating. Zeiss makes lenses, but I think they also own the Teflon AR coating, which is also very good!