Best SMP for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YDoc2894

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA = 2.8
MCAT = 494
Top tier UG University
ORM
Lots of EC and research

What is a good SMP or Post Bacc program for me?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA = 2.8
MCAT = 494
Top tier UG University
ORM
Lots of EC and research

Hi,

What is the breakdown between your science gpa and cumulative gpa?

If you can work on improving your your sgpa and cgpa up to at least 2.9 then you would be eligible for VCOM's graduate certificate program which has a direct linkage into their medical school. Also, Drexel's masters in Biomedical Studies program (2-year).

I would suggest taking more undergraduate science courses to boost your gpa up to a 2.9 or 3.0 if possible. I have similar stats as you with the same MCAT score but a 3.3 cgpa and 3.2 sgpa and I got into Drexel's program so far. I am waiting to hear back from VCOM.

Hope this helps!

GPA = 2.8
MCAT = 494
Top tier UG University
ORM
Lots of EC and research

It's gonna be tough. Unless you retake the MCAT and do significantly better, I wouldn't consider applying to MD post-bacs or SMPs. You could look at DO SMPs, and I really don't know much about those. You could also look into SMP's/Post-bac that have a plan to help you with the MCAT. I think programs like EVMS 2-year med-masters program would be worth looking into.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA = 2.8
MCAT = 494
Top tier UG University
ORM
Lots of EC and research

Realistically you need to increase both your gpa and mcat before beginning to seriously look at any kind of SMP or official postbac program. Pull the mcat up at least 6-8 points (10+ would be better) and get the undergrad gpa nearer to 3.