Best Specialty for Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xian Ping

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im really business minded and like everything about dentistry (the lifestyle, salary, autonomy, business aspect) except the actual job, working on teeth. I am genuinely more interested in medicine and was wondering which medical specialty is closest to dentistry in terms of allowing me to own and sustain a lucrative private practice that would allow me to incorporate business into my job.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dermatoneurosurgery seems like it fits this best from my experience, but I'm only a 4th year so hopefully some residents chime in.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dermatoneurosurgery seems like it fits this best from my experience, but I'm only a 4th year so hopefully some residents chime in.

definitely. also maybe orthophthalotolarynology

Reactions: 1 user
Psych hands down, just let the Xanax flow.

I don't like psych and how long is the residency and how hard is it to match into dermatoneurosurgery and orthophthalotolarynology?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't like psych and how long is the residency and how hard is it to match into dermatoneurosurgery and orthophthalotolarynology?
Orthophthalotolarynology doesn't exist. He was being a dick. Dermatoneurosurgery is one of the most competitive residencies but hey that's what it takes to have a good life.

Reactions: 14 users
My stats aren't competitive enough to get into derm and if dermatoneurosurgery is as competitive as you say then probably not that either

jumps the gun on the resident tag and then self-identifies as a 4th year. I see you

Reactions: 1 users
My stats aren't competitive enough to get into derm and if dermatoneurosurgery is as competitive as you say then probably not that either

that one also isn't a real thing. as far as I'm aware, the CNS doesn't have a dermis or epidermis.

Reactions: 6 users
jumps the gun on the resident tag and then self-identifies as a 4th year. I see you
Eh I matched. I just don't want to be the resident who has a med student tag.

Members don't see this ad :)
ENT is good, probably not best. There are things you can have going on in the background, like hearing aid sales and allergy that generate revenue while you do other clinical duties at the same time.

Let's face it, fancy, you're only in dental school because you were worried about being able to match into interventional plastic dermaradioneurosurgery. And because there's only one spot, well....probably not a very good bet.

But teeth are cool.

lol

How about going to business school and ,ya know, going into business? Novel idea, I know.

I like how OP dislikes psych (fine) ...BUT is interested in: "dermatoneurosurgery and orthophthalotolarynology".

A well-informed conclusion by OP after intense deliberation based off extensive knowledge/shadowing/experience, no doubt.

I like how OP dislikes psych (fine) ...BUT is interested in: "dermatoneurosurgery and orthophthalotolarynology".

why all the hate for dermatoneurosurgery and orthophthalotolarynology? Sure a lot of people just do it for the money, but some are actually interested in operating exclusively on cutaneous nerves or the bones of the eyes and throat.

Reactions: 8 users
why all the hate for dermatoneurosurgery and orthophthalotolarynology? Sure a lot of people just do it for the money, but some are actually interested in operating exclusively on cutaneous nerves or the bones of the eyes and throat.
This is quite possibly the greatest post I've ever seen

A well-informed conclusion by OP after intense deliberation based off extensive knowledge/shadowing/experience, no doubt.

I don't hate on things I don't know about. You were probably the type of kid who never tried new foods.

I don't hate on things I don't know about. You were probably the type of kid who never tried new foods.

Its not that. Its the fact that you didn't recognize that those weren't real specialties. Since you seem to be happy with dentistry why don't you stick with that. Why do you need to find a medical specialty that compares to it?

This seems like a non sequitur.

Its not that. Its the fact that you didn't recognize that those weren't real specialties. Since you seem to be happy with dentistry why don't you stick with that. Why do you need to find a medical specialty that compares to it?

This guy gets it.

Because kids who don't try foods are hating on foods that they have never tried before?

Yes, interestingly, wouldn't that be -- you?
For example, when did you practice psych to know you dislike being a psychiatrist?

As noted above, those other specialties you claimed interested you don't exist -- they are make believe -- which was the crux of my original message, that, it seems, everyone else grasped -- but you.

This is all okay. Good luck!

Yes, interestingly, wouldn't that be -- you?
For example, when did you practice psych to know you dislike being a psychiatrist?

As noted above, those other specialties you claimed interested you don't exist -- they are make believe -- which was the crux of my original message, that, it seems, everyone else grasped -- but you.
No, interestingly, it wouldn't. When you start doing rotations you will realize that you get exposed to many different fields and get an understanding for what you like and don't like. So please calm down keyboard warrior.

No, interestingly, it wouldn't. When you start doing rotations you will realize that you get exposed to many different fields and get an understanding for what you like and don't like. So please calm down keyboard warrior.

No warrior, because no conflict.

I am very curious though how someone well into medical school (which it seems you are saying that you are)...does not know that "dermatoneurosurgery" and "orthophthalotolarynology" are not real specialties.

To each their own, I guess. Good luck!

No warrior, because no conflict.

I am very curious though how someone well into medical school (which it seems you are saying that you are)...does not know that "dermatoneurosurgery" and "orthophthalotolarynology" are not real specialties.

To each their own, I guess. Good luck!
Analysis of Frazier's posts: Throw a couple of jabs and insults then close with a positive "Good luck!" to cover up prior verbal assault.

Look Frazier, I'm going to take the high road and let this slide because I know you're going through a tough time right now. Good luck!

Plastic surgery. Comfy life style, good money, and good hours.

The plastic surgeons I worked with seem to be pretty comfy. The last one worked 9 - 5 Monday through Friday and every other Friday he gave himself off to go golfing. The other surgeon is one of the top plastic surgeons in the country and has 3 other surgeons working under him in this huge 3 story surgical center. I've seen people come all the way from Canada to see him. He's always talked about how the norm hours, rewarding results, and a very nice lifestyle are some are his favorite things about plastics. While I'm sure not all plastic surgeons have it this good, I'd say most of them have it pretty good.

How about Radioneuropsychodermitological Plastic Surgery? There's only one resident spot in the world. I heard that it pays tons.