Best specialty for working with cancer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted804295

Would a radiologist or an IM working in oncology do more for cancer patients?

I'm considering doing research part time regardless of what path I go down and ngl it would be pretty cool doing some cancer research on the side. What would be the best specialty to compliment this?

Members don't see this ad.

Would a radiologist or an IM working in oncology do more for cancer patients?

I'm considering doing research part time regardless of what path I go down and ngl it would be pretty cool doing some cancer research on the side. What would be the best specialty to compliment this?
Depends what kind of cancer you want to work with. Just generic “cancer” oncology would be good I think (or rad onc) But almost every organ system has an “oncology” fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Technically the medical oncologist would do the most. If you're speaking about radiation oncology (its own separate specialty), they do a lot too. There is also surgical oncology (coming from general surgery) and gynecological oncology (coming from OBGYN), but it would be harder to get hooked up with the latter two most likely.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
deleted! have a good one!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Radiologists’ scope of practice often includes oncology. If you are in IR, body or chest, or breast imaging you can focus on oncology, interact with patients, and be a large part of tumor boards in the hospital.