Best State to apply to medical school from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which State is the best place for the average applicant to apply from?

• California

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Florida

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Georgia

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Illinois

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New York

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Ohio

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Texas

Votes: 37 36.6%

• Total voters
why isnt hawaii in there?! WHY?!?!? :p

prolly new york..has 12 medical schools versus cali which has 7...and population of cali is higher than ny :)

but, the public schools in CALI are 10x better than the public schools in new york..

I dont think new york has middle ground...their private schools are top notch, and their public schools....well not so top notch..

there seems to be no medium in new york :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd say ohio or texas. plenty of med schools that are cheap for state residents.

cali is the worst on that list in my opinion, as far as difficulty of getting in goes. sure, its great if you can get into a UC med school, but its so freaking competitive out there.

California by far. Im surprised people voted for other states even. UCSF, UCLA, UCSD are so darn good. Top 20 private school equivalents at a public school price. Cant beat that!

what does residing in a certain state have anything to do with being average?

Texas schools are the best if you want to just get in (and don't care about prestige). The number of people applying to the number of spots avaialble is the lowest in the nation.

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
Texas schools are the best if you want to just get in (and don't care about prestige). The number of people applying to the number of spots avaialble is the lowest in the nation.

thats cuz it is Texas.....:cool:

honestly, who wants to live there? :D

A lot of that has to do with the fact that Texas is insulated by the TMDSAS system which acts as a deterrent to many applicants from even applying to TX schools. Thus, there are less applicants per spot.

Baylor and UTSW are relatively competitive, though they still accept a disproportionate number of Texans due to funding considerations and state laws.

Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit
why isnt hawaii in there?! WHY?!?!? :p

prolly new york..has 12 medical schools versus cali which has 7...and population of cali is higher than ny :)

but, the public schools in CALI are 10x better than the public schools in new york..

I dont think new york has middle ground...their private schools are top notch, and their public schools....well not so top notch..

there seems to be no medium in new york :D

ny has some great public schools.

i'd say ohio or texas. plenty of med schools that are cheap for state residents.
uhhh, what do you consider "cheap"??? the cheapest med schools in ohio for in-staters (osu, wright state) are now around $15,000 per year (the MSAR uses some hella-outdated numbers). total BS.

personally, though, i voted for texas for the reason that XCanadianRagwee cited.

If you are just considering chances of getting into a state school if you are instate, Indiana has to be up there. According to US News Report stats like 60% of instate applicants were accepted to Indiana last year.

If you just want to go to medical school, the hands-down winner is Texas. You've got a lot of schools, few applicants, and a requirement by law to take a huge proportion of in-staters. The acceptance rates are some of the highest in the country. UT-SW, a US News top-20 school, has an 18% acceptance rate! Damn, now I wish I was res.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats cuz it is Texas.....:cool:

honestly, who wants to live there? :D

I think you may have an early case of cabin fever. :D :D

Have you ever spent any significant time in Texas? Do you have any experiences whatsoever to back this up or is it just your political views overflowing?

Originally posted by OrthoFixation
I think you may have an early case of cabin fever. :D :D

Have you ever spent any significant time in Texas? Do you have any experiences whatsoever to back this up or is it just your political views overflowing?

Yes, I've lived there...bunch of rednecks just ask the Dixie Chicks ;)

yep, texas sucks. i spent 3 miserable years there, in austin, which is supposedly the best place in texas. it's hot, ugly, and way too sprawling. everyone drives their bloated suv's and wastes tons of water on their lawns, somehow forgetting that they live in an arid climate. oh yeah, and don't get me started on the cockroaches and mosquitoes.

the tex mex is good, though.

Yes, I've lived there...bunch of rednecks just ask the Dixie Chicks ;)

Yes, I must admit I turn to the Dixie Chicks for all my opinions. They have such great qualifications as movers and shakers on the international affair scene.

I'll add them to the list:
1. Cher
2. the Sheen family
3. Dixie Chicks

Oh, thanks for moving :D

Originally posted by exlawgrrl
yep, texas sucks. i spent 3 miserable years there, in austin, which is supposedly the best place in texas. it's hot, ugly, and way too sprawling. everyone drives their bloated suv's and wastes tons of water on their lawns, somehow forgetting that they live in an arid climate. oh yeah, and don't get me started on the cockroaches and mosquitoes.

the tex mex is good, though.

Austin is the best place in TX if you are a college student. If you are older, its probably Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio that are better.

I agree that Texas is hot and is sprawling, but you obviously have not lived in Austin very long if you think its ugly. You must have missed Barton Springs and Lake Austin completely, or the forests that are a 10 minute drive from UT.

Come to think of it, I cant think of very many places in the south that arent hot and sprawling. Then again, the fact that there is more growth/sprawl in the south than in some other regions tells you that there must be something good in TX.

I personally think its the cheap land that attracts people, and the low taxes. The suburbs of major cities (Plano in Dallas, Sugar Land/Woodlands/Katy in Houston) are usually very nice.

Ohio is the best state for medical colleges.

Texas schools are the best if you want to just get in (and don't care about prestige).

Actually, Baylor and UTSW are both "top-20" schools according to the U.S. News ranking gods (Baylor is tied w/Cornell at 12; UTSW is #17 or thereabouts--I just checked.).

As far as "best state" med school-wise...IMO, Texas, hands down. (although cali would be a nice 2nd option.) after visiting baylor :love: i feel soooo fortunate to be a tx resident. what an amazing school, at only $6550 in-state tuition. same w/utsw--excellent (less than $7000/yr) education and clinical experience at an unbeatable price.

And about living in Texas...why so much tx hate? :) i've lived all over...and yes, it's not exactly paradise, but the people here are some of the friendliest i've encountered. even the bigness can be reassuring (after living/working in the rush of london and ny, it was always comforting to return home). dallas/austin/houston are suprisingly cosmopolitan, and the suburbs have top-ranked school districts and extremely reasonable cost of living, etc. etc. it's perfect for living a nice, calm and comfortable life. (apartment rent = $450-$800/mo in downtown dallas, by ut southwestern--really, *really* nice places too). the only thing that bites is the traffic/rush hour (no public transportation really) and the hot summers--but i'll be enjoying the 65 degree november days.

i definitely would not mind spending another 4 years here attending med school (baylor pleasepleaseplease accept me....).

Originally posted by spumoni620
(baylor pleasepleaseplease accept me....).

My thoughts exactly :) We can always hope! I'm going to be so nervous on the week of Oct. 15th.

Illinois, because it has 2 state schools with high acceptance rates and 5 private schools that give at least some preference to IL residents. There is also one D.O. school.

School / Acceptance Rate

State Schools:
University of Illinois at Chicago / 14.3 %
Southern Illinois University / 14.6 %

Private Schools:
Loyola University Chicago / 8.6 %
Northwestern University / 9.7 %
University of Chicago, Pritzker / 4.2%
Rush Medical College / Don't know %, but they do take over 80% from IL
Finch University of Health Sc. / Don't know %, but has a rep for being easier to get into

Osteo School:
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine / Don't know %

That being said, I have held tightly onto my WA state residency because the UW is such a great school.

Also, if you really just want to get in, North Dakota has a 33 % acceptance rate.

"I agree that Texas is hot and is sprawling, but you obviously have not lived in Austin very long if you think its ugly. You must have missed Barton Springs and Lake Austin completely, or the forests that are a 10 minute drive from UT.

Come to think of it, I cant think of very many places in the south that arent hot and sprawling. Then again, the fact that there is more growth/sprawl in the south than in some other regions tells you that there must be something good in TX."

well, i live in oregon now, which is unbelievably beautiful. while barton springs and lake austin are sort of pretty, they're nothing compared to what we have here. admittedly, the hill country parts of austin could be pretty. the northern and eastern parts were ugly, though. and yes, i did live in austin a long time--as i stated, i lived there for 3 long years.

NORTH CAROLINA!!!
you can't beat $8000 tuition.
and duke favors NC residents slightly. . .
and if you get into UNC it's a great top-25 school for hardly any money and a relatively easy application pool.
my vote is for the tarheel state!