Best States to be a resident in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Umm... what edge?
if you were a resident of cali you have the "extra edge" of getting into cali schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm... what edge?

I mean I'm assuming California public medical schools favor tax-paying Californian residents over OOS applicants like most other state schools, though admittedly I haven't researched this specifically since I am in-state.

I mean I'm assuming California public medical schools favor tax-paying Californian residents over OOS applicants like most other state schools, though admittedly I haven't researched this specifically since I am in-state.

If you goal is to get into a Cali med school, then maybe, but if you're goal is to get into ANY med school, then no, it's not.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you goal is to get into a Cali med school, then maybe, but if you're goal is to get into ANY med school, then no, it's not.

Yea I think that is the common conception since it is more competitive to get a spot. I think chubby and myself were trying to present the flip side though: your chances at a few top schools are improved in comparison to OOS chances at said top schools (or in-state top schools in general).

You're right though, in general most agree Cali residents have it hardest getting into med school period though.

I dont know why this is...but cali applicants actualy have a higher acceptance rate into any US medical school then a number of other states..

I dont feel like looking up the numbers...but calis acceptance rate was 41.something% and NC was 39.something%....just as one example.

I dont know why this is...but cali applicants actualy have a higher acceptance rate into any US medical school then a number of other states..

I dont feel like looking up the numbers...but calis acceptance rate was 41.something% and NC was 39.something%....just as one example.

Because everyone on SDN highly recommends people who live in CA to apply OUTSIDE of CA.

On the other hand, Texas residents mostly keep to Texas and I'd wager we might hit 30% or lower this year.

Ky has to one of them. I mean they let me in for crying out loud and I got a 28 on the MCAT. I know some people who have gotten in with 25's!! That's a pretty low score.

Aggies are dumb and Lubbock sucks.

No, I don't know why.. I guess they're just not as highly rated as some of the other TX schools, like UTH, Southwestern, and Baylor.

But Lubbock really does suck.

I am from out of state, in San Antonio currently, I think it really sucks, all the girls are short and fat

The IUSM Class of 2009 just took Step I, they put up an average score of 230. 98% pass rate. National average is around 215.

This is from the second biggest medical school in the country. For some reason I think patients in Indiana are doing ok.

Does this national average include DO students?

I am from out of state, in San Antonio currently, I think it really sucks, all the girls are short and fat

Austin is 80 miles north!

As mentioned elsewhere, Austin is getting its own UT sponsered med school sometime in the next five years (around 50 slots). Add to that A&M's new med school in Round Rock (Austin suburb) and there will be around 120 additional Texas slots available by 2015.

Hawaii is the worst state. Yes they are significantly prejudiced against OOS (I'm okay with my word choice here) which helps IS get interviews but:

1) PBL blows
2) JABSOM faculty don't even teach you
3) Low Board scores
4) Clinical experience is largely from JABSOM gradautes (can you say inbred)
5) Automatically OOS for every decent school
6) Academic advising only helps you get into JABSOM
7) Every Time you want to interview elsewhere you pay out your A$$ for airfare.
8) If you leave you've got to ship eveything you own accross the bleeding ocean
9) Living in hawaii means you pay a huge cost of living (Gas, rent, food etc) because everything is shipped in and cant afford to buy a plane ticket to leave after you pay the bills.
10)local Culture is so laid back that nothing ever gets done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas.

1) 7 med schools (few states have more).
2) All med schools show in-state preference.
3) All public med schools must take 90% in-state (Baylor does 75% in-state by their choice).
4) Not all "extremely" competitive schools like California (relatively speaking).
5) Applying to all 7 schools only costs $195 ($85 if you feel A&M and Tech aren't for you)
6) Baylor & UTH have Texas Medical Center.

and the best of all?

7) Tuition is the cheapest anywhere ($10,000 per year) PLUS living expenses are cheap too!

Do I really need to go on?

You are absolutely correct. Texas has no competition if you are a med student. The state of Texas blows on many levels, but if you are a med student, second place is not even close.

you seen the in-state rates for Texas? I'm jealous.

Oh, and you can buy a huge house for $200,000 down there. You need half a million bucks for a shack in San Francisco.

Best states? One of the states in WWAMI-land that feeds into UW. Really low requirements and cheap tuition to one of the top med schools in the nation.

How about Michigan? three medschools with wildly expensive OOS tuition.

Two new medical schools (West Mich. and Oakland) in the next two years, with another expanding its class, and possibly followed by a third (Central). Hey, I'm a Mich resident too, and its starting to look gooooood. :cool:

Nevada. 1 in 3 in-state applicants get accepted.

Indiana University Medical School has a 45.2% acceptance rate if you are interviewed and are an Indiana Resident. To get an an interview you need a 3.2 and a 24 mcat.

Wow, that's pretty doable! And what do you need if you are an out of state there?

You are absolutely correct. Texas has no competition if you are a med student. The state of Texas blows on many levels, but if you are a med student, second place is not even close.

I love being quoted with kind words. :)

:laugh: Yeah, but that's true at most schools. How much money and what stats for OOS?
like 45K tuition....I would say you probably need at or above their matriculant averages, but this is just speculation.