Better state to be resident for application? NC or SC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicalmisfit

Reaction score
I am in the unique situation where I am in military and own a house in NC while having official home of record of SC. Anyone know which state would be better to use as residency for application purpose?

Members don't see this ad.

South Carolina. The state public schools in each state matriculate the same number of residents when comparing the 2 states but North Carolina has twice as many applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Successful SC applicants only needed a 509.9 MCAT compared to NC at 511.8.

Although there are 4 schools in NC (compared to 3 in SC) two of them are Duke and UNC. That effectively leaves two schools available to most SC applicants. Duke only matriculated 14 IS MD applicants.
The median IS MCAT at UNC is 515. That is very high for a public school in the South.

Depending on your stats and research experience, either could be a good choice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are around 500 SC resident applicants for 278 in-state SC seats.
There are around 1100-1200 NC resident applications for 314 in-state NC seats (which includes private schools WF and Duke)

AAMC Table A-1 for 2022-2023.

I am in the unique situation where I am in military and own a house in NC while having official home of record of SC. Anyone know which state would be better to use as residency for application purpose?
are you going to be moving back to SC for college in the scenario you do this? if you don't have an address in SC you are going to face significant struggle to be considered in state for residency (assuming you are getting out of the military).

I just went through this process with SC in a similar scenario to yours (with fairly significant struggle), happy to answer any questions if you can be a bit more detailed on your scenario.

are you going to be moving back to SC for college in the scenario you do this? if you don't have an address in SC you are going to face significant struggle to be considered in state for residency (assuming you are getting out of the military).

I just went through this process with SC in a similar scenario to yours (with fairly significant struggle), happy to answer any questions if you can be a bit more detailed on your scenario.
I plan on doing an HPSP scholarship to finish out the couple years I have left to military retirement when I’m done

I plan on doing an HPSP scholarship to finish out the couple years I have left to military retirement when I’m done
will you still be active duty when you are applying/going through medical school? SC's rules for residency are a lot more lenient if you are still active duty and SC is the state you pay taxes to on LES and you still file SC taxes.

If you won't be active duty when applying, SC is likely gonna tell you to kick rocks (about being a resident) if you don't live in the state and are out of the military. You'll definitely be able to get in-state tuition wherever you go while using whatever governmental benefits you've earned due to federal law, but that's different than being considered a resident for getting in.

Reactions: 1 users