Best Stethescope Available Today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bchang74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I am getting a graduation present for my cousin who is going to be entering medical school in the fall and was thinking about getting stethoscope for her. It has been a longtime since I bought my stethoscope (Littman Cardiology II SE that I bought in 1996) and was wondering what most people are buying these days. She has no idea what field she wants to go into, so I am just looking to get the best overall stethoscope.

I was checking out some websites and there seems to be a lot of hype about this Magna Fortis stethoscope, but personally, I have never heard of this company and have seen very few of these used in the hospital. Anybody heard of these / or used them?

http://www.magnafortis.com/inner-index.html
http://www.stethoscopes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EM&Category_Code=MF

Thanks in advance,
ben

Members don't see this ad.

Litman Cardio III is nice. I liked it better for identifying counds then the other two I have. It made doing the basic things very easy.

Most med students have the Littman Cardio III. I don't think it's necessarily the best one on the market right now, but it seems to be the most popular.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd vote Littman as well.

If you have access, and it sounds like you might, ask the cardiology guys/pulm guys what they like best. If you don't have access, maybe float your post into the IM specialties forum and see what replies you get.

dc

bigdan said:
I'd vote Littman as well.

If you have access, and it sounds like you might, ask the cardiology guys/pulm guys what they like best. If you don't have access, maybe float your post into the IM specialties forum and see what replies you get.

dc

I'm interested in cardiology and just finished a rotation in the field. Most of the registrars (chiefs) used the Littman Master Cardiology and I've also been using it for the past year. It is an excellent tool, the earpieces are amazing and the clarity of sounds are distinctive from other stethoscopes. The only problem is that with peds and when listing at the apex of the lung in the supraclvicular fossa there is not a lot of room (one can apply the rubber attachment) for the large head of the Master. Also in OSCE exams it seems that examiners prefer you have a bell such that they know you know where to use it and you don't have to say "I'm using the bell here".

In terms of your original question, I think most people regard LitmanMasterCardio as the top of the top...HOWEVER

I'm one to RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION when I see 99% of people doing something (like buying Littman Cardiology III stethos). I ended up with a Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite, don't regret the choice one bit. It's built nicer/heavier/looks cooler, has an actual bell, and in my opinion is a better stethoscope overall for about the same price.

Also, as said billions of times on this board already, don't forget, it's not the stethoscope, it's the person listening. If you know what you're doing, you can hear murmurs/clicks/crackles just as well with a $15 nurses scope, just doesn't look as cool :cool:

Admittedly it's a bit of a different environment, but the word on the EMT forums about the Magna-Fortis scopes is mixed. As for me, personally, I'll second the Harvey Elite. I generally use my Littmann Cardiology III (which in any event is essentially a modified Cardiology IISE) because that's what most of my professors have but realistically, the Elite is better acoustically. We were given Harvey Elites here and I think that people have been pretty impressed. Of course, 3M has done such a wonderful job of marketing Littmanns, at first, a number of people thought they were getting second-rate scopes (but later changed their minds).

I know this is going to be an unpopular choice amongst medical professionals, but I truly believe the future of stethoscopes is the digital stethoscope. You can do so much more with them. First, you can turn up the volume and hear what's going on even when there are other people in the room talking. Secondly and more importantly, you can save the sound file from a patient, plug into a USB port and analyze it more closely on your computer. You can even print out a waveform! Who doesn't want that?

The big drawback with the digital stethoscopes is that they are big and ugly looking. Not too impressive when using it amongst alot of traditional docs. However, Littman just introduced some new models that don't look like a big ugly pair of earbuds. They are actually pretty nice looking. Here's the one I've been eyeing lately. This one isn't even their top of the line digital steth.

Littman model 3000 digital stethoscope.
elec3000.jpg

You're probably right but for someone just entering med school, sticking with an acoustic scope's the way to go. Oh, and cool as the Littmann 3000 is, you can't save sounds with it.

Random said:
You're probably right but for someone just entering med school, sticking with an acoustic scope's the way to go. Oh, and cool as the Littmann 3000 is, you can't save sounds with it.

I just checked Littman's website. oops. Yep, you are correct. The Littman 3000 offers adjustable volume controls so you can still jack the volume up when it becomes impossible to hear anything as in when other people are in the room talking and carrying about. The Littman 4000 does have the same features as the 3000 plus you can save the sound files for playback either through the steth or through your computer. It also lets you print the waveform. But it is quite expensive.

JonnyG said:
Litman Cardio III is nice. I liked it better for identifying counds then the other two I have. It made doing the basic things very easy.

sweet. a fellow in my clinic said his stethescope was broken. i asked if i could have it, and he said sure. i cleaned out all the bizzare junk in the tube and it seems to work fine to me. it's a littman cardio III. i'm way too excited for med school someone do something.

do they have limits on the type of scope you can use on OSCE exams? for example, i thought you have to use wall mounted welch allyn oto and ophthalmoscopes even if you have one of those fancy panoptics

Harvey-Tycos Elite DLX

I promiss that you will not be sorry. I had a hand-me-down Littmann Cardiology II. It was okay. My 4th year physical exam instructor let me try her harvey tycos and I was blown away. My plastic earbuds rotted away on my littmann and I decided to jump for the nice scope. Money well spent. It's glorious. As a previous poster said, there is an actual bell - no micky mouse bell. It feels like a german sports car: solid and well built.

Members don't see this ad :)
BlondeCookie said:
I know this is going to be an unpopular choice amongst medical professionals, but I truly believe the future of stethoscopes is the digital stethoscope. You can do so much more with them. First, you can turn up the volume and hear what's going on even when there are other people in the room talking. Secondly and more importantly, you can save the sound file from a patient, plug into a USB port and analyze it more closely on your computer. You can even print out a waveform! Who doesn't want that?

The big drawback with the digital stethoscopes is that they are big and ugly looking. Not too impressive when using it amongst alot of traditional docs. However, Littman just introduced some new models that don't look like a big ugly pair of earbuds. They are actually pretty nice looking. Here's the one I've been eyeing lately. This one isn't even their top of the line digital steth.

elec3000.jpg

Digitals have been around a long time now and never caught on. Sort of like the betamax -- doesn't matter if its better if no one buys it.

Law2Doc said:
Digitals have been around a long time now and never caught on. Sort of like the betamax -- doesn't matter if its better if no one buys it.

No doubt. On the other hand, to ignore technological advancements under the presumption that it hasn't been done well in the past would be equally misconceived. Otherwise, we could've given up on computers, CDs, etc.

Besides, the e-scopes haven't looked or felt like a typical stethoscope until recently. And SticknRudder's right about the Harvey DLX but I'd say that about the entire Welch Allyn stethoscope line - they're all awesome.

Law2Doc said:

Beg to differ. Consumer electronics that play a particular medium depend on manufacturers to create media for them. They are therefore more susceptible to the "catching on" effect. But stethoscopes are not media-dependent and whether a model catches on or not matters little as long as the manufacturer sells enough to justify continuing to make it. It's already a rather small market.

Random said:
Besides, the e-scopes haven't looked or felt like a typical stethoscope until recently. And SticknRudder's right about the Harvey DLX but I'd say that about the entire Welch Allyn stethoscope line - they're all awesome.
The only thing I didn't like about the Welch Allyns was the length of the tube - I have a 21" neck and they just didn't drape far enough and would have kept slipping off. Also the Welch Allyn sales rep who came to my school was an obnoxious boob.

liverotcod said:
Beg to differ. Consumer electronics that play a particular medium depend on manufacturers to create media for them. They are therefore more susceptible to the "catching on" effect. But stethoscopes are not media-dependent and whether a model catches on or not matters little as long as the manufacturer sells enough to justify continuing to make it. It's already a rather small market.

Companies absolutely advertise these things all the time -- in magazines, pitches to med students, glossy brochures etc. The fact that they cannot move the digitals with any frequency is problematic, but the manufacturers are doing what they can to sell them. Part of it is that stethescope skills are part of the old-school tradition and ceremony of medicine, and folks will fight hard to give them up. Part of it is that students buy something that will last them decades, and then tend to want to replace it with something they are now comfortable with. The other part is that the digital devices, albeit better, are not so much better that they override the strong incentive toward tradition.

I was using an older Littmann for the first few months of school, until I decided to buy myself an early Christmas gift.
After using a few of my friend's Cardio III's, I did some research and picked up the MDF Cardiology in the "blackout" color. Aside from the unique color, the sound is exceptional.
Here is a link to their website
http://www.mdfdirect.com/list_1.htm
Picture of the blackout model
http://www.mdfdirect.com/1_1.htm

Law2Doc said:
Companies absolutely advertise these things all the time
By media, I don't mean mass media, but rather the actual content media that plays on the machine - VHS cassettes vs Betamax cassettes vs DVDs; LPs vs tapes vs CDs. Because retailers have limited stock space and because media manufacturers don't want to make multiple versions, they promote a herd effect that all but eliminates the loser in the battle.

liverotcod said:
By media, I don't mean mass media, but rather the actual content media that plays on the machine - VHS cassettes vs Betamax cassettes vs DVDs; LPs vs tapes vs CDs. Because retailers have limited stock space and because media manufacturers don't want to make multiple versions, they promote a herd effect that all but eliminates the loser in the battle.

I get that, but still think that folks are choosing the traditional over the digital stethescopes independent of stock or ads or quality. I can probably think up a better example if you don't like the betamax one for the media reasons - but the point is the same :) .

Law2Doc said:
I get that, but still think that folks are choosing the traditional over the digital stethescopes independent of stock or ads or quality. I can probably think up a better example if you don't like the betamax one for the media reasons - but the point is the same :) .

Law, I know what you mean. I was skeptical too of the digital steths. They look ugly, and the first ones didn't sound too hot, but you gotta give them another chance! Maybe, you'll be surprised. And even if you aren't, you gotta try it anyway just to see how far they've really come.

BlondeCookie said:

elec3000.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15882458&dopt=Abstract

Research article showing that medical students who use electronic stethoscopes do no better than students using traditional stethoscopes on cardiac auscultation. Basically, a $100 stethoscope will do just as well as a $400 stethoscope. Save your money :)

Magna Fortis Metacardia stethoscopes: great marketing hype or real performers?

I know these scopes are expensive, but I'm curious if these stethoscopes are really top notch performers. I've searched everywhere and there is very limited data out there regarding them.

Has anyone used these scopes or know someone who has and what kind of feed back can you help me with.

Your input will help.

Have anyone here engraved their stethoscope? I kindeof want my name on it and maybe "MD" at the end. Or will this look stupid? Engraving my name is probably nice since I will use it at hospitals later on and may forget it sometimes. But do you guys think the MD at the end is over the top, or is it acceptable?

Have anyone here engraved their stethoscope? I kindeof want my name on it and maybe "MD" at the end. Or will this look stupid? Engraving my name is probably nice since I will use it at hospitals later on and may forget it sometimes. But do you guys think the MD at the end is over the top, or is it acceptable?

If you are not an MD right now, then bad idea to get it engraved that way. How about embroidering your white coat with MD now too?

If you are not an MD right now, then bad idea to get it engraved that way. How about embroidering your white coat with MD now too?

Yeah thats what was I was thinking too, but I know some sites that sell the stethoscopes engrave it for free. I dont want to disrespect the MD's or Profs. by wearing the "badge of honor :smuggrin:" to early :)

I guess I will just stick with engraving my name, and then if I bother, get the extra letters later.

Yeah thats what was I was thinking too, but I know some sites that sell the stethoscopes engrave it for free. I dont want to disrespect the MD's or Profs. by wearing the "badge of honor :smuggrin:" to early :)

I guess I will just stick with engraving my name, and then if I bother, get the extra letters later.

From the sounds of things on SDN, you'll "lose" your 'scope one way or another, or just plain want to upgrade it with something more field specific/sophisticated by the time you graduate and can get the letters added then.

when i see what steth you use, i see the poverty gap here. i use the poor classic II SE :(

I got the free engraving on the tubing of my stethoscope, but it just has my first initial and last name. I have faith it will still disapear one day, but I'm hoping it will prolong the time till that event occurs. I still need to just have a backup. People get so fixated on stethoscopes and their quality, but what is between those ear buds is what matters the most. I still feel that my music background (especially since it was percussion) has given me a minor edge on my counterparts. Not enough to be worth anything really, but I do tend to remember the sounds easily since I tend to associate them with something.

Another vote for the Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite. No one has it for whatever reason, but they are amazing.

I'd get the 'Master-Beater 5000' by Lub Dub Inc.
"if you still can't hear em, they're dead"

Don't engrave MD on your stethoscope unless you are already an MD - otherwise you will get a lot of **** from any resident/attending who borrows your scope (and that will happen a million times in your third year).

And for those wondering, there's a big difference between the digital Littman and the Cardio III - it's much better, even if you get the cheaper version that can't record.

You could get M.D. engraved on it and put some electrical tape over it until you graduate, if it's that important to you.