Best Study material for Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmitrinyr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to finish medical school and would like to take step 3 in the first few months of residency to have it there when I reapply next year. What are the best study materials for step 3? I've read this forum and some people say Crush, others say that Crush is too broad. I will be using UW and then a resident friend of mine suggested USMLEconsult for the clinical cases. I wanted to do relatively well on the exam in order to have the programs see an improved grade (my step 1 and 2 scores are avg). Any suggestions? Pros? Cons?

I wish I could take it prior to residency starting given that I have all this time to study but they don't let me register until I graduate and so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it in the first few months of residency.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

bump, bump

Come on guys, there has to be someone one this forum that can give me a quick rundown of what they or others have used to study for Step 3. I really want to do well on this exam and I just want to know what was helpful for others. Thanks

if u really... really want to know, you can do a search.

and if you don't want to do a search, you can scroll down like 10 threads and find this info.

your welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone here use MKSAP in their Step 3 prep? If so, how similar were the questions/concepts to the actual Step 3?

I wouldn't study for Step III.

chill.

I have to say, no disrespect, that is arrogant.
MKSAP 14 is very useful, questions are very detailed, there is a Primary Care section, I forgot what it is called, but that is very helpful.
Stay away from MKSAP for students, that is far too skimpy and is good for step 2 ck only.
Premier Review and USMLE World, NMS are very good.

I think an often overlooked resource is Boards and Wards. Yeah, sure I have found about a dozen mistakes in the book reading through it but that only elevates your confidence while studying. You're like, "wow I know more than the author!" :) No seriously, I think it's packed with info.

I started out with Crush and it's nothing more than a watered down version of Step 2 Secrets. Yep, you're reading that right...Step 2 written by the same author.

Alas, I haven't taken the exam yet so I don't know what else to say. But give Boards and Wards a chance. And of course the requisite question banks and what not of your choosing.