Best study materials for MJPE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be taking the MPJE for Iowa. I haven't taken the MPJE in about 14 years since I moved to the southeast. What materials are the best to use? I plan on buying the Iowa law manual and reading it/taking notes, but didn't know if anyone knows of some good review materials for federal law/controlled substances I can use as a refresher? I really haven't worked retail much and IIRC that is a a good chunk of the law exam.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I found the MPJE worksheet on tl;dr pharmacy to be very helpful. The idea is to fill it out as you read through the state laws, it makes it easy to see the differences.

Updating my response from a previous post: I am licensed to practice in 16 states (due to work requirement.) I took pen-and-paper tests in TX and FL years ago, with the other 14 states in the last 22 months. Most states are still skewed to retail, so real life work in that arena is helpful. I have experience across retail, nursing home, hospital/sterile products but I have a study set of questions (I don't take time off work to study) that hasn't faled me thus far. I have taken (and passed) 3 MPJE exams in 21 days, and I have studied for, taken (and passed) an exam on 2 days' notice (4 days if you count from the day I applied for reciprocity)

1. Most MPJE is heavy on federal law, and you need to know where state law differs. Know the Federal Pharmacy Law review by Reiss & Hall backward, forward, and sideways. Yes, the federal law has changed regarding CII partial fills, but state laws generally haven't caught up, and if you had that ONE question that made you get a 74 instead of a 76, you could always ask for a hand grade.
2. Know the composition of the state board, the licensure term, internship hours required, and CE requirements.
3. Technicians: Know if tech needs to be registered, what the qualifications are, what the ratio is, and what duties techs can and cannot perform.
4. CS inventory requirements - does the state follow federal DEA rules, or more stringent (several states require annual inventories)
5. OTC sales of Ephedrine, PSE, Codeine/Opium. Allowed vs RX only? Federal limits or more stringent?
6. CS dispensing limits. Emergency rules.
7. Counseling rules/offer to counsel.
8. Are there any requirements of size of pharmacy ie: square footage? Counter space?
9. Transfers rules between pharmacies.
10. Rules for out of state and mid level practitioners.
11. Unprofessional conduct: what is considered unprof. conduct and what can the BOP do as far as discipline is concerned.
12. What I like to call the "dead doctor" question. (some states allow prescriptions that are valid as written, when written, and where written to stand, while others make it against regulation to knowingly fill a script if the prescriber is dead)
13. Generally know your controlled substance classifications. Commonly prescribed CII substances, benzos are CIV, etc. Also know more common CI substances.
14. How long do you have to report change of address/employer/PIC
15. Know the difference/definition between adulteration and misbranding
16. Generally know the content of USP 795, 797 (I live in USP 797 on a daily basis. I find that most states either ask several questions on sterile products, or NO questions on sterile products,) 800. Know that chapters above 999 are informative guidance.

My advice for you would be to go through the Iowa laws and rules and highlight differences between theirs and your current practice state.

Reactions: 2 users