You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Best suggestions for online/inperson learning CME
Started by DogSnoot
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
One not-so-obvious suggestion: LER Expo has had some great online seminars and the formatting allows for fairly effective audience participation.
Podiatry presents. I did all 50 hours that I needed this way.
And there's honestly some really good stuff. A lot of medicine type stuff and non-surgical stuff that is really well done.
And it's honestly the cheapest way as well you can get it unlimited one year membership for maybe 750 or 800 bucks.
Time it right and you could cover multiple years of CME with that one year of access.
And there's honestly some really good stuff. A lot of medicine type stuff and non-surgical stuff that is really well done.
And it's honestly the cheapest way as well you can get it unlimited one year membership for maybe 750 or 800 bucks.
Time it right and you could cover multiple years of CME with that one year of access.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BeaverBlade
Full Member
Yeah I use podiatry present
Watched a lecture this year of some private practice owner who said he takes all his patients that don’t pay to small claims court. lol
Watched a lecture this year of some private practice owner who said he takes all his patients that don’t pay to small claims court. lol
Unless your state mandates you have to get 1/2 your CME from said state podiatry conference.Podiatry presents. I did all 50 hours that I needed this way.
And there's honestly some really good stuff. A lot of medicine type stuff and non-surgical stuff that is really well done.
And it's honestly the cheapest way as well you can get it unlimited one year membership for maybe 750 or 800 bucks.
Time it right and you could cover multiple years of CME with that one year of access.
I enjoy going to my state conference. The first year I went the lecture quality was a little bit low, but the speakers have improved and I'm always interested to see the faces of podiatry. I could sit at home and watch lectures, but its much more enjoyable to ask other young people "would you choose podiatry again" and hear what they say. That said, I hate tollroads and traffic and my conference city is a concrete hellhole.
Are you allowed to do 100% CME online? I have to do 50% in person. Gotta force attendance at the local state yearly conference...Podiatry presents. I did all 50 hours that I needed this way.
And there's honestly some really good stuff. A lot of medicine type stuff and non-surgical stuff that is really well done.
And it's honestly the cheapest way as well you can get it unlimited one year membership for maybe 750 or 800 bucks.
Time it right and you could cover multiple years of CME with that one year of access.
I may or may not be in a state that allows 100 percentAre you allowed to do 100% CME online? I have to do 50% in person. Gotta force attendance at the local state yearly conference...
Not in clinic not making money bro.I enjoy going to my state conference. The first year I went the lecture quality was a little bit low, but the speakers have improved and I'm always interested to see the faces of podiatry. I could sit at home and watch lectures, but its much more enjoyable to ask other young people "would you choose podiatry again" and hear what they say. That said, I hate tollroads and traffic and my conference city is a concrete hellhole.
While you're off in the OR putting Lapiplasty plates in Medicaid patients I'll be perusing the conference hall learning the next over reimbursed scam. Gotta get in early before PE drains Medicare dry.🧛♀️Not in clinic not making money bro.
There is only so much time for Cme, so I think it's worth getting quality...
ACFAS has most of the best edu stuff. ASC is the biggest podiatry meeting by a mile; they've had a fair bit of F&A orthos at the past few also. Their division and "on the road" stuff is good too, but it's still fairly expensive if you can't write it off or get a CME allowance. I do a lot of the ACFAS OnDemand stuff to make up any gaps if I'm short for a renew cycle.
For in-person, depends on the location, timing, cost... usually ACFAS, PI, GTEF, IFAF, others. AOFAS is worth going once if near you and driving distance (probably not twice). I did West Penn, and it was real good for a smallish meeting (mostly alumni speaking). Once you are past associate income, the real cost of these is the missed clinic revenue, though (PP owner/partner $$ or hospital podiatrist Rvu missed).
State meetings are fine if they have ppl you like or stuff to do there... might have some updates or ideas on laws or insurances that are pertinent to you.
NMex really hiked the non-member (non-APMA) rate and gave short notice, so I'm not there this year. I will go some years. It was fair when I've attended.
Mich let you pick which division you joint and had pretty good ones for the northeast division back when I was there (Traverse City meeting = great location), but the bigger Detroit (southeast) one was more ho-hum in concrete jungle.
NC was pretty good; I went there a few times back when I had that license and was networking for possible jobs.
These will all be puny on EBM and real info compared to the good meetings above... the Apma national is the biggest joke, and it's accordingly been dropping for years on attendance.
ACFAS has most of the best edu stuff. ASC is the biggest podiatry meeting by a mile; they've had a fair bit of F&A orthos at the past few also. Their division and "on the road" stuff is good too, but it's still fairly expensive if you can't write it off or get a CME allowance. I do a lot of the ACFAS OnDemand stuff to make up any gaps if I'm short for a renew cycle.
For in-person, depends on the location, timing, cost... usually ACFAS, PI, GTEF, IFAF, others. AOFAS is worth going once if near you and driving distance (probably not twice). I did West Penn, and it was real good for a smallish meeting (mostly alumni speaking). Once you are past associate income, the real cost of these is the missed clinic revenue, though (PP owner/partner $$ or hospital podiatrist Rvu missed).
State meetings are fine if they have ppl you like or stuff to do there... might have some updates or ideas on laws or insurances that are pertinent to you.
NMex really hiked the non-member (non-APMA) rate and gave short notice, so I'm not there this year. I will go some years. It was fair when I've attended.
Mich let you pick which division you joint and had pretty good ones for the northeast division back when I was there (Traverse City meeting = great location), but the bigger Detroit (southeast) one was more ho-hum in concrete jungle.
NC was pretty good; I went there a few times back when I had that license and was networking for possible jobs.
These will all be puny on EBM and real info compared to the good meetings above... the Apma national is the biggest joke, and it's accordingly been dropping for years on attendance.
I already know how to do surgery. I learn more from texting friends who trained across the country and leverage their own networks that I do at ACFAS. Honestly the stuff I need to learn/remember is the medicine side of stuff. ACFAS is mostly worthless to me other than seeing friends .There is only so much time for Cme, so I think it's worth getting quality...
ACFAS has most of the best edu stuff. ASC is the biggest podiatry meeting by a mile; they've had a fair bit of F&A orthos at the past few also. Their division and "on the road" stuff is good too, but it's still fairly expensive if you can't write it off or get a CME allowance. I do a lot of the ACFAS OnDemand stuff to make up any gaps if I'm short for a renew cycle.
For in-person, depends on the location, timing, cost... usually ACFAS, PI, GTEF, IFAF, others. AOFAS is worth going once if near you and driving distance (probably not twice). I did West Penn, and it was real good for a smallish meeting (mostly alumni speaking). Once you are past associate income, the real cost of these is the missed clinic revenue, though (PP owner/partner $$ or hospital podiatrist Rvu missed).
State meetings are fine if they have ppl you like or stuff to do there... might have some updates or ideas on laws or insurances that are pertinent to you.
NMex really hiked the non-member (non-APMA) rate and gave short notice, so I'm not there this year. I will go some years. It was fair when I've attended.
Mich let you pick which division you joint and had pretty good ones for the northeast division back when I was there (Traverse City meeting = great location), but the bigger Detroit (southeast) one was more ho-hum in concrete jungle.
NC was pretty good; I went there a few times back when I had that license and was networking for possible jobs.
These will all be puny on EBM and real info compared to the good meetings above... the Apma national is the biggest joke, and it's accordingly been dropping for years on attendance.
"Medicine"
Dr. Cox: Did you actually just page me to find out how much Tylenol to give to Mrs. Lenzer?
JD: I was worried it could exacerbate the patient’s—
Dr. Cox: It’s regular-strength Tylenol. Here’s what you do. Get her to open her mouth, take a handful, and throw it at her. Whatever sticks, that’s the correct dosage.
Dr. Cox: Did you actually just page me to find out how much Tylenol to give to Mrs. Lenzer?
JD: I was worried it could exacerbate the patient’s—
Dr. Cox: It’s regular-strength Tylenol. Here’s what you do. Get her to open her mouth, take a handful, and throw it at her. Whatever sticks, that’s the correct dosage.
Can't teach an old golden retriever new antibiotics... consult IM, ID, real doctors for that stuff.I already know how to do surgery. I learn more from texting friends who trained across the country and leverage their own networks that I do at ACFAS. Honestly the stuff I need to learn/remember is the medicine side of stuff. ACFAS is mostly worthless to me other than seeing friends .
We need to stay up to date on our neuroma and hammertoe surgeries that have 65% success, those fibromyalgia tarsal tunnel surgeries with CRPS after, and our bunion repairs that have 40% recurrence. The longer I am doing this, the more I realize why MDs don't want foot surgery.
Who hurt youCan't teach an old golden retriever new antibiotics... consult IM, ID, real doctors for that stuff.
We need to stay up to date on our neuroma and hammertoe surgeries that have 65% success, those fibromyalgia tarsal tunnel surgeries with CRPS after, and our bunion repairs that have 40% recurrence. The longer I am doing this, the more I realize why MDs don't want foot surgery.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my state, they make a distinction between online resources and live online interactive conferences. I forget the exact terminology. But basically if you're watching the presentations live, it counts just as well as if you flew out someplace.
ACFAS is becoming decreasing relevant to me, there was one year I thought the might as well change their name to ACAS.
Present podiatry is absolute trash. My residency director made us do one lecture per week. So I would play a presentation, go round on patients, come back, take the quiz til I passed, and download the certificate.
The one thing it was good for, apart from being a convenient way to get raw CME, was getting ABPM MOC points, which they have thankfully done away with.
Speaking of ABPM, the ACPM has an annual conference which I would check out if they ever scheduled it Q1.
Next March I plan to go to the ACPPS (sp?) medical economics conference. Might be the future of podiatry, might be utter snake oil.
ACFAS is becoming decreasing relevant to me, there was one year I thought the might as well change their name to ACAS.
Present podiatry is absolute trash. My residency director made us do one lecture per week. So I would play a presentation, go round on patients, come back, take the quiz til I passed, and download the certificate.
The one thing it was good for, apart from being a convenient way to get raw CME, was getting ABPM MOC points, which they have thankfully done away with.
Speaking of ABPM, the ACPM has an annual conference which I would check out if they ever scheduled it Q1.
Next March I plan to go to the ACPPS (sp?) medical economics conference. Might be the future of podiatry, might be utter snake oil.
Couple of quick stories about my state’s conference:
-They flew out a guy to lecture to us about a plantarflexory osteotomy of the 1st met for hallux limitus. The fixation looked crazy, like half plate half IM nail. Claimed he had done 100’s of these with all good results.
-Had a guy who was running for governor come talk to us for some reason.
-Every year has at least 1-2 sessions basically about how to make more money in PP.
-Lecture on MIBS, boomer pod in the crowd was basically heckling him the whole time about it because he doesn’t believe in it. Then bombarded him in the question portion at the end of his lecture basically attacking the procedure.
Would love to hear any funny or random things you all have seen at conferences.
-They flew out a guy to lecture to us about a plantarflexory osteotomy of the 1st met for hallux limitus. The fixation looked crazy, like half plate half IM nail. Claimed he had done 100’s of these with all good results.
-Had a guy who was running for governor come talk to us for some reason.
-Every year has at least 1-2 sessions basically about how to make more money in PP.
-Lecture on MIBS, boomer pod in the crowd was basically heckling him the whole time about it because he doesn’t believe in it. Then bombarded him in the question portion at the end of his lecture basically attacking the procedure.
Would love to hear any funny or random things you all have seen at conferences.
In house CME free 4 or so month free - podiatryThrow your best CME suggestions in here for online or in person.
For me -ACFAS on demand is solid case discussion.
In house CME free podiatry !Throw your best CME suggestions in here for online or in person.
For me -ACFAS on demand is solid case discussion.
LuckyCouple of quick stories about my state’s conference:
-They flew out a guy to lecture to us about a plantarflexory osteotomy of the 1st met for hallux limitus. The fixation looked crazy, like half plate half IM nail. Claimed he had done 100’s of these with all good results.
-Had a guy who was running for governor come talk to us for some reason.
-Every year has at least 1-2 sessions basically about how to make more money in PP.
-Lecture on MIBS, boomer pod in the crowd was basically heckling him the whole time about it because he doesn’t believe in it. Then bombarded him in the question portion at the end of his lecture basically attacking the procedure.
Would love to hear any funny or random things you all have seen at conferences.
Our state conference has a long segment where the speaker (an ancient TFP) shames the crowd about not donating enough money to APMA
A few years ago in Texas they shamed us about giving to APMA and TPMA (apparently the number of donors is pitiful). Like - you are doxing yourself if you say you give money. And then - they tell you they want you to GO to funding raising events for your local area state delegates and give small-mid size donations in person. Even if you disagree or would vote against the candidate you would ideally put yourself forward as a local podiatrist and try to donate at least a few times to try and get their consideration for when it comes time to vote on in state bills.Lucky
Our state conference has a long segment where the speaker (an ancient TFP) shames the crowd about not donating enough money to APMA
I’m pretty sure it’s an annual segment. They like to single out the younger practitioners especially and basically call us leeches. Didn’t you know we are standing on the shoulders of the pod gods who came before us? They don’t seem to factor in that most of us work for peanuts as an associate and are on the brink of defaulting on enormous school loansA few years ago in Texas they shamed us about giving to APMA and TPMA (apparently the number of donors is pitiful). Like - you are doxing yourself if you say you give money. And then - they tell you they want you to GO to funding raising events for your local area state delegates and give small-mid size donations in person. Even if you disagree or would vote against the candidate you would ideally put yourself forward as a local podiatrist and try to donate at least a few times to try and get their consideration for when it comes time to vote on in state bills.
Yeah, dem whipper snappers need to take the Usmle, do longer residency, do fellowships, and work harder as associates... so that the older pods count the money and can say "podiatrists are well trained" in their marketing and insurance negotiations.I’m pretty sure it’s an annual segment. They like to single out the younger practitioners especially and basically call us leeches. Didn’t you know we are standing on the shoulders of the pod gods who came before us? They don’t seem to factor in that most of us work for peanuts as an associate and are on the brink of defaulting on enormous school loans
Nothing is new. Time is a wheel. We are the same as our podiatry forefathers.Yeah, dem whipper snappers need to take the Usmle, do longer residency, do fellowships, and work harder as associates... so that the older pods count the money and can say "podiatrists are well trained" in their marketing and insurance negotiations.![]()
A bit expensive... but good to go once if you can. I liked it.Anyone been to the AOFAS meetings ? What’s your take away ?
(but keep in mind you have a few AOFAS guys at most ACFAS ASC now too)
The ortho ones are better lectures, they discuss their fails/complications better, decent size but not ACFAS meeting size... and you get a different color badge.
You will be reminded what you are (PODIATRIST, not non-member physician).
Last edited:
Nice at least we're at parity in terms of pricing. What stops a podiatrist from registering as "non-member allied health?" And do AOFAS CME count for us? Obviously they're not accredited by CPME.A bit expensive... but good to go once if you can. I liked it.
(but keep in mind you have a few AOFAS guys at most ACFAS ASC now too)
The ortho ones are better lectures, they discuss their fails/complications better, decent size but not ACFAS meeting size... and you get a different color badge.
You will be reminded what you are (PODIATRIST, not non-member physician).
Pride. We’re foot & ankle surgeons. Some of us even fellowship trained. We endured years of crusty toenails to amputate infected toes, reconstruct feet and ankles, and salvage limbs. Apparently that’ll be an extra $725.Nice at least we're at parity in terms of pricing. What stops a podiatrist from registering as "non-member allied health?" And do AOFAS CME count for us? Obviously they're not accredited by CPME.
This hits home. After I got board certified it's really hard for me to justify some of the elective surgeries I have been doing. Ironically the ones people remembered me for are always pus cases, or "limb salvage" lol The PCPs all talk to me about how I saved a patient's foot, but I rarely hear them talking about bunion or flatfoot patients, even though they are 10x more challenging on a technical and social level.We need to stay up to date on our neuroma and hammertoe surgeries that have 65% success, those fibromyalgia tarsal tunnel surgeries with CRPS after, and our bunion repairs that have 40% recurrence. The longer I am doing this, the more I realize why MDs don't want foot surgery.
I remembered talking to a rheumatologist regarding post-op care for an 1st MTPJ fusion patient and she was quite confused about bone healing when I mentioned arthrodesis. Many in the medical world still think bunion surgery means shaving off the bump and it's no big deal.
BeaverBlade
Full Member
bunion surgery is hard.This hits home. After I got board certified it's really hard for me to justify some of the elective surgeries I have been doing. Ironically the ones people remembered me for are always pus cases, or "limb salvage" lol The PCPs all talk to me about how I saved a patient's foot, but I rarely hear them talking about bunion or flatfoot patients, even though they are 10x more challenging on a technical and social level.
I remembered talking to a rheumatologist regarding post-op care for an 1st MTPJ fusion patient and she was quite confused about bone healing when I mentioned arthrodesis. Many in the medical world still think bunion surgery means shaving off the bump and it's no big deal.
But there’s a lot of error in procedure selection that is usually the downfall. Example: MIS for everyone
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad