Best Tablet for school ?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3boysdad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. What tablet do you have and best feature's.:)
  2. What do you dislike about it ?:(
  3. What tablet is your school issueing to you ? If at all.
  4. What's the perfect / ultimate tablet.
  1. I've had an M200 for three years and love the weight(4.3), battery life(4+hrs) and high resolution(1400x1050).
  2. Once in a while I miss my cd/dvd drive, came with portable drive though
  3. DCOM has issued us Gateway M285-E: Convertible Laptop. A 7+lb powerhouse, with low/standard (VGA) resolution.
  4. Have to go with my 12.1"/4.3lb/4.5hr tablet. None better out their yet that has a keyboard.

Members don't see this ad.

LMAO! Sorry, but I think we are stuck with it.:oops: :)

1. I've had an M200 for three years and love the weight(4.3), battery life(4+hrs) and high resolution(1400x1050).
  3. DCOM has issued us Gateway M285-E: Convertible Laptop. A 7+lb powerhouse, with low/standard (VGA) resolution.
  4. Have to go with my 12.1"/4.3lb/4.5hr tablet. None better out their yet that has a keyboard.

Why are we going to lug it around on our arms? If you need something in rotations, I would suggest a PDA -many med school give/require them.

As for having it on campus, I will have mine with me at all times. But, I am going to leave my books in the car and go get them when we need them (since we can park right by the building). They are certainly going to be too heavy to carry!

Members don't see this ad :)
At ATSU-Mesa they're making us buy a Lenovo Tablet. Not yet sure which model.

1. Acer C314 - sturdy, built in DVD-R optical drive->hot swappable extra battery=7 hrs battery life, really nice feel and good size for keyboard, blue tooth
  2. 1024x768 max res., no option for outdoor viewable screen
  3. none
  4. depends on your needs/price range - Fujitsu makes some nice (and expensive) tablets

we are issued the gateways here and I like mine, but in addition we have the Dell Axioms for rotations or whatever, we get a new one during third year, but can use the one we have now for the first two years.

I like the tablets and what they offer software wise for sure. I love ONENOTE, and use it for all of my notetaking.

The fact that it's the same one for everyone is nice so IT can fix yours if something goes wrong and just hand you a loaner with your HD in it and you don't skip a beat.

Maybe it isn't the best tablet around, but the fact that they are giving us a tablet laptop is something we should all be thankful for. If you remember, we were originally going to have to pay 1500 for these computers before they got the educational grant.

Yep, you won't see me complaining about getting a free 1500-2000 dollar computer. :)

I can understand frustration if you're forced to pay for something.

:laugh: No complaining here either. Not what I would pick, but it is free!:D :thumbup:

Suck it up ... Nancy.

Why is such a high resolution so important? The computer being used is not designed for video games or dvd watching (although it is more than capable of doing both). Besides, I'd rather have a larger screen and deal with the extra weight. It will be spending 95% of the time on a table or desk, so who cares about the weight. The computer DCOM has issued has great specs all around, and has a battery that will last just as long as yours, and an optional battery that will last longer. Overall, it is a great computer and will be more than capable of doing what we need it to do.

I bought the Lenovo X41 last year and am thrilled with it. No CD in it, but there's one in the dock. I also dont like onenote and do like gobinder.

The lenovo is easy to write on, easy to save stuff on, love the fingerprint reader love the light weight of it, it's had stuff spilled on it for heaven's sake and it still works just fine.

Hmm. what do I dislike about it. So far I can't really think of anything....

No their is a $4-5000 entry in the 1st yr for laptop and 4 yr service contract.
It's NOT free.:mad:

Since we'll be paying for it... all I'm saying is give us 2 or 3 choices.

Love OneNote, records audio and tags handwritten notes, or typed notes.

2nd battery is very cool !!

What do you mean?

2nd battery is very cool !!

:eek: :confused: :scared: WHAT?!?!

Wait, I think I figured out what you are talking about. On DCOM's site it lists this:
Tuition
$30,000.00
Fees
$130.00
Books, Medical Equipment, Laptop Computer, Supplies
$5,000.00

Room (includes rent and utilities)
$6,905.00
Board
$3,500.00
Transportation
$2,600.00
Other (includes medical, clothing, etc.)
$4,375.00

But, if you go to the detailed description, it doesn't include a laptop. http://www.lmunet.edu/DCOM/pdfs/budget_detailed.pdf

The $5000 is broken down as $3000 for books, $1000 for medical equipement, $50 for uniforms, and $950 for other supplies. Don't stress. It is not a scam.:)

:cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:;)

We'll pay for it somewhere in the numbers....
No big deal in the big scheme.:cool:

When I interviewed, they said they originally were planning on making everyone buy a computer. But, they then recieved a grant so now the computers will be free. Yes they are budgeted for, but you will not have to give the $$$ to the school. The future classes will likely purchase thiers.