Best Telehealth/EHR Platform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanpsychdoc

Clinical Psychologist & Assistant Professor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I dissolved my previous LLC in Ohio and am in the process of opening up my PLLC here in Texas. Back in Ohio, I used SimplePractice for my telelhealth, scheduling, EHR stuff. They are a bit pricy to be honest. It would be great to get ideas from others who use telehealth in some fashion to deliver their services in private practice, and if you do, what have you found to be useful, worthwhile, and cost-effective.

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno about cost, but the practice I work at uses Theranest and I generally like it.

Reactions: 1 user
I use Theranest at my current organization and it's pretty smooth. For small practices, it cost about $40/month and for their built-in teletherapy platform, another $12/month. I have not used the teletherapy option because I heard it can be a bit of a pain (if the connection is lost, the therapist must create a new room and send that instead of just rejoining the same one) so I use doxy.me instead. It's free, HIPAA-compliant, pretty stable, and very easy to use. Good luck!

*edit: the Theranest issue I outlined above seems like it's no longer a problem

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Therapymate, $30/month, tiered by number of clients, not number of clinicians, which saves quite a bit for a group practice/partnership. Works well for me overall, and when I’ve had an issue, the creator of the software gets back to me quickly and has taken my suggestions seriously. Great customer service.

I use Theranest at my current organization and it's pretty smooth. For small practices, it cost about $40/month and for their built-in teletherapy platform, another $12/month. I have not used the teletherapy option because I heard it can be a bit of a pain (if the connection is lost, the therapist must create a new room and send that instead of just rejoining the same one) so I use doxy.me instead. It's free, HIPAA-compliant, pretty stable, and very easy to use. Good luck!

Just a note: I've been using Theranest for telehealth for the last two years and have never had that happen. If the connection is lost, either person can rejoin, no problem.

Just a note: I've been using Theranest for telehealth for the last two years and have never had that happen. If the connection is lost, either person can rejoin, no problem.
Thanks Minilop for clarifying! Now that I think about it, I recall that being a problem right about when I started my latest program about two years ago so it must have been remedied since then.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm also in the market for an EMR. Any and all suggestions are welcome. If there are any EMRs that were trash and should be avoided, knowing that too would help.

I have resisted an EMR bc I'm a low volume neuropsych practice, but something is better than nothing at this point. I mostly need it for tracking schedules, easier access to notes/uploading notes, cloud backup, etc. I'd love something that allows me to send (new patient) paperwork electronically, which most seem to do these days. Telehealth stuff would be nice, as having it all in one place would be easier than utilizing separate 3rd party services. I don't need any billing integration, as I don't take commercial or gov't insurances. Cost isn't a huge concern, though I'm hoping to keep it <$200mon.

Here is a quick comparison I found, though I'm open to more options than are covered in the review: Compare the Best Mental Health Practice Management Software

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not to hijack this thread, but I'm also in the market for an EMR. Any and all suggestions are welcome. If there are any EMRs that were trash and should be avoided, knowing that too would help.

I have resisted an EMR bc I'm a low volume neuropsych practice, but something is better than nothing at this point. I mostly need it for tracking schedules, easier access to notes/uploading notes, cloud backup, etc. I'd love something that allows me to send (new patient) paperwork electronically, which most seem to do these days. Telehealth stuff would be nice, as having it all in one place would be easier than utilizing separate 3rd party services. I don't need any billing integration, as I don't take commercial or gov't insurances. Cost isn't a huge concern, though I'm hoping to keep it <$200mon.

Here is a quick comparison I found, though I'm open to more options than are covered in the review: Compare the Best Mental Health Practice Management Software

Suggestions?

I mentioned earlier I used simple practice in my previous LLC. You can do everything telehealth. You can schedule appointments, conduct video appointments, send docs that are fillable electronically. You get alerted when everything is submitted back to you by the patient. They have an "okay" library of forms and some screening measures. I think I was paying $30/month with them. I was just wanting to see if there was anything better and/or cheaper

Reactions: 2 users
I switched from Simplepractice to Therapynotes for a few reasons. It’s slightly less expensive and i have used the telehealth portion with no major issues. The insurance billing is very smooth and easy with it so that could be a plus for some. If you like customizing note templates, then it might not be a good choice because there is no option for that. At first, that annoyed me, but have adjusted pretty quickly and not really an issue anymore.

I'm still with simple practice after starting out with them 4 years ago. Price has gone up and features have increased. I like the ease of billing, customizable templates, digital everything, secure messaging, mobile app, customer service. I don't like the % cost increase (from ~$40/month to $69/month) or the offers to build a personal website (Monarch) I don't need or want. I'm on the mid-tier plan and have considered switching to something cheaper; I end up staying mostly out of ease and "if it's not broke don't fix it" mentality. Simple practice works well enough for my needs and I'm not seriously considering a move. If I was starting new again I might be more motivated to try other platforms.

I use Therapy Appointment for my solo practice. It ends up costing about $70/month (without telehealth option.) I did not put much research into selecting it (just used it because that's what my friend uses) but I have no complaints. I briefly tried the telehealth option in the early days of the pandemic and found it unreliable, but I would think they have their act together more at this point!