Best time to complete CSS Profile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tunaktunak

Reaction score
FAFSA aid is rolling, but what about CSS Profile? Is it better to complete it ASAP or only once you have an acceptance in hand?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume that it is best to fill it out ASAP. One of the schools I interviewed at asked us to fill it out sooner rather than later, even though acceptances wouldn't be given out for another few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we get money from Fafsa for medical school?
No. FAFSA is a form schools use to collect information to decide whether THEY want to give you need-based aid. Federal loans are available for everyone, but there are no federal grants for med school.

What is CSS ? Separate from FAFSA ?
Yup! If you don't know what it is, your schools are probably not requiring it! Also, it's really just used for institutional need-based aid, so if you wouldn't be eligible for that there is no need to submit.

FAFSA aid is rolling, but what about CSS Profile? Is it better to complete it ASAP or only once you have an acceptance in hand?

It depends on the school, so I would check each school you're interviewing at what their financial aid application timeline looks like. Most schools have a deadline around mid-March or two weeks after acceptance, so you can wait until after you've been accepted to submit. Some schools have deadlines before you find out about acceptance, in which case you should submit asap.

Anyone know if it's possible to add schools to the list after submitting the CSS profile?

It is possible to add after submitting CSS, you just have to pay for each school.

FAFSA is free, but you can only list 10 schools at once. So if you have to add other schools, you have to go back and remove schools.

It depends on the school, so I would check each school you're interviewing at what their financial aid application timeline looks like. Most schools have a deadline around mid-March or two weeks after acceptance, so you can wait until after you've been accepted to submit. Some schools have deadlines before you find out about acceptance, in which case you should submit asap.

It is possible to add after submitting CSS, you just have to pay for each school.

FAFSA is free, but you can only list 10 schools at once. So if you have to add other schools, you have to go back and remove schools.

Thank you! Yeah the wording on the CSS profile made me think that you pay per submission rather than per school you add. So I thought it'd be better to wait and see if any other schools require CSS for me to submit it. But if it's per school, I'll just submit it now and add more if required later. Thanks again :)