Best time to interview: early or late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanbeckworth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some theorize that a later interview will be better as it allows you to stand out more than people who did theirs earlier in the season. It's also thought that taking an interview later is good for one's favorite program(s). The latter idea certainly makes sense. However, do people feel that waiting until later is worth it? Myself, I'd just as soon go early and get it out of the way. Also this opens up the doors to interviews that are offered later in the year by a program, increasing the total you can pick from.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with your thoughts. I believe that Iserson's Getting into residency book recc's interviewing later for the reason that you've stated, but there are clearly advantages to interviewing early as well, one of them being the ability to gauge how many more interviews you should be going to/scheduling earlier in the process. I think that interviewing at one of your safety schools first would be a good idea to get a feel for the interview process, and then interviewing at your assumed top choice would also be a good idea to see if there needs to be any change in your assumed top choice and so you can get a feel for what kind of a chance you have at getting into your top choice.

"and then interviewing at your assumed top choice would also be a good idea to see if there needs to be any change in your assumed top choice and so you can get a feel for what kind of a chance you have at getting into your top choice."

That's a good point. Right now, I have an interview at Columbia, which I believe is where I'd most like to attend. Probably won't change my mind, but you never know.